• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ever Use Too Much Epsom?

Hey everyone,

So I went by what I thought was a reliable source online (popular seed company whose name I'll leave out), and ended up using 2 tablespoons per gallon of water as a foliar spray. Even though this was in fact even less than that site recommended, it appears after additional research that I overdid it.

The spray was applied last night, and aside from the leaves feeling somewhat drier than normal, there hasn't been much of a noticeable impact as of yet. My question is- anyone have experience with an Epsom salt solution of this strength, and if everything looks mostly fine as of now, can I expect additional repercussions down the road? Luckily, we had some torrential downpours this afternoon, ~12 hours after the spray was applied, so I think anything that made it into the soil should be pretty much flushed out at this point. It's the leaves I'm worried about though (again, this was a foliar application).

Any advice or experience is very much appreciated! I'll get some pics up of my plants once the rain stops, but as I said no real noticeable issues thus far, just wondering if I'm in the clear or if the symptoms of too much magnesium (whatever those might be) are yet to be seen...

Thank you thank you!

John

Welcome WalkingStickman to THP.          
    2 Tbs of Epsom salt per Gallon does not sound like much to me for foliar feeding. I would bee comfortable with that on my Veggies.  
 I would be more concerned with what your tap water has in it!   being from the big city of NY I know for a fact that you have lots of Chlorine in that water.   Keep some 5 gallon buckets filled outdoors overnight to help leach out Chlorine gas. Agitation will help speed this process.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, and thanks for the advice PT!

Happy to hear it about the solution not necessarily being too strong, and great point about the chlorine. Do you know what kind of impact the chlorine might have on my pepper plants?

Also, happy to hear any other opinions regarding the Epsom salt.

Thanks guys!

I use about the same but water it in every few weeks. I also mix some into my soil. Never had any negative reactions. I don't do any foliar feeding.

What is epsom salt meant to provide to the plants?  See a lot of people talking about it... just not sure (new grower here) where it fits into their nutritional needs :)

hotjohn said:
What is epsom salt meant to provide to the plants?  See a lot of people talking about it... just not sure (new grower here) where it fits into their nutritional needs :)
Epsom Salt, aka magnesium sulfate. Meant to provide trace nutrients magnesium and sulfur mostly used as a foliar feed. Not sure about the science, but there are knowledgeable people on here who can explain. All I can say is I've been using it for 4 years with success.

hotjohn said:

Epsom salt is a highly soluble form of magnesium sulfate - so is good for correcting a lack of both magnesium and sulfur quickly and pepper plants are a magnesium-hungry crop.

The advantage of magnesium sulfate over other magnesium soil amendments (such as dolomitic lime) is its high solubility, which also allows the option of foliar feeding and since solutions of magnesium sulfate are also nearly neutral ph,  compared to other sources (ie. limestone) which are highly alkaline. The use of magnesium sulfate as a magnesium source for soil does not significantly change the soil pH.

So, as promised, pics of some of my favorite plants so far, in case anyone's interested...

Douglah plant...
Douglah%20full_zpsjtcswxin.jpg

Douglah fruit...

Douglah%20fruit%202_zpsjtmqlfyw.jpg

Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion plant...

Jay%20Full_zpsdkaztgyw.jpg

Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion fruit....

Jays%20Fruit%201_zpsqvaouqzs.jpg

Turkish Hot Bead plant...

Hot%20Beads%20Full_zpsd7tqo2eh.jpg

Turkish Hot Bead fruit...

Hot%20Beads%20Up%20Close_zpsmtzntp4w.jpg