• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Epsom salt

Just a quick question for anyone who can help... Purchased some epsom salt for my plants and have been reading up online. Some suggest mixing 2 tbsp in a spray bottle and spraying/soaking entire plant, one suggested sprinkling on soil around plant, and i also saw mixing 2 tbsp in a gallon of water and watering. Does anyone who uses this have any recomendations on best way to apply? Would greatly appreciate it :)

1 Tsp per qt spray bottle will do. Disolve in warm water and always shake the liquid before misting entire plant, tops and underneath the leaves. I mist once a week (never while the HID's) are running.
I don't recommend putting any salt into the soil.

Greg

1 Tsp per qt spray bottle will do. Disolve in warm water and always shake the liquid before misting entire plant, tops and underneath the leaves. I mist once a week (never while the HID's) are running.
I don't recommend putting any salt into the soil.

Greg
+1 i do the very same thing, its cheap and does the job nicely

thanks your friend Joe

It doesnt hurt anything to put it on the soil. The only difference is that it will absord into the plant quicker if you foliar feed.

Always wondered about the best way to use epsom salt. My mom used to sprinkle it on top of the soil around the stem. I think spraying would be the better application method.
Thanks for the info.

Just a quick question for anyone who can help... Purchased some epsom salt for my plants and have been reading up online. Some suggest mixing 2 tbsp in a spray bottle and spraying/soaking entire plant, one suggested sprinkling on soil around plant, and i also saw mixing 2 tbsp in a gallon of water and watering. Does anyone who uses this have any recomendations on best way to apply? Would greatly appreciate it :)

What are the benefits of using Epson Salt, will someone please explain?

That depends. Some do a tablespoon pet gallon every couple weeks watered in, some do teaspoon per gallon foliar spray and some do teaspoon per when they look like they may need it. I personally do 1/4 teaspoon per gallon everytime I water and a couple times a week foliar spray a fert epsom solution.

Well if your soil already has plenty of magnesium, using epsom salt will throw off the balance and calcium can get tied up. I guess I am a soil test nerd.

i also suggest an occasional foliar feed instead of watering it in, but my sole reasoning behind that is i have no idea how heavy or light my soil normally is with nutrients.... and dont want to overfeed and have nutrient burn.

Is there a difference between epsom salts bought at a plant store and that bought in the bath section of a supermarket?
no, just make sure it says EPSOM salts (magnesium sulphate) NOT BATH salts. bath salts could be anything, and there not allways good for your plants.
i accidentaly made this mistake a while back, i asked my little sister to use some of her epsom salts, next day when the plants all looked like death i realised they were BATH salts :cry: the plants are still not looking right.

EPSOM salts (magnesium sulphate) = GOOD
Any other type of salt (eg Bath) = BAD

I buy pharmaceutical grade Epsom Salts at the drug store, meant to be used as a laxative. It is better quality than the stuff they sell at the dollar store, which is meant for baths.

Back