• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Estimates on weekends

I'm a roofing estimator.  I've dealt with a lot of crap over the years.  When I did residential field estimates  ~12 years ago, people would complain to the company that a kid was there.  Contractors never expect the Sam that shows up to be a girl either.  I've been denied access to sites numerous times, even though I wear a company polo and have gear that makes it pretty obvious what I'm there for.  I don't go out in the field much anymore, but when I do I have an app that uses google earth to get satellite images of the roof, I just tap the corners and put in a measurement and it takes care of the rest.  It even creates proposals that I can email to the client while on the roof and doubles as a CRM system. Most days now I have to deal with GCs instead of directly with a client, and I am not very fond of them.  They give me blueprints with half assed roof plans, no details, sad excuses for specifications and then they try to get a better product for the same price that was quoted. I could go on... 

It seems when I go onsite, which is rare anymore, that there's never blueprints in the damn box (which is illegal) ...

I can totally relate to your woes though, my ex works with us still as a templater and she tells the same stories ... and then there's the whistling ...

Scoville DeVille said:
The only post in here that THP LIKED.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

SL said SHIT!!!!!! quoted and recorded! BOOM! hahahaha No DPSE hahahah

Onsite craftsmanship? Who does Solid Surface C-Tops on site?

You loco chica. :crazy: :rofl:
Haha...yeah.

5 pages of Olympics, what sport he played as a kid etc. was ok in the throwdown thread. I am confused now, more than ever.

there's a meme for that!

i'll drop it if only to share ...

0e00bd1d4ef21375204d10c1e4718f1c.jpg

Anyone care to show one of your Proposals / Invoices? I use Pages™ on my Mac, pretty basic but they work to send in PDF Format to customers.

I have a Word Doc template that I've customized. It emails good as a WordDoc or it can print/scan/email.....which is what I do for invoices because I refuse to pay more to QB for the "priviledge" of emailing directly from QB.

Geesh. I thought it was rough in commercial construction where you have customers that you do millions of dollars of work with beating on you to lower your price and speed up the schedule. :banghead:

Hell, I'd rather deal with that crap all day than have to put up with whiny homeowners all the time.

Which is why J has not done farmers markets forthe last 18 years.

And why he was in the mood to shoot(or seriously mame persons) while PM on a very large commercial electrical project.
80-90% of our jobs are through contractors.

When I get prints to look at I use the Edge for estimating and for part of the proposal.  Funny, when I started doing this 12 years ago I was using the edge, then jumped around to a couple other companies with different softwares, now I'm back on the Edge again.  It is the easiest and fastest software I've used for what I do, and there are many ways to customize it.  It took a couple days to set up, but I've got labor numbers, material numbers, taxes, and whatever mark up I want to put on it programmed in and I pretty much just digitize a plan and print out/email the reports.  I'll snap a couple pics next week if you guys are interested in seeing it.  

Seriously, This just happened. 
Same DB from last Friday when "Monday AM" didn't work for them.

This email... Today. Friday at 3:PM.

SMH.

:cheers:

IT'S MY WEEKEND TOO!

Call Home Depot. I have clients booked out 6 months and you act like this?

I bet you are a 26 y.o. gazzillionaire and have no clue what the world is like outside YOUR bubble.

You can't afford me. mwah.

PSSST....might want to VirtualSharpie the email out of that pic~~~

or not.....

On a lighter note....I'd like to see how far they are willing to go to meet with you during the normal m-f/8-4....It could be fun to string this out.  see how much they want a tile contractor...

Oh Sorry,,,,booked up but can you meet me WEDNESDAY?????

Seriouly!  Try It!!!  See if you can get them to meet you on a Wednesday.  You don't need them, they need you.  Let's see how MUCh they need you and CJ... :ROFLMAO: !!!

We prolly shouldn't be having this conversation on the everlasting interwhebz.  This is more like one of those....sitting on the deck, having a few hhwhiskies, bitching about customers kind of conversation....

I love your idea SL! It puts in more of a "fun" perspective, rather than the PIA category. I just don't laugh at this stuff as much as I should anymore!!! :) Thanks for helping me direct my thoughts toward a better trajectory!!!!!!! LOVE IT! :D

Whell then, My work on this Friday evening is done!   WOOT! 

Keep those PITAs at bay or at least make 'em pay....
-edit-   I didn't say that....

but I guess it does go with the company slogan...'We may be slow, but we are expensive."

Or was it ......

"You can have it FAST, RIGHT, or CHEAP>>>  Chose 2..."

Back