• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Expiration Dates

Just wondering how close of attention you folks pay to the expiration dates on your hot sauces. I think I have a few that are nearing the date, but still have plenty of sauce in them. These are all commercial sauces, so I would imagine the PH was at a safe level when bottling.

Do you guys pitch your sauces, or pay no attention?

Your sauce lasts long enough to expire ? LOL.. I pitch it when it no longer looks like it did in the start. Case and point my Trappey Bull Sauce. It was like a Jan. date and pitched it last Saturday because it seperated all lava lamp style...

Haha... I am the kind of person that wont drink milk the day before the expiration date. :) But with spicy/vinegar based foods, I am generally a little more forgiving. Thanks for the input.

If it's a vinegary type sauce, I don't pay any attention to dates. We did have some fruit based commercially produced sauces in the refer for (years) and they got funky so they got pitched.

You don't drink milk the day before the expiration date? You ARE weird! Lol
If you pour your glass, and put it rite back in the fridge, (don,t let it set out on the counter),
You can EASILY get an additional MONTH out of milk! Ours don't last that long.

Anyway, I pitch sauces when they start to look separated or just funky.
The great sauces never last that long!

Actually its not usually an expiration date, but a best before date. If a sauce looks/smells normal I will always eat it

Eat it, if you get sick pitch :). Or do what I do and spike in the wife's food and see if she gets sick :lol:

JK, don't do that if you ever want some quality time :)
Aaron

Hey SD, this might be one of those "WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT TALKING" bits :)

Expiration dates on non-perishable goods is a marketing/sales tool. They have a meeting, and come up with a random date, so you pitch it and buy another.

mygrassisblue said:
Your sauce lasts long enough to expire ? LOL.. I pitch it when it no longer looks like it did in the start. Case and point my Trappey Bull Sauce. It was like a Jan. date and pitched it last Saturday
because it seperated all lava lamp style...

AMEN TO sauce lasting very long around here
salsalady said:
If it's a vinegary type sauce, I don't pay any attention to dates. We did have some fruit based commercially produced sauces in the refer for (years) and they got funky so they got pitched.
If I wanted to put a expires date on sauce I make how do I choose a safe date ?

Greenguru said:
If I wanted to put a expires date on sauce I make how do I choose a safe date ?
that's up to you, your PA and your AHJ.  A lot will depend on the pH  and ingredients of the sauce.  As someone previously mentioned, a lot of times it's a "Best Before" date, not an Expiration date. 

Expiration Dates usually mean it's unsafe for consumption after the posted date.  Best Before means that the flavor may change, color may change, it won't be as fresh tasting, but it does not mean it's unsafe for eating.  Often times manufacturers use the Best Before date to get consumers to toss the product and buy more. 

HOWEVER!!!  once again... it's up to the inspectors and whoever's regulations need to be followed to determine if an EXP date is needed and what that date would be.  In one scenario I know of, they can't go more than 2 years from the date of manufacture. 

I try not to even look at the Best Before Dates anymore. They annoy me. Just keep an eye out for color change and separation. I keep my sauce in the fridge and they are only out when I am using them. I will shake them up once a month even if I am not using them. I usually have about 6 or so sauces in the fridge and they last in the fridge up to 2 years before I finish them all off. Some of the regulars only last a few months though. I like to think the spice and vinegar helps them stay forever. I have noticed that sauces in restaurants separate pretty fast. I think cause of the sun and the temp. I have never gotten sick from a sauce before but maybe it's just cause my stomach is use to it. I am very careful with mayonnaise though. I actually got sick from some packs I got at a fast food place one time.

Separation is not an issue.

Color change may or may not be an issue.

Smell is often your best asset for determining whether a sauce is still viable.

And if it tastes wonky, don't eat it. 1 drop is unlikely to hurt you much and it's pretty obvious when food has turned. Especially when you know what it tasted like before.

But separation might just require a little shake of the bottle. ;)

Sm1nts2escape said:
I try not to even look at the Best Before Dates anymore. They annoy me. Just keep an eye out for color change and separation. I keep my sauce in the fridge and they are only out when I am using them. I will shake them up once a month even if I am not using them. I usually have about 6 or so sauces in the fridge and they last in the fridge up to 2 years before I finish them all off. Some of the regulars only last a few months though. I like to think the spice and vinegar helps them stay forever. I have noticed that sauces in restaurants separate pretty fast. I think cause of the sun and the temp. I have never gotten sick from a sauce before but maybe it's just cause my stomach is use to it. I am very careful with mayonnaise though. I actually got sick from some packs I got at a fast food place one time.

thanks for the input I use paper ph strips and I have been making sure they are 1-3 via papr ph strips I keep only one sauce in fridge rest stay in cabinet 6 I guess thanks for all the input yous all Dan aka greenguru
Sm1nts2escape said:
Thanks salsalady all your advise really help how was your camping trip ??

Back