• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Expand my pedestrian palette

Hey guys... New around here. Got to thinkin that I should branch out and add more heat to my cupboard. Right now in we'll versed in the large scale blasé hot sauce brands, kicking them to the curb in favor of my own sauces and salsas from garden grown jalapeños and haberneros. Adding a whole slew of new pepper types to my plot this year, figured the time was nigh I should try new sauces as well.

What's your favorite hot sauce or salsa, and what do you pair it with?

New guy here too.  I made a salsa from one of the videos in this thread about authentic Mexican salsa:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35928-anyone-with-an-authentic-mexican-salsa-recepie/?hl=pico#entry733748

There is some great info about making a great salsa and pico too.  I did the roasted tomatoes with peppers, garlic, onion, and cilantro.  I found that roasting the peppers took some of the kick out of them, so I added some finely chopped fresh peppers at the end to get the heat where I wanted it (could probably use powder just as well).  I'm very happy with the flavors and the heat.  I will make it again.

Blair's makes good sauces. I like both sudden death and golden death. They have fantastic flavor with sudden death being extremely hot and golden death being pretty mild.

List of good sauces to try???? How much $$$ do you have???? :lol:  There are TONS of great sauces made by independent producers. 

For some SureBets, check out winners of The Hot Pepper Awards

Different companies enter every year so check out a few years lists of winners.  If something piques your interest, do a quick search to see if the sauce has been reviewed which will give you good details for flavor, heat, etc.

Have FUN!!!

SL

maximumcapsicum said:
What's your favorite hot sauce or salsa, and what do you pair it with?
LOL That's like asking what is the cure for the global economy. Not an easy quick answer there. Start with these:

Texas Creek Products
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
RedHawk premium sauces
DEFCON wing sauces
Kneppers Peppers and Sauces

Buy one bottle from each and get back to us. Hear me now, believe me later, you won't regret doing business with these folks. All killer sauces. Trust.

This is exactly the kind of discussion I was going for!

oCaveman said:
New guy here too.  I made a salsa from one of the videos in this thread about authentic Mexican salsa:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35928-anyone-with-an-authentic-mexican-salsa-recepie/?hl=pico#entry733748

There is some great info about making a great salsa and pico too.  I did the roasted tomatoes with peppers, garlic, onion, and cilantro.  I found that roasting the peppers took some of the kick out of them, so I added some finely chopped fresh peppers at the end to get the heat where I wanted it (could probably use powder just as well).  I'm very happy with the flavors and the heat.  I will make it again.

Yeah, I've got a weekly routine of chopping up some peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic for a jar of fresh salsa for eating with eggs or chips. So many techniques to try though... I haven't been super happy with any of my roasted jalapeños yet. Hard to get all of the skins off, but I don't have a gas range. May contribute. Any tips?

DEFCON Creator said:
Defcon Sauces wing sauce, paired with wings. Perfect together. :)

Will give it a try!

SneakiestFever said:
I got a salsa from Original Juan its a habanero garlic salsa i really like the flavor and it has a pretty good kick to it as well.

Good to know. So far the hab's are my all around fave. I grew a red habanero plant last summer, gave enough pods to stick 'em in about everything. The intense floral flavor is not to be missed. Need to try it in sauces and salsas!

salsalady said:
List of good sauces to try???? How much $$$ do you have???? :lol:  There are TONS of great sauces made by independent producers. 

For some SureBets, check out winners of The Hot Pepper Awards

Different companies enter every year so check out a few years lists of winners.  If something piques your interest, do a quick search to see if the sauce has been reviewed which will give you good details for flavor, heat, etc.

Have FUN!!!

SL

Ordered the smoked roasted jalapeño sauce that won last year. Would order more but shipping ends up running as much as the sauce! Got to pace myself.

Scoville DeVille said:
LOL That's like asking what is the cure for the global economy. Not an easy quick answer there. Start with these:

Texas Creek Products
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce
RedHawk premium sauces
DEFCON wing sauces
Kneppers Peppers and Sauces

Buy one bottle from each and get back to us. Hear me now, believe me later, you won't regret doing business with these folks. All killer sauces. Trust.

Will do. Thanks for the list! I'll review each one. Any suggestions for pairings? I normally put a bunch of sauce on eggs, mix it in chile, dunk it on burgers. Keep my education going!

FeistyParrot said:
Scoville you forgot Feisty Parrot ;-)

Another one for the list. Gonna make some orders!

