• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2018

Hi all! I've disappeared for a while and here it is my new glog!
Smaller than ever.
Just 3 varieties and an overwinter. And no supers.

VRFAuX.jpg

Just started.
11 Dedo de Moca
11 Datil
11 Brown Jalapeno

And the overwinter, a red rocoto (that has been somewhat devastated by hail):
lfuYyt.jpg

Ripening pods!!!!
Really, that one did set some pods but noone ripened... I decided to leave them be and then that surpise!

That's just all for now!

Thanks!

So the biggest jalapeno has pods:

ZgHTYk.jpg

I've left plants outside 2 days ago and tonight too.

So we started the course, not much photos...
Saturday we mainly spoke and made knots and we made a descent.
Today i hadn't the chance to take much photos, i had my phone on the backpack. I've used crampoons and iceaxe and they are awesome tools. I'm happy with my rampoons, they're just manual but they haven't moved a bit.
We hike to reach a scree then we applied some techniques, the funniest one was self arrest, we were harnessed and we launched ourself down the scree and we had to stop with iceaxe. Also creating anchors was interesting.
Snow was a bit soft but sure, still i collapsed quite a lot. Surface was inclined about 40°, honest.

I took just that at the end:
fURdMG.jpg

Now i post those 3 stolen form whatsapp group:
kt5T3M.jpg

M04s9f.jpg

6IjL35.jpg

It was a bit cold when we stoppen in shade (and our group has always been in shade :rofl: ), but i sweated so much, it was hot and wet.

Thanks, Rick!
That Jalapeno Brown just doesn't stop!

c0aSMU.jpg

4EoCvh.jpg

This is an experiment... Raisins with grappa and with brandy. I'll see in 3 months.

Just a random photo of Lumignano:
9zfNa8.jpg

In those rocks there are lots of ways.

And yesterday i went to Grappa via Sass Brusai, that means burnt stones. Cool hike.

Approach was quite steep at some point:
0WM1yI.jpg

The start was the most difficult part:
5QeTjS.jpg

Up there's still some snow...
RSW7oL.jpg

It was cool, with some difficult passages and many easier.
Cyj3lU.jpg

Some WW trenches.
K78RJ9.jpg

There were many chamoises, at least 6 on that pic
bG2F5L.jpg

That was a nice sight facing dolomites.
X9QOlb.jpg

Nice pics of your Jalapenos and your trip! I'd be interested in your take on the pickled grapes... when I was a kid, I helped one of my Dad's co-workers, Giacomo Pisoni (who was originally from Tuscany) press grapes for wine, and make grappa from the pulp and skins of the grapes after all the juice was squeezed out. After the fermentation was over, he'd run it through a clay pot still and make the grappa. He only made a few gallons a year, so it had to last at least that long. My dad had a Gravely tractor and would till Giacomo's garden every spring. Giacomo's wife Ena would make Dad a meal and he'd share a glass of grappa with Giacomo. The first time they did this, he gave dad the glass of grappa before he did the tilling job, and dad said afterwards he couldn't have plowed a straight furrow to save his life! :rofl:

Very nice Giancarlo!

The Jalapeno seems very happy ;)  One just have to love all the Annuum's...

Congrats on the accent, but what goes up must come down. How does that part go?

Jalapeno gets always better:
C4EBbH.jpg

I guess i can't pretend a 100% standard shape since they're the brown variation, but there's nothing to complain until now.

Dedo De Mocas still growing in height...
Datil looks fine, now they're starting a bit to grow. Rain is needed.

Today we went to a vajo, that is how steep gorges of Piccole Dolomiti are called (it means valley in dialect):
tGMPT0.jpg

It got steeper and steeper and at the end around 50°. Not so difficult if you are not first like me.

From end of that:
fvru97.jpg

I couldn't take a proper photo...

Way down after some test maneuver:
3EEVzz.jpg

Snow was good here.
Pretty amazing considering how hot those days have been. Now i'm done with snow until end of June...

Some landscape:
52Lhco.jpg

pL4uwP.jpg

stickman said:
Nice pics of your Jalapenos and your trip! I'd be interested in your take on the pickled grapes... when I was a kid, I helped one of my Dad's co-workers, Giacomo Pisoni (who was originally from Tuscany) press grapes for wine, and make grappa from the pulp and skins of the grapes after all the juice was squeezed out. After the fermentation was over, he'd run it through a clay pot still and make the grappa. He only made a few gallons a year, so it had to last at least that long. My dad had a Gravely tractor and would till Giacomo's garden every spring. Giacomo's wife Ena would make Dad a meal and he'd share a glass of grappa with Giacomo. The first time they did this, he gave dad the glass of grappa before he did the tilling job, and dad said afterwards he couldn't have plowed a straight furrow to save his life! :rofl:
Haha Rick, niice story! Sounds like good old days! ;)
When i open some of those pickles i must remember to tell here. Maybe on 25th July when it's my dad birthday.

chelicerae said:
Nice sunny (and adventurous) trip! "The start was the most difficult part" is a great shot.

