• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Experimenting with cheap / free germinating and indoor grow methods for seedlings

So with all these great seeds I'm getting from THP members I figured I better start learning how to germinate and nurture little seedlings, since all of my experience before this is just from buying 3"+ starts.

This thread will just be a log of things I've tried and notes / lessons learned things to experiment with next time.

The goal being that by the time December rolls around I should be good and ready for the official germination run.

Experiment 1) has already been completed. I went with the coffee filter in solo deli cup covered by a cap (the kind of things you get mini salsa servings in at your local burrito shop) germination method, and used my sacrificial bulk stockpile of Aji seeds. I made the mistake of tearing the worlds tiniest piece of coffee filter and laying a single strip of it at the bottom of the deli cup, and placed it on top of the hottest part of my cable box. It dried out several times a day and eventually I put more coffee filter material in there which helped a little with the drying out problem. Also my adding more water method was (stupidly) just trying to dart the cup under the tap while water slowly came out... that evolved in to putting the lid under the tap and carefully pouring from the lid into the cup. This resulted in several drownings that needed to be drained and resulted in overly soaked coffee filter. Despite all the abuse I had 100% 5/5 put out hooks in just over 2 weeks, unfortunately I drowned them one too many times the next week and left them sitting in it and they got stinky/moldy.

Experiment 2) Is starting tonight I am pre-soaking 10 Aji seeds for 30 minutes as I type this, and am going to put them on top of about 1/2 a coffee filter folded up to fit into a fresh covered deli cup. Cup will go on a more moderate temp area of my cable box. I also have a little dropper to add single small drops to the coffee filter rather than drown it. Will update with results

I'll probably catch a ton of crap for this but I use jiffy peat pellets in the cheap plastic trays they come in. I don't write stuff down but I'd "guesstimate" I've had at least an 8o to 90% germination rate across the board and I've never had any real mold issues or lost any sprouts to dampening off. I keep the lid on and the temperature between 70 and 80f and remove the lid once the majority have sprouted and then aim a fan at them. I pot them up once they have their second pair of true leaves. In the pics below I was using 3"x3" containers, but now I just use the cheapest 12 or 16oz plastic cups I can find (usually $1 for 20 or so) and drill a hole through the bottom for drainage. The only two varieties I know I had terrible germination rates for were Bhut Jolokia and Chiltepin but it wasn't a crisis because I tend to plant way more seeds than I'll actually have room for so I usually end up giving away several dozen plants every year.

If you want cheap try planting your seeds in old egg cartons, yogurt containers, dixie cups, etc. There's a lot of "trash" that can do the job, just remember to poke holes for drainage...over watering and/or over fertilizing are probably the two leading causes of failure. I'm not a fan of sprouting things in paper towels. Personally I prefer not to disturb them until they have a few leaves and roots, and by using the pellets they're really not disturbed much at all when I move them into cups... just add some soil, plop the pellet in and cover fill up the cup with more soil.

Pics are tiny... couldn't find the originals so these were pulled from my stupid blog I never really use.

sprouts about two weeks after planting seeds:

peppersJPG_n3om3fcaf7.jpg

same plants 39 days after planting seeds: (This was a few years ago so I think the ones pictured are Santa Fe Grande if it matters)

IMAG0048JPG_hvx7t6mufh.jpg

If you weren't hoping for any responses send me a PM and I'll edit this down to a smiley face. :cool:

comments are perfectly fine, I might give the egg carton method a go in a few days depending on my current egg consumption rate.

I had great results with those deli cups, but instead of coffee filters I used some cotton (about half an inch) covered with paper towel. It can go for days without drying! Maybe you could experiment with it too.

I've tried the paper towel and ziplock with 100% germination (2 tries). My problem is after they germinate, when to pot them? Immediately or wait a little while?

I'll probably catch a ton of crap for this but I use jiffy peat pellets in the cheap plastic trays they come in. I don't write stuff down but I'd "guesstimate" I've had at least an 8o to 90% germination rate across the board and I've never had any real mold issues or lost any sprouts to dampening off. I keep the lid on and the temperature between 70 and 80f and remove the lid once the majority have sprouted and then aim a fan at them. I pot them up once they have their second pair of true leaves. In the pics below I was using 3"x3" containers, but now I just use the cheapest 12 or 16oz plastic cups I can find (usually $1 for 20 or so) and drill a hole through the bottom for drainage. The only two varieties I know I had terrible germination rates for were Bhut Jolokia and Chiltepin but it wasn't a crisis because I tend to plant way more seeds than I'll actually have room for so I usually end up giving away several dozen plants every year.

If you want cheap try planting your seeds in old egg cartons, yogurt containers, dixie cups, etc. There's a lot of "trash" that can do the job, just remember to poke holes for drainage...over watering and/or over fertilizing are probably the two leading causes of failure. I'm not a fan of sprouting things in paper towels. Personally I prefer not to disturb them until they have a few leaves and roots, and by using the pellets they're really not disturbed much at all when I move them into cups... just add some soil, plop the pellet in and cover fill up the cup with more soil.

Pics are tiny... couldn't find the originals so these were pulled from my stupid blog I never really use.

sprouts about two weeks after planting seeds:

peppersJPG_n3om3fcaf7.jpg

same plants 39 days after planting seeds: (This was a few years ago so I think the ones pictured are Santa Fe Grande if it matters)

IMAG0048JPG_hvx7t6mufh.jpg

If you weren't hoping for any responses send me a PM and I'll edit this down to a smiley face. :cool:

What do you use for heat and light before you move them outdoors?

I've tried the paper towel and ziplock with 100% germination (2 tries). My problem is after they germinate, when to pot them? Immediately or wait a little while?
I generally go with 'immediately' upon germination. Gives the seeds more time to orient. But it might not be that critical. Others let them grow a bit.

I also sometimes use this paper/filter/baggie/cup method just to give em a soak, and plant them before germination, or maybe just as the first 'soldier' pops. This (maybe)has the advantage of getting a more rapid germination, but less hassle and possible injury of moving a tiny sprout to their growing medium.

So many ways to go, its really about gaining confidence with your methods. Regardless, its fun watching those first hooks arrive.... :cool:

What do you use for heat and light before you move them outdoors?

I keep it pretty warm inside (around 75f) and the seeds were placed under a 175w Metal Halide light which generates a little more heat. They were grown in a south facing window and the 175w light for supplemental lighting. They started life a little leggy but by the end of the season you'd never know it. I usually start them in late February or early March and move them to their outdoor homes in late May.

My gf works at a print shop and managed to salvage a couple of light tables so I use one of those now for starting the seedlings. (Light table is basically just a box with several florescent tubes in it and a clear cover... like the things doctors use to view xrays with)

I keep it pretty warm inside (around 75f) and the seeds were placed under a 175w Metal Halide light which generates a little more heat. They were grown in a south facing window and the 175w light for supplemental lighting. They started life a little leggy but by the end of the season you'd never know it. I usually start them in late February or early March and move them to their outdoor homes in late May.

My gf works at a print shop and managed to salvage a couple of light tables so I use one of those now for starting the seedlings. (Light table is basically just a box with several florescent tubes in it and a clear cover... like the things doctors use to view xrays with)

thanks man. I plan on starting mine late Jan and putting them outside in early may. I am now just trying to figure out the lighting and heat that is less expensive. :lol:

Back