• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

favorite chile oil

recently i ate dinner at the neighborhood sushi joint.. its a little corner sushi and chinese buffet thats been here in orlando for about 16 years or so.. ive been eathing there since 1999. i have a friendly rapport with the owner and his wife who also operate. like i said they have buffet and sushi, and since i always get one of those, i never order off the main menu.. well the other night i got this crazy seafood and pan fried noodle dish off the main menue for a change of pace.. it was really good but i wanted some hot sauce i asked for some, and the owner Ping brought me some chile oil instead of the usual srirracha, or this soy chile thing he makes there (also really good)

chile oil.. id had it, but usualy its just this oily stuff with a bunch of chile flake in it..

this was finely diced chunks of fresh chiles, fried in a small amount of oil.. it made a very flavorful paste that was great on my noodles. moderate heat with moderate chile flavor..

i asked him and he said it was just that.. fried chiles in oil.

i had to try it.. i made 4 diffefrent oils today with 4 different kinds of peppers i have growing

1) thai hots: 10 small thai hots 4 tbsp of veg oil, fried them up at 250 deg F.. no hotter because i didnt want them to burn.. i was diceing pretty fine for maximum flavor.
this mix was good, but my thai hots are a bit bitter and then very hot.. thats all they are, so.. as you can imagine thats what this oil tasted like..a bit bitter and then really hot....
tried adding sesame, but then that was all i could taste.. and of course it was still really hot..

2) cayennes: tried 6 large dried cayennes.. with 4 tbsp of veggie oil.. better flavor, decent heat.. but the cayenne isnt the most flavorful of peppers either.. this oil was just ok... about like what i had at the restaurant.

3) Basic red chile: ive been growing a basic red chile