• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fatalii freak out

New to growing hot peppers I have alot of success growing lots of vegetables and store bought peppers
I have one fatalii plant which has been doing well till today
I woke up and watered the plant
A few hours later went out for a smoke and checking the buds
I saw a crack in the stem and two leaves laying in the pot

Is this normal and I am just way too invested?
Also a couple leaves have started to show slight cracks
IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

Thats not a pepper monster just a finger
I would be less concerned it two leaves had no dropped off the main stem
Does this happen as the plant gets bigger and hardens?

That first pic is blurry, but it looks like everything else is pretty good. Color of the leaves is a nice green, so no problems there. If you are worried about that leaf having any nasty bugs on it just pich it off at the main stem and throw it in the garbage. If you have never had a fatali before, prepare to be addicted, they are super delicious!

I haven't tried one before, I got it from my brother who purchased a bunch of plants and some scorpion seeds which turned out to be bhut jolokia
Thank you for the advice

no problem, don't do what I did and love them too much, I seriously killed 2 plants earlier this year with too much water and ferts that eventually led to root rot once temps got high. Let them do their thing and give them some water when they start too wilt. Of course they will wilt all day long here in Texas with how freaking hot it is, best time to check is early morning before it gets hot and the sun hits them. Just moved one of my Habanero plants outside and it looks absolutely pitiful during the day, but at night it pers back up and is fine.

i heard that its best to water them in the evening if they stay wilted? it they are standing upright just leave them alone?

you can do that as well, I usually check them in the morning simply for the fact that at 11p.m. they may still be wilted due to the 1000000000000000F temperature days we are having up here. So for me early morning when it is in the lower 80's gives me a better idea.

It seems as through every spring I end up dealing with strong wind storms that strips the leaves and breaks off some of the tops. They always come back strong, so I wouldn't worry too much about losing a few leaves. I would be more concerned about a cracked stem especially if it is close to the base. That's why you always plant more than you need to account for the setbacks.

When it's in the upper 80s to lower 90s I give them a good drink at night. I only had to deal with the upper 90s a couple of days this season and gave them a good drink those nights as well. When it's in the lower 80s and below they get a lighter drink.

This all gets easier over time!!

Back