Also,  there's a couple websites that carry a number of these companies' sauces.  You can pick and choose from all of 'em and combine in one box for shipping. 

iBurn
Firehouse Pantry
hotsauce.com

The original question is a bit like saying "how long is a piece of string?" There are no right and no wrong answers. Everyone mentioned produces real kick-ass sauces. Don`t EVER buy those in the grocery store, as everything from these makers is so much better it`s ridiculous!

I`d also like to mention PexPeppers, as I think they make some of the simplest, most delicious sauces. No preservatives, no fillers, just great ingredients. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Will do. Thanks for the list! I'll review each one. Any suggestions for pairings? I normally put a bunch of sauce on eggs, mix it in chile, dunk it on burgers. Keep my education going!

On my site I suggest pairings on each of the product pages.

2nd SL's recommendation of the sauce specialty stores - it definitely addresses your shipping concerns. Keep in mind glass & liquid are heavy & expensive to ship, so buying 1 bottle from any one sauce vendor is going to be a poor value for you. Best to order 1 bottle of each brand you're looking for at a single re-seller, like iBurn.  On the other hand many of the company sites offer a bulk discount to varying degrees. If you want to diversify, a place like iBurn can give you an education in a hurry. 
:)

salsalady said:
Also,  there's a couple websites that carry a number of these companies' sauces.  You can pick and choose from all of 'em and combine in one box for shipping. 

iBurn
Firehouse Pantry
hotsauce.com

A very useful resource! I am setting up a cart on iBurn... don't see a lot of the recommended sauces on the other two, but this could definitely save in shipping, though I am no where near the 50 dollar cutoff. Could be ambitious. May start a little slower.

Nigel said:
The original question is a bit like saying "how long is a piece of string?" There are no right and no wrong answers. Everyone mentioned produces real kick-ass sauces. Don`t EVER buy those in the grocery store, as everything from these makers is so much better it`s ridiculous!

I`d also like to mention PexPeppers, as I think they make some of the simplest, most delicious sauces. No preservatives, no fillers, just great ingredients. 

Of course there are no wrong answers, in this or many other realms of life. But I still want recommendations! I made some sauces for the first time this year and the difference between what I made and the grocery store brands got me interested in what else was out there. On to exploration!

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

On my site I suggest pairings on each of the product pages.

2nd SL's recommendation of the sauce specialty stores - it definitely addresses your shipping concerns. Keep in mind glass & liquid are heavy & expensive to ship, so buying 1 bottle from any one sauce vendor is going to be a poor value for you. Best to order 1 bottle of each brand you're looking for at a single re-seller, like iBurn.  On the other hand many of the company sites offer a bulk discount to varying degrees. If you want to diversify, a place like iBurn can give you an education in a hurry. 
:)

Thanks Lucky Dog! Yeah I've got one of your bottles in my iBurn cart. I've also ordered from a couple of the other award winners as well. Will post some reviews when I start getting them in. May two one or two a month, though I'll do a larger shipment from iburn soon.

Thanks for all the advice! Excited to try some sauces when they come in.

iBurn has the added benefit that they sell what they've tasted and "approved".  James Wreck has done a ton of taste testing and reviews over the last few years.  There's been a few sauces that bombed.  So every sauce they carry is pretty well guaranteed to be good or as advertised.  In their store, they color code products for heat levels and having tasted the sauces, they have a pretty good reference as to heat levels.   

Almost there. My first sauce should be coming in the mail today. Got the 2012 THP winner, Smoke Canyon Smoked Jalapeno, and sucked up the shipping cost. Gonna do my iburn order at the start of the year after the holidays. Will definitely be posting my thoughts!

maximumcapsicum said:
Almost there. My first sauce should be coming in the mail today. Got the 2012 THP winner, Smoke Canyon Smoked Jalapeno, and sucked up the shipping cost. Gonna do my iburn order at the start of the year after the holidays. Will definitely be posting my thoughts!

I like that Smoked Canyon jalapeno - Jaybird is a cool cat, too. Good choice. :cheers: 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

I like that Smoked Canyon jalapeno - Jaybird is a cool cat, too. Good choice. :cheers:

Awesome. Yeah it was supposed to come in day but the mail in my building is bizarre. May have to wait till tomorrow.

JayT said:
In addition to all those mentioned so far (which I agree are all great), you would be remissed if you didn't check out Heartbreaking Dawns.  http://heartbreakingdawns.com/

Added to the list. Very cool bottle art.

My education begins...

Smoke Roasted Jalapeño Sauce (Smoke Canyon)

I decided to start with this year's overall THP winner. THP is a great, well-informed community with a good mix of growers, saucers, and aficionados, and their award has to mean something, right? I've also been taking all of the advice I'm receiving in this thread and building a list of sauces to try. More on that in coming posts. Smoke Canyon hit all the right notes... who doesn't love Jalapeños? Their distinctive, fresh, tangy flavor livens up many a meal, and smoking them bring softens them, brings them to life in ways a simple roast or chop can't. They make up just under half of the capsicums I eat already, why not try them in an exciting sauce? So I did.

