• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Falling Leaves

Ok so what have I done wrong....I set out, in a 7 gal pot, a beautiful, healthy, tobasco plant. Within a couple of days, the bottom 7 or 8 leaves just fell off. They were still perfectly green and healthy looking laying on top of the promix. I touched a couple that were still on and they fell right off!@!@! What is going on with that? I've never had this happen. Well I've only been growing for 3 seasons but still. :-(.

SA

pic will help more, but it sounds like you have small bug that eats the leafs stem i had that happened to me befor. if the main stem it still green and doesnot have black dry spots it should be fine, it also could have happened cuz of the sun shock your plant faces when u took it out. give it few day it will recover if not dont waste your season on it get another plant from homedepot walmart ....
good luck

hey saddie, you did nothing wrong, it is called harding off, you put the plant outside(i am assuming that is what you did), after being in a nice warm greenhouse environment and the plant is reacting to the change. take 1 aspirin, dissolve it in 1 quart of water and feed it to the plant. if the plant is in a container, take it out of the sun. if the plant is ground planted, put up a sun shield during the hottest sunlight hours(11am - 3pm).

good luck

Thanks for al the responses. Much appreciated. However, the first thing I considered was that the soil was too wet, upon inspection it seemed fine. Im not ruling it out, but the soil seemed equally as moist as the other pots I had potted up.

It could be sun shock, as I thought I had placed the plant so it would be mostly shaded but after observing yesterday and today, it seems the plant was in the sun longer than I had anticipated.

So far so good on the replacement plant, it seems to be doing good. I did, however, pull the pot further into the shade.

I unfortunately had already thrown the wasted plant down through the woods, so I wasn't able to get pics. I in fact, decided to post my message only after determining that I had no idea what I had done wrong.

SA

Thanks for al the responses. Much appreciated. However, the first thing I considered was that the so was too wet, upon inspection it seemed fine. Im not ruling it out, but the soil seemed equally as moist as the other pots I had potted up.

It could be sub shock, as I thought I had aced the plant so it would be mostly shaded but after observing yesterday and today, it seems the plant was in the sum longer than I had anticipated.

So far so good on the replacement plant, it seems to be doing good. I did, however, pull the pot further into the shade.

I unfortunately had already thrown the wasted plant down through the woods, so I wasn't able to get pics. I in fact, decided to post my message only after determining that I had no idea what I had done wrong.

SA

For future reference, in many cases pepper plants can still recover from complete defoliation as long as the stems are still intact (and the problem isn't chronic). Hail completely demolished a couple of my plants earlier in the season, but looking at them now you can't see a difference in the size compared to the others.

Back