Exploring what it takes to start a pepper jelly business

Hello! I'm Dan and I have been eating and making a family pepper jelly recipe for most of my life. For years I've shared it with everyone around me who loves spicy and I've gained a following of folks who can't seem to get enough of it. I know it's not hot sauce specifically, but it seems to be regulated in a very similar way, so I hope I can find some like minds here.

For the last year or so, I've been researching what it would take to make the jelly "officially" and sell it to a wider market. Where I live, we've got tons of farmers markets, artisan fairs, boutique food shops, and small food vendors with whom I would love to explore a partnership. At this time, it is not my priority or passion to be making my jelly on my own, and I feel like working with a co-packer is going to result in the right balance for me. I love meeting people and sharing my jelly (also I am in sales for a living), and I'd like to focus on that part of the business rather than the actual production. I'd explore doing things myself down the line if I find success with the product. Otherwise it's a rabbit hole I will disappear down and have nothing to show for it. I know myself well!

I've joined here because I'm stuck in a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation: I'd love to take my jelly to the streets and start gathering interest, but I don't want to do that until I understand what kind of commitment it will take to get to a place where I can actually sell my product. The last thing I want to do is get a bunch of people excited about my product, and not be able to produce it. What I'm struggling with most is understanding what licensing requirements I have to comply with if I am selling (and storing) co-packed food in California. Hoping some folks here can help enlighten me about what they have done and what it took to get to where you are now. I've read the business 101 thread so far and it aligns with what I have understood, and I would like to understand the next layer of what's required.

I'm in no rush to get things off the ground. My day job keeps me busy enough right now, and I've got a shelf full of jelly in the basement. I'm taking the time to do as much research as possible so I can hit the button (or decide not to) when the time is right.

Great to be here, and great to meet you all!

Last edited:
:welcome:

You will want to look into the cottage laws of California. Jellies are almost always allowed under cottage law, meaning you could make them at home and still legally sell them, but your market would be restricted to local sales and farmers markets, nothing online or out of state. But that is a great starting point.

Hey there The Hot Pepper! Appreciate the thought. That was my first stop on my journey so far β€” I entered with hope, but unfortunately CA (and most other states that I can tell, TX is the exception that I have found) specifically do not include pepper jelly specifically on their approved Cottage Foods list. The peppers themselves do not contain enough acid to prevent botulism, and therefore the resulting mixture is required to be acidified to be shelf stable.

I have mapped out a good chunk of the journey to get a food license to make and sell jelly produced on my own and it's just a huge PITA. And on top of that, the expense of renting a commercial kitchen where I live is extraordinary which takes self-production even further outside of the realm of possibility. This unfortunately is the main reason why I am looking at a co-packer arrangement.

What if you acidify the jelly with citric acid instead of vinegar, would that work for you?

Unfortunately CA state law is strict on the matter πŸ˜”
Q.Why can’t I make pepper jelly?
A. Peppers have a pH between 4.8-6.0. They are considered low-acid food, which carries a risk of botulism. Canning foods create a low-oxygen environment that allows the growth of Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria responsible for botulism. This risk prevents pepper jelly from becoming an approved cottage food. In addition, only those fruits listed in (Part 150 of Title 21 of The Code of Federal Regulations) are allowed in fruit butter, jams, and jellies. All other fruit and vegetables are not approved. As a result, pepper jelly is not an approved cottage food.

From: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CEH/DFDCS/CDPH Document Library/FDB/FoodSafetyProgram/CottageFood/CFOFAQ.pdf

For reference, the relevant CFR section is here: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scri...Part=150&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:2.0.1.1.32.2

Also, noting that my jelly (actually, it's jam, I've just always called it jelly!) is 100% peppers. No fruit involved, other than a lot of lemon juice as one acidifying addition.

Last edited:
I've been making chilli jam (we call it jam in the uk) for 5 years? And I've never had one go bad. Even the last dregs of the jar still stay edible after many years. Its a good way to preserve chilli's.

My favourite was a fatalii based jam with apple & mango

I wish I could convince the authorities of that! My dad has been making this stuff for over 35 years (so long we have no idea where the recipe came from)...thousands of jars of the stuff. Never once had an issue.

I did some pH testing of a couple batches I made last year and it's quite acidic. Well into the safe range. But, the law is the law, sadly.

I wish I could convince the authorities of that! My dad has been making this stuff for over 35 years (so long we have no idea where the recipe came from)...thousands of jars of the stuff. Never once had an issue.

I did some pH testing of a couple batches I made last year and it's quite acidic. Well into the safe range. But, the law is the law, sadly.
I like it on the sour side, so add more vinegar and lots of sea salt.

I gently simmered some super hots in honey, i must check it out to see how its doing. Could you add a percentage of honey and sell it as honey rather than jelly/jam :)

The problem is the pH of the actual peppers that's why they are not allowing it. He can even acidify the finished product to spec and it still would not be allowed. This is because cottage laws are strict, but going commercial would solve all that.

Back