• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Expert Advice Needed

I would like to be able to finish off a couple of plants, ripen a bunch of green pods, indoors this fall and wanted to know if this was a good system to do it with?

http://www.growlights.net/item_description.php?IID=890

If not I would love some recommendations. Money is an object. I would like to keep it around $200.

Thanks everyone.

I'm also concerned with this as I have atleast 90% of my harvest sitting on the plants waiting to ripen. Fully grown just not taking the next step.

Sure Patrick.... you just want to "finish" off your plants.... then in a few weeks you will just want to start a "few" seeds to see if the light will let them grow all winter, then in a few months you will want to install a solar array to help defray the costs for the 18 new MH lights growing 36 F2 plants of your Atomic Dragon Cross. LOL Need to start working on my wife, maybe in a few years I can convince her to let me grow 3 or 4 plants over the winter.

Hope nobody take offense to this link but he is an expert of sorts.
Patrick this website is alot cheaper than the one your looking at, they dont charge you extra for the glass and everything else.

http://www.tigerhydro.com/

How many plants are you going to overwinter??

How many plants are you going to overwinter??

LOL... See Patrick we all know this is going to stay on 24/7 (2 shifts of plants 12 hours of light each) for the next 6 months.. Just admit it and move on and be happy that you will have delicious fresh peppers all winter.

:lol: your absolutely right, beaglestorm. I bought some lights last week and I just wanted to "test" them how they worked. A week later they are still on :oops: Anyhow, this stuff is expensive in the US, the prices I see for a reflector... it only costs 9 dollars over here.

I actually bought this MH. I also bought the Hps when it was onsale too. I thought it was a pretty good deal for the money. They are pretty heavy since the ballast is enclosed. If you buy the right hangers they are easy to hang. Check it out:https://growsmarthydroponics.3dcartstores.com/Sun-System-2-400-Watt-MH-Complete-System-_p_97.html
Cheers

When did you learn so much about me Mike?

I stopped over at my local Hydro grow shop, where I get just about everything for growing peppers, and did some talking and horse trading, actually tarantula trading.

I ended up with a smaller system, 150W, but I was assured it will provide enough light to take care of one possibly two plants if I add a few floro's to the mix. Those I have plenty of. I got it for less than $70 and two tarantulas and one scorpion. Those didn't cost me but a bit of time and effort.

You guys have no idea how excited I am about this. There may be peppers growing year 'round at my house.

Thanks for the link lazy, I know myself almost as good as Mike does and I'll probably to buying more of the darn things.

NP I found the video very helpful for lighting questions I had. So many plants and two for have growing all winter for you!! Have you made your choice for which two you will keep? tough isnt it?

I would like to be able to finish off a couple of plants, ripen a bunch of green pods, indoors this fall and wanted to know if this was a good system to do it with?

http://www.growlights.net/item_description.php?IID=890

If not I would love some recommendations. Money is an object. I would like to keep it around $200.

Thanks everyone.

Just a word on that particular type of product, First off I have MH/HPS units, mine have separate ballasts for a couple reasons, the ballasts are inter-changeable with the reflectors and bulbs, (very important in case one becomes defective), The all-in-one self contained unit is very heavy , and that makes a big difference when having to raise the unit(s) and also you'll have both the heat from the bulb plus the ballast,( which can lead into more money for venting and in line fans), and lastly the size of the reflector is somewhat smaller than most :( ...if price is a factor , then that might be the right direction, but for around a 100 bucks more you can have the seperate componets......good luck on your decision......Greg

OOPS, sorry I didn't read all the threads before I posted.......I see you have your lite......time to fire it up!... :)

PIC 1 thanks for the advice. You're absolutely right about going with individual lights. With my luck one of them would break down and I'd be stuck without any.

Here's the one I actually bought:

DSC006831280x960.jpg

When I seen what I could get this one for the idea of spending $200 on one went downhill fast. Not that I'm cheap, I've got four kids and five grandkids.

I'm not real concerned about heat, it's going into a very large room with vaulted ceilings.

Again, thanks all for the words of wisdom.

PIC 1 thanks for the advice. You're absolutely right about going with individual lights. With my luck one of them would break down and I'd be stuck without any.

Here's the one I actually bought:

DSC006831280x960.jpg

When I seen what I could get this one for the idea of spending $200 on one went downhill fast. Not that I'm cheap, I've got four kids and five grandkids.

I'm not real concerned about heat, it's going into a very large room with vaulted ceilings.

Again, thanks all for the words of wisdom.

Good choice and value... just a couple more notes, the lite you purchased as well as my own HID's are not enclosed with glass, and that's the way I prefer to have it.

Glass enclosed units do protect the bulb from damage, but you'd be in for adding ducts/fans.etc..... And IMO the glass eventually condensates...anyways

Just be careful not to foliar feed when the lights are on (especially at the beginning of the light cycle) you could burn the new growing tips, also the misting vapor can damage the bulb.....man I can't wait Januaury.....this stuffs addicting....have fun with it!........

Greg

Again thanks for the words of wisdom Greg, I really appreciate them. Nothing beats experience, thank you for sharing yours.

Thanks guys.

Not using it yet but getting real close. Woke up this morning with temps at 49F. Problem is going to pick the one I want to try and grow inside. I am so fired up to do this.

If you cant decide I say let fate decide, put your top few plants write their names on a piece of paper and pick from a hat haha.

Thanks guys.

Not using it yet but getting real close. Woke up this morning with temps at 49F. Problem is going to pick the one I want to try and grow inside. I am so fired up to do this.

You could always prune your plant back, fasten a 3/8" bamboo rod laterally between two main branches and train the sideshoots to grow in a straight upward direction, that helps getting light through the "canopy" as the plant excels.....just a thought.....by the way I keep staring at 3 Douglah plants, they all look pretty good,and likewise I am wondering which one to bring in....and man I hate to put any of them down....but with many varieties to choose from, I have to be practical... :(

Tough decisions all around I see.

I'm leaning on keeping a Trini Scorp Chocolate AISPES plant. It's been isolated all season and is just now starting to produce pods. It's over four feet tall with little growth under the canopy--perfect for the light I'm thinking. Plus the idea of having Chocolate scorpions around all winter makes me feel all warm inside. I may have to go get another light. :lol:

Tough decisions all around I see.

I'm leaning on keeping a Trini Scorp Chocolate AISPES plant. It's been isolated all season and is just now starting to produce pods. It's over four feet tall with little growth under the canopy--perfect for the light I'm thinking. Plus the idea of having Chocolate scorpions around all winter makes me feel all warm inside. I may have to go get another light. :lol:

Patrick,.I'm jealous.....I bet that plants rocks,.. keep that "mother" going......clones..maybe?

Back