Good to see jalapeño pods too.
Thanks!
I can't wait for those penos!

Devv said:
Very nice Giancarlo!

The Jalapeno seems very happy ;)  One just have to love all the Annuum's...

Congrats on the accent, but what goes up must come down. How does that part go?
Thanks! After the ferrata we hiked our way to the peak, made a good stop at shelter with a good beer, then descended by a standard hiking route. Usually vie ferrate must be used to climb and not to descend (at least not to hamper who's using them correcly). ;)

Time for an update!

Dedo De Mocas slowed a bit when put on ground but now they are resuming thei relentless path to greatness:
4RA1KB.jpg

rFjDbe.jpg

Now over 1 meter.

Also i hope to have soon pods:
gn6oPK.jpg

The second Jalapeno Brown plants don't produces pods as big as the first, but they are more:
8lo8A4.jpg

This is one of the biggest of the other plant:
Y3xhGE.jpg

Datils aren't that big but are fine:
tEB8Nv.jpg

Cg1bLX.jpg

PTsugv.jpg

And setting pods!

I got another course weekend... Soryy but i don't have photos. It was a cool place to climb but not with good panoramas as mountains. We went to Arco, there are maby many climbing routes here.

Saturday has been  funny, first we went to steep rocks to take confidence with climbing shoes and to practice maneuvers, rappeling and so on.
Then they made us climb on some small crag... I tried a couple of ways... First one was 5b and didn't seem that difficult, maybe i went off route. The second was 6a and the key point was too much for me, i overcame it with much time and helped by the guy that secured me that pulled a lot the rope here. I can say that crag is way much more funny than gym (not that i've been on gym that much).
The second day was bad... There was rain and i was in the group that went on the shaded part of the mountain... So we didn't much stuff while some others managed to make a full rock way. I was so envious.:D

Thanks, Scott!

Dedo De Moca are still growing:
IMGP2088.jpg

Here a pod:
IMGP2084.jpg

Datils:
IMGP2085.jpg

Those from the other plant:
IMGP2086.jpg

Not sure this one is the right shape...

And first haul!!!
IMGP2074.jpg

Here the biggest one:
IMG20180527194915808.jpg

Bigger plant has bigger pods, maybe with a bit thinner walls ans usually not much seeds:
IMG20180528182318661.jpg

Smaller, that is a tad more productive, maybe thicker and with more seeds:
IMG20180528182518875.jpg

Usual treatment:
IMG20180528210134056.jpg

Bigger pods were hotter, for sure much hotter than how a Jalapeno should be, i'd say noticeably hotter than Serrano.
While those were still awesome i prefer Serrano. Dunno why, maybe because they were smaller, they tasted even better. Also they were really productive.

IMG20180527WA0002.jpg

This is me on a very short crag way (it should be raetd 5b) as the first climber, my first try on that. I received twice a phone call and i managed to reply to the second one. :rofl:
After buying crampoons and the rest i thought my equipment expenses was done for that year... But no, seeing others i wanna buy a  good long rope and ten quickdraws. If i don't resist i'm going to throw another 200€ in. :P Today i bought the chalkbag just to start... At least i have one of the best equipment shops near where i work.

Great updates and beautiful pictures, Giancarlo. You've stoked my desire to return to Wyoming this year. Though I'll stick to the hiking trails and leave the rocks to others.

Here locally, I recently returned to a secret trail along which there are many, many Jack-in-the-pulpit wildflowers growing. At one point, I found myself stuck, one foot on a small rock, can't reach the rock above for a hand hold, and a steep, rocky slide below me into the lake. I crouched and leapt and fortunately my grip was good. Pulled myself up and went on my way. A friend later said I unleashed my inner youth. Perhaps. I do know I'm too old to be doing that alone.

Bacon-wrapped peppers... mmmmmm. What were they stuffed with?

tsurrie said:
Way to go Giancarlo. Just be careful up on these walls.
Congrats on the harvest. Pods are looking delicious, especially when wrapped up in that delicious sliced meat :)
Thanks! Indeeed being first, even just on crag, requires more care.

Devv said:
+1 on #53 ;)

That being said from a guy who despises ladders...LOL
Thanks, Scott!

Sawyer said:
Great updates and beautiful pictures, Giancarlo. You've stoked my desire to return to Wyoming this year. Though I'll stick to the hiking trails and leave the rocks to others.

Here locally, I recently returned to a secret trail along which there are many, many Jack-in-the-pulpit wildflowers growing. At one point, I found myself stuck, one foot on a small rock, can't reach the rock above for a hand hold, and a steep, rocky slide below me into the lake. I crouched and leapt and fortunately my grip was good. Pulled myself up and went on my way. A friend later said I unleashed my inner youth. Perhaps. I do know I'm too old to be doing that alone.

Bacon-wrapped peppers... mmmmmm. What were they stuffed with?
Mmh, it's always bad when rocks move... Once i had to offer a beer for that. :P
Sooner or later i want to go on an hard trekking... Maybe half north of GR20 and Selvaggio Blu, but i have to train to walk with heavy load for first. Also Alta Via of Dolomites look fabulous (and i've them near).

