• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Everything Red, Get In! - Ferment #1

Ok so i have a pile of peppers that were quickly wilting as I figured out what to do with them. After doing some reading and asking a few questions I went and built some fermenter lids with airlocks. 

Materials: 
  1. Ball wide-mouth plastic lids - 8 for $6.48
  2. Double bubble air locks - 3 for $5.99
  3. 3/8" ID electrical rubber grommets - $0.42 each at hardware store 

Instructions: 
  1. Drill 1/2" hole in plastic lid
  2. Stuff grommet into hole
  3. Smooth out seam on airlock tube with razor blade or sand paper so it seals well
  4. Put some olive oil on the grommet and slide the airlock through 

Fermented Hot Sauce by boostdemon, on Flickr

------------------------------------------

The mash I made consists of everything that I had laying around that was red. It made about 2.5 cups of mash from the following ingredients:

Top row: Vidalia Onion, 1/2 lime juiced, 1 clove of garlic, Cayenne
Middle row: Prik Chi Faa, Paper Lantern Habaneros, Jalapeños
Bottom row: Peter Pepper, Aji Brazilian Starfish, Brandywine Tomato

(the only two I grew are the Peter peppers and the tomato, the rest are from Juanitos Peppers)

Chopped and processed to a mash:

Then I added the mash to a bowl and mixed in the following: 

1/2 tsp of Cumin powder
1/2 tsp of Turmeric
1 tsp of Cinnamon 
1 tsp of Ginger powder
1 tbsp of Mortons pickling salt
1 cup of distilled water
1/4 tsp of whey from greek yogurt

Filled up the jar and put some distilled water in the airlock to the max fill line. 

Now I just wait to see if I grow lactobacillus or mold!
Checked it this morning and the water in the airlock is mostly in the bottle side of the trap - to me that indicates a vacuum in the jar? that normal for just starting out or should I redo it now while its still fresh?

No worries if its fully fermented. I just sent a bottle of hot sauce to Europe, it took almost two weeks to reach, and the person had no issues with that. However, a few batches ago, I pulled the sauce before it had finished and the the bottle overflowed when I opened it later. All you have to do is wait until you see no more bubbles at all, and the water separates to the top. Now I actually age it after its completely finished its second stage(some say third) fermentation and its very calm at that point to where there is almost no buildup. Play around with it, its your brew, I am not trying to tell you what to do or anything, just trying to help. Not everyone thinks like me, and so I understand that. My mindset is to make the best tasting, and most healthy hot sauce I can make if I can have it both ways. Some may not care about having the health benefits like I do, and that is okay. Enjoy either way! Both ways I am sure will produce great tasting hot sauce.

AaronTT said:
No worries if its fully fermented. I just sent a bottle of hot sauce to Europe, it took almost two weeks to reach, and the person had no issues with that.
I can confirm, I am the lucky person to get that sauce! Thank you AaronTT ! The sauce is great! And hot, of course! And when I opened the cap, was like opening an empty bottle. I mean, no pressure inside. Great job!

rghm1u20 said:
I can confirm, I am the lucky person to get that sauce! Thank you AaronTT ! The sauce is great! And hot, of course! And when I opened the cap, was like opening an empty bottle. I mean, no pressure inside. Great job!
Thank you for the great review, and your very much welcome!

still waiting to process this one. I dunno, nervous maybe? I will get it done tomorrow i hope. Heres a current status picture.

DSF0698.jpg

I agree SnF!

Rough math says that badboy is 70 today.

Process and enjoy, after postin pics of course. :halo:

Back