• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fatalii smackdown

Chocolate Fatalli
IMG_2593.jpg

Cool PRF...at least our "chocolates" look the same...

here is a pic of my first ripening Fatalii...not so good a pic but it is a Red Fatalii..

060709a008.jpg

Hey hey, reinforcements!;)

You two guys, AJ and PRF, have been such an inspiration to me this year. The success you've both had, and the season has a long way to go, proves that you truly do reap what you sow. Thanks to both of you.

POTAWIE said:
I started a new thread, now that the framework is all in place for this comparison/smackdown.
Good luck everyone, you're going to need it. I'm already thinking of ways to expand my poly-tunnel to fit my huge fatalii plants come spring:lol:

Just what were the rules/framework for this Fatalii smackdown?

Silver_Surfer said:

Well...it wasn't exactly clear and that is why the word comparison has been used. When it was first discussed people were throwing out all types of ideas. As you have seen first ripe pod was one. I believe overall health is one. I think someone mentioned size of the harvest. I don't really recall the specifics, but I think you get the idea.

Pepper-Guru said:
With pepper plants, it isn't necessary to prune in any way (biologically speaking), however, as most growers become acustomed to doing a certain thing a particular way, aesthetics play an even bigger role than reason. Hell, there are plenty of things that I do myself that I couldn't begin to explain and Im sure there are no further reasons for those things than to simply make me feel better. I suppose one could argue that it provides for better airflow within the branches, but then again when not growing indoors, the plants get all the circulation they need. Also, pruning the larger leaves on the main trunk will let more light into the lowest nodes and create more branches to shoot out...

Good looking plants so far guys!:)

lee said:
Definitely agree with Pepper-Guru. The reason why I prune some plants is that the lower area receives less light, branches grow very slowly as the canopy get more dense..

Like PG said they actually don't need to be pruned or whatever to grow into nice plant. but hey I like to try things and do some experimenting to learn more about growing :D

Thanks guys. I think i'll leave the bottom growth on one and lop them off on the other and see if that causes any difference in canopy growth.

Silver_Surfer said:

Rules...we don't need no stinkin' rules :lol:

the idea was for everyone to grow them their own way and compare the results through the season...

PRF and I are growing some in 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 5 gallon, and I have a couple in 7 gallon containers to see if container size makes a difference...it apparently does...the ones I have in a one gallon are loaded with pods and are bigger than the ones in the larger containers so far...

I saw my first Red Fatalii starting to turn yesterday morning and yesterday evening, I noticed one of my regular fataliis is beginning to yellow...

I put mine out in the elements where they get full sun (all day long...no shade at all...and the wind has been horendous...they were wind blown so bad that a few lost most of their leaves but they have bounced back great...

Josh said:
Well...it wasn't exactly clear and that is why the word comparison has been used. When it was first discussed people were throwing out all types of ideas. As you have seen first ripe pod was one. I believe overall health is one. I think someone mentioned size of the harvest. I don't really recall the specifics, but I think you get the idea.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation Josh.

AlabamaJack said:

the idea was for everyone to grow them their own way and compare the results through the season...

PRF and I are growing some in 1 gallon, 2 gallon, 5 gallon, and I have a couple in 7 gallon containers to see if container size makes a difference...it apparently does...the ones I have in a one gallon are loaded with pods and are bigger than the ones in the larger containers so far...

I saw my first Red Fatalii starting to turn yesterday morning and yesterday evening, I noticed one of my regular fataliis is beginning to yellow...

I put mine out in the elements where they get full sun (all day long...no shade at all...and the wind has been horendous...they were wind blown so bad that a few lost most of their leaves but they have bounced back great...

That's very interesting that the 1 gal container is outperforming the larger ones. It will be nice to see if that holds true all season.
Yeah, I've noticed that about the Fatalii, they can't seem to get too much sun and don't wilt at all, even during the hottest part of the day. They seem to like 90+ degree temps.

POTAWIE said:
Its just a simple comparison. In the beginning some people didn't want to participate in a contest because of their geographical disadvantage so we made it into a comparison. There are no rules, except that you have to post pics and progress of your plants

Original thread
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=9071

I just found and joined this forum last month, so my few Fatalii plants are past the progressive stage, since some already have pods, so I'll just wait till next year.
This is a great thread and I'm enjoying the pics and data. :)

AlabamaJack said:

I have a few Fataliis in full sun and and a few in partial sun/shade. So far, no big difference, but it's very early. AJ, those 1 gallon plants are the rabbit and the 5 and 7's will be the tortoise. We all know how that story ends. My money is on the big pots, I'll bet you will get more than double the pods in the long run. I'm thinking the 1 gallons make great starter plants to be transferred to a larger pot later. More work, but might be worth it. I'll have some Fatalli pics soon.

Well, I've finally planted my peppers outside, even though temps are really too low. Here's the last picture of the Fatalii plants in pots all together. Some have buds.

FataliiPDreadie.jpg

Obviously, I'm not in your league, but I figure as long as it's fulfilling, why not keep plugging...right? :)

patrick said:
Looking good PC. Do we get to see what's outside?

Thanks Patrick. It's been raining off and on since I planted them, and the rain is expected to continue for a few more days. I will take some pictures this weekend and post. Thanks again.

Mmmmmm.... chocolate...

Y'all keep track of the harvest quantity from your best-in-breed plant now!
I think there should be a special prize for the biggest/most perfect single pod too.

Back