• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fabric Pots/Grow Bags

nmlarson said:
Thanks for the information! I hadn't even given saucers a second thought! So you didn't have an issue with "soggy feet?"
Not in the slightest. When it would rain and rain for days even and stay submerged for 5+ days while the media/rootball(hydroponic reservoir basically) would consume the water before it finally "drank" it all. And during those summer days I would fill them up along with top watering until drainage with not one ill effect :) obviously you want the plant to have a well developed set of roots and water needs before you do that particular operation but yeah I know that if you have a well aerated media that's not too dense root rot doesn't exist.. I did the same thing with my plastic pots all season too.. Just treat it like a hydroponic reservoir and use it to your advantage.. No other way with that many bags/plants and doing watering/nutrigating jig everyday!! Plus you get the Hydro growth advantage. Last 3 pics are of plants in 2-3 gallon containers.
5955c6cac8a8998a2f1294454536dd5d.jpg
a3694483c7f3fe3ba871c66a3555bff3.jpg
cc4969233fbadc713a85b271ce98c4f1.jpg
f3f0c20c4c9e397111320515bcd23922.jpg
317552feb18c9d39fe3ec8a191b94372.jpg
17b193d3d33b905beca7945be6876df7.jpg

CDNmatt said:

Thats one thing I was wondering as well...Wondering with the cheaper bags if they would fall apart sitting in a saucer...One batch arrived in the mail today I bought from Ebay..glad I didn't pay much for them.
I used dollar general and Walmart bags submerged in saucers as well as the better quality China bags on Amazon in both black and tan this season. Always watered, all saucered, most always water/nutes in the saucers . The walmart and dollar general bags had to eventually be double bagged(tearing at handle, and side where picking up), but no problems with that and actually helped water retention as the landscape fabric has TOO much porosity vs the thick polyester felt type fabric. Either way you're good, but for the price you might as well get the good bags.. You'll get a bunch of seasons out of them.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

YAMracer754 said:
I used dollar general and Walmart bags submerged in saucers as well as the better quality China bags on Amazon in both black and tan this season. Always watered, all saucered, most always water/nutes in the saucers . The walmart and dollar general bags had to eventually be double bagged(tearing at handle, and side where picking up), but no problems with that and actually helped water retention as the landscape fabric has TOO much porosity vs the thick polyester felt type fabric. Either way you're good, but for the price you might as well get the good bags.. You'll get a bunch of seasons out of them.

Hmmm very interesting and great info on both post...So last 3 pics are 2-3G`s...would they be smaller type chillis if I may ask(question mark)'---sorry keyboard is fooked atm.. also has at least one of those plants shown been topped(question mark) second pic from the bottom....I have been going through some older threads and just wondering who is pro topping vs not. Would it be worth while in fabric pots to help keep them from being so top heavy at all or better to just stake it.

That question would be for everyone

Just watch your soil and amendments. In a pan of water you may destroy roots is my opinion, therefore stunting growth and production.

The plants were not small by any means, huge actually, especially for given species per size. They were fed nearly every watering, with a fresh water feed with calmag near every 4th or 5th watering. It worked on all my peppers, small to large fruits. Here's 1.5 of a pull of only ripe on 2 superhots in bags. They were happy being in the water reservoir as I have done this with "other" plants and you can tell on all species if they like it by how they drink it! You'll see.. I'll grab some pics of my backyard bag plants as the ones I post right now suck it's dark..
CDNmatt said:

Hmmm very interesting and great info on both post...So last 3 pics are 2-3G`s...would they be smaller type chillis if I may ask(question mark)'---sorry keyboard is fooked atm.. also has at least one of those plants shown been topped(question mark) second pic from the bottom....I have been going through some older threads and just wondering who is pro topping vs not. Would it be worth while in fabric pots to help keep them from being so top heavy at all or better to just stake it.

That question would be for everyone
The pics you're referring to are aji charapitas, small peppers but I'm on my 3rd or 4th flush of harvesting the whole plant. It loves to ripen green pods when I clean the whole plant of ripe ones everytime, and you can even note this in its water/nute consumption in the saucer/tray! Cool stuff! I've gotten POUNDS off of just this one small capacity - yet large plant! Loving it! All my pictures mind you have been massively harvested so they look a bit bare but you see the structure and calyx joints and get the idea.. For a true comparison I put all my container bag plants in the garden as well in numbers all from the same "upbringing" and seeds..

And yes most or half at least were topped. I learned a balance after all the topping/training. Some is a great idea and keeps high yields closer to center of gravity (stem+ground), but overdoing it sucks as all the pods are too near the ground(this only happened in a severe manner on my jalapeños which weře massively trained and lst'ed due to me starting them too early while trying to keep a flat and even canopy indoors.
1538691385588.jpeg
IMG_20181008_184001604.jpeg
1538755535032.jpeg
0304c62e9ae24d10fab29b6f3157389c.jpg

All the plants species I have in bags are also in the ground with numerous counterparts to get an accurate assessment of efficacy from eaćh method.
f759398c26369d3a8d8de078e6af7178.jpg
b152e907e3e35e9e7df296681f137205.jpg

Depends on your media and stage of growth and needs of the plant. If you're watching that and herding the basic signals you'll be okay.
Sauced said:
Just watch your soil and amendments. In a pan of water you may destroy roots is my opinion, therefore stunting growth and production.

Some great bag info in this thread. Much appreciated. I ordered in some of the heavy black felt 5 gallon Vivosun bags to try this year since all of my 7-20 gallon plastic buckets and pots are reserved for duty as frost protectors for a while yet.  I have one pepper planted in a bag so far and it's growing like the weeds.

I dropped all the way down to one-gallon bags for my larger plants and switched them back from soil to coir+perlite. Bottom watering them has worked very well so far; it's certainly smaller-scale, but I also end up having them sitting in water +/ nutrients for a few days with no apparent issues.

Yeah I'm definitely doing the bottom - top feed with fabric coco bags and reusing all my old medium :) got the root zones nearly full decomposed but itll add some health in the meantime. I let the root mass decompose and left them out all winter thru rain sleet snow so should be good after I give it all a booster shot of compost, castings, and new coir!

Back