Those peppers were stuffed with Philadelphia and Cheddar Cheese. So good that i've yet to try something different.

Dedo de Moca gained about 25 cm in less than a week:

IMG20180604125122335.jpg

IMG20180604131917175.jpg

Left plant was the earlier and the biggest. I don't know why it's bare on the trunk, while the other looks better and now it's higher. Still it has more pods, i guess soon that will change too.

Datil seems decent producers:
IMG20180604125322488.jpg

Saturdy i went with friend to Becco di Fliadonna and Vigolana. It's said to be a very panoramic hike...
IMG20180602105045729.jpg

Not that day.

IMG20180602091205385.jpg

Alpacas at the shelter...

IMG20180602113922323.jpg

There were that strange hole, we guessed it could be between 50 and 100m wide...

IMG20180602122714110.jpg

That was the most beautiful part.

Yesterday some climbing at Rocca Penidice.. It's very particular since it has volcanic rock and it's different from crags:

IMG20180603190858164.jpg

Quite crowded...

IMG20180603180035321.jpg

Here our first try, our best man tried to open the way but we withdrawn and left a quickdraw here... Someone better than us then picked it up and returned it.

Sawyer said:
Any idea what created that hole?
Of course we didn't knew about that so we blamed aliens or alien worshippers. :rofl:
Honestly i can't find much infos, here are more photos:
http://www.gruppovigolana.it/pozza-arionda.html
I even haven't understood if true name il "Busa Della Caldera" or "Pozza Arionda" and if it's really a sinkhole.

Now a little rant: i went to a medic podiatrist to renew orhtotics. It wasn't a cheap one and proposed to visit me since i was a new customer. I wasn't even sure to do that and just ask for orhtotics, i had already been visiited many times from other medics and i had a prescription after all. But, screw that, this is health so care is never enough. Long story short: true that i have a Morton's neuroma but my problems aren't caused by that otherwise i'd have a much more intense pain. He said that i am extremely stiff with short muscles and that is the problem. So he ordered me to stretch every day 2 to 4 times. :eek:  :eek:  :eek: I just know that i feel better after that visit (i had some knee problems, probably i did something wrong at the gym). He didn't even wanted to make the orhtotics since he said it would be pretty useless (since that would have granted him at least other 100€ i believe that... Also, he fixed a bit the current ones :clap: ). Really, no one in 2-3 years even remotely thought that...

Sorry for the rant, now something better:
IMG20180605153118475.jpg

At last i bought a rope and 10 quickdraws... A burly 9,7mm, 80m long. For sure i'll regret that when i'll have to carry or repack it. :rofl:

While Datil and Dedo De Moca are taking a while to ripe, here a small jalapeno colored:
IMGP2101vert.jpg

Dedo De Moca now over 1.60 m!

Tonight i had a couple of birthday of some dear friends so i made chili and piadine:

IMG20180616175030724.jpg

As usual plus a laurel leave. That one has been really good.

IMG20180616182045781.jpg

I prepared a douigh for piadine, then i made balls...
Maybe i've yet to taste a proper piadina made on the right place but, in spite of my very custom recipe, i'm satisfied with those. I've used type 2 flour instead 0, half water and half wine (making the dough more hydrated than normal piadina dough), evo instead lard (honestly, i should try more with lard but i don't really care that much), no yeast and higher rest time.

Nothing fancy, but i was happy of the execution.
IMG20180616204300957.jpg

Some leftovers, good for next days!

And last weekend there was the penultimate exit with the course and the most interesting so far and by far. Unfortunately i couldn't go saturday for some serious problems, but i was able to go there sunday and they told me it has beed the better day. But on saturday they celebrated birthday and the guy offered a lot to drink. He got so drunk that he couldn't climb on sunday... :rofl: And, even more, i've been told that it wasn't even his birthday, he faked it just to make a party! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: It would have been cool to be here.

By the way my group went to 5 torri di (five towers of)  Falzarego. That's an enormously cool place. dolomites at their best, mountains here look fabuolous.

IMG20180610085456221.jpg

Here approaching the place.

Here where i went:
1101quartabassa1horz.jpg

First Quarta Torre Bassa (Fourt Tower, Low), up of 60m with 2 stops, then down 20m, up 40 (second photo) to Quarta Torre Alta (Fourth Tower, High), up another 40m with 1 stop. So 5 pitches... Then descended with just 1 stop and inside an hole, that was cool. It's rated IV.

Some sight at the top, with other guys climbing:
IMG20180610125110871.jpg

Here a bit of rappeling:
IMG20180610134043195.jpg

IMG20180610151732126.jpg

This is Sorapis, it's one of the mountains i'd like to climb. It should be easy but long, as i like.

IMG20180610151712557.jpg

The slope on the right is Lastoni di Formin, in the Croda da Lago group with other mountains behind.

Climbing here is much much cooler than crag, it's much more satisfying.

Back