Webpage: Fresh, Coordinated, and Functional

Smoke Canyon's website was easy to navigate. Their dark green on light green color scheme complements their signature pepper... looks like fresh jalapeños ready for the chomping. To the point, really. I believe their smoked jalapeño sauce is all they have left in stock, which worked out well because that was the one I wanted to try. I popped a couple bottles in a cart and ate the shipping fee. My mouth was already watering...

It took several weeks to arrive, not so much any fault of Smoke Canyon, but I must live on the very end of shipping routes because everything seems to take forever to get here. But arrive it did.

Bottle: Green and Direct

https://www.smokecanyon.com/productsordering/smoke-roasted-jalapeno-sauce/

Nice bottle, same color scheme as the web page, which I like. Not as ambitious as some of the other bottles I have on my taste-queue... I think they're going for broader appeal, which I can appreciate. Who doesn't like stylized jalapeños? Text has an old west theme, not a bad direction. Makes me thing of all the gunfights that must have preceded the bottling of the delicious sauce. After all, good sauce is something you got to protect, and sometimes you got to go outside the law, into the wilds of the Smoke Canyon to protect your sauce. Distinctive enough to set them off from some other products I've seen, but nothing threatening, which is appropriate to the sauce. 

Straight from the Spoon: Fit, Tangy, and Lively

When I popped open the bottle, I put a dollop on a teaspoon and went to town. The sauce is thin, as most of the vinegar sauces seem to be, but not runny. Fit, I'll say. Just thick enough to stay where you dab it, but not thick enough to bring body or texture itself to a dish. It's a pleasant, color coordinated lime green, just like the bottle, with flecks of black, probably from the smoked jalapeños or maybe black pepper.

The tangy sweetness hits your first. More the tang than the sweet. This is followed up by that lovely fresh jalapeño flavor, softened a bit by the smoke, which also brings a savory, charcoally note to the taste. The burn is very soft, subtle. My in laws could eat this sauce... not straight of course, but they wouldn't complain if I used it to bolster the flavor in a fresh salsa (so long as it didn't have too many peppers in it... no one trusts me anymore!). A good, broad appeal sauce.

Overall the sauce is as advertised... the perfect sauce for a smoked jalapeño. I wouldn't disagree, and I'll be going through this bottle pretty quick. The body is a little thin, and the heat is very low for my tastes, but this makes it well suited for a variety of uses, from mixing into a chile dish or a salsa to just dabbing on eggs. 

Taste Test 1: Panko Chicken Nuggets

I'm not really a wings guy, but my wife makes fantastic baked chicken nuggets with a panko-based breading. Hope that doesn't alienate too many of my fellow com-chili-rades. The nuggets happened to be on the menu the night the sauce arrived, so that is where I went after the straight taste test.

Here my fears were confirmed a bit... this isn't a good dipping sauce option. Rather, I'd go through probably half the bottle if I used it as a dipping sauce. With a dab of sauce directly on a nugget, the white meat came to life, dancing to the music of a thousand smoked jalapeños. But the sauce went quick if I ate a whole serving that way, which makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been put to better use mixing in with the breading. Will have to test if I really want to know.

That said, I bet it would be fantastic in a marinade, stretched with some lime juice.

Taste Test 2: Smoked Jalapeño Eggs

Ah, eggs, the perfect spicy food complement. Normally I cook two up in a cast iron, fold them over, plop 'em on a tortilla with some salsa and a little mexican cheese and go to town. I substituted the sauce for the salsa and gave it a shot.

A perfect complement, especially for a relaxing, down key lunch. Again, the smoke softens the naturally fresh zesty-ness of the jalapeños, making for an overall delicious experience. The eggs and cheese did soak up all the heat though, which I missed. I am going to have to get into the hotter sauces next time around, because though the flavor of the smoked jalapeño sauce is great, I like a good long burn to accompany my lunch.

Final Thoughts: A Sauce for the People

Smoke Canyon's smoked jalapeño sauce is a wonderful addition to a very broad range of foods. Moreover, its low heat makes it a crowd pleaser... I doubt its too hot for anyone visiting your place for the holidays. The smokey flavor softens the jalapeño tanginess, making this sauce more of a stroll through the Missouri countryside than the high stakes adventure the fonts on the bottle seem to offer.

I doubt the bottle will last a week. 

Back