• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Extending shelf life of fresh peppers

I have about 16 fresh peppers that I purchased from the grocery store a few weeks ago. I've kept them in the fridge and they still look great.

I'm looking to eventually make sauce with them, but until then, I'm unsure how I can keep them as fresh as possible until I use them. This may be between a few weeks to a few months.

Question - How can I maximize my fresh peppers shelf life before making sauce?

Thank you.

The best bet is to make your sauce as soon as possible after picking/buying your peppers, obviously, but that doesn't always work out, right? Since you plan on making sauce, you can freeze them indefinitely until you're ready. The cells will burst in the freezer, making them mushy when they thaw, but that's no big deal sonce you'll be processing them anyway. I'm having to freeze my tabascos right now because my plant thinks I only deserve a half dozen ripe at a time. Gotta save them all up in the freezer until I have enough for a sauce.

Buzz said:
The best bet is to make your sauce as soon as possible after picking/buying your peppers, obviously, but that doesn't always work out, right? Since you plan on making sauce, you can freeze them indefinitely until you're ready. The cells will burst in the freezer, making them mushy when they thaw, but that's no big deal sonce you'll be processing them anyway. I'm having to freeze my tabascos right now because my plant thinks I only deserve a half dozen ripe at a time. Gotta save them all up in the freezer until I have enough for a sauce.
+2

Back