• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Fast ripening varietes? Chinense?

Hey guys, first post so please forgive lack of etiquette.

I am looking for a cultivar with a short dtm. The fastest I have found thus far is the cayenne and hybrids at 60 dtm. My questions are:

Is this the shortest dtm chilli?
OR
Is there a chinense chilli with similarly short dtm?

Just FYI this is for a hobby crossing project. Love the forum.

danish said:
Hey guys, first post so please forgive lack of etiquette.

I am looking for a cultivar with a short dtm. The fastest I have found thus far is the cayenne and hybrids at 60 dtm. My questions are:

Is this the shortest dtm chilli?
OR
Is there a chinense chilli with similarly short dtm?

Just FYI this is for a hobby crossing project. Love the forum.

C. chinense Limón is the quickest of its species I have seen.

Below is the first fruit ripening on a plant that I have noted as emerging as a sprout on 2011-09-23, transplanted on 2011-10-30, first anthesis on 2011-12-08 and first fruit ripening dated by the image on 2012-01-25:
harry said:
W92gm.jpg

First Limón pod ripening
It caught my eye after saw it on chileplants.com as one of the two varieties of C. chinense that were listed at the time in the less than 60 days to maturity from transplant category.

Thanks for the help and welcoming responses everyone.

A special thanks to Harry, that's exactly what I was after.

In case anyone is interested the idea is to cross the Chinense with an Annuum for a number of desired outcomes.
Here are two of the papers I am basing my assumptions on.
fileband.com/o0gykzqmohm9

Thanks again guys.

The Chinense variety with the shortest time to ripeness that I know of is the Paper Lantern Habanero. They can be picked still green but with full size and decent heat at 80 days, and fully ripe at 100 days. Here at 52 degrees N. Lat. they dropped flowers until around July 4th and then loaded up heavily until the hottest part of the summer in August.

Danish has voiced a question i've wondered about. Harry, your answer covered every detail i could have asked about it.

Thanks.

Back