• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Father In Need Of Help

These below are my newly borns. Im a very proud father and theres like 20 more to come. Anyways, this is my first time adding two seeds to a cup and I was wondering when would be the proper time to separate the two seedlings. Should I do it now or wait till they are a little older?

RIS.jpg

Ha, love the naming! Can't wait too long otherwise the roots will tangle on you, however I would say once you get the seed husk off give it a couple days. When I had to do this I just used a plastic spoon to scoop everything out without damage, worked well for me. I'd husks are stubborn, a steady hand and a pair of tweezers work great for me.

Yeah Im an expert with dealing with the little ones that sprout with their crash helmets on. I usually just put a drop of water on the husk and wait about an hour or so, and when the husk is soft, I usually gently pull it off. I once broke the leaves off a baby bhut, but I managed to save it. The spoon idea is a good one and im sure it will work. Im just gonna wait till Morris is standing tall like the rest.

I'm always tempted to put > 1 seed/container too, to increase chances of germination rate, but it has its down-side in that both will sprout and tangle.

Ive done it several times. At that stage its easy to seperate. Just dig between them about two inches down and dig one up carefully. Put the one you dig up in its new home. You should be good.
happy fathers day!

Those are YOUR seeds Sci. I germinated 5 seeds of each type of pepper you gave me. So far the only ones that have sprouts are the Scorpions and the 7Pods...the rest are still under the heat lamps.

Can you downsize your pics before posting them please.

I don't understand the point of planting two or more seeds in one cup unless the plan is to keep only one. Each one is eventually going to needs it's own cup/pot to reach it's potential.

Best of luck to you getting them all sorted out.

Back