• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fake Pepper X seeds missing

I'm beginning to feel like a given chile's pungency is a little bit subjective, insofar as some peppers that are supposed to be less hot seen hotter to me, and vice versa. But, in the end, we do have a process by which we can objectively and quantitatively measure how much cap is in a given pod. Granted, there will be individual variation within pods, even from the same plant... And the brown chiles will always seem hotter to me than the red ones, even though shu most often shows the opposite. But still, when it comes to heat, we have a measurable method to put a number to a pepper's heat.

Unfortunately, there's no such way to measure the flavor of these peppers. They say there's no accounting for taste and, while I might not agree with that entirely, I do think that chileheads' perception of how good/bad a variety tastes is almost entirely subjective.

Personally, I don't care if the Reaper or the even more dubious Pepper X is the hottest or even the tastiest. I don't get involved with the douche side of things, if I can help it. I got better things to spend my time, effort, and money on.

Bought a Carolina Reaper sampler pack from PBM. AJ also does a first frost sale. Buy 2 boxes and get one overstuffed box free. Buy 3 and get 2 free. Couldn't pass that up. The Tabasco peppers were among the free ones and weren't labeled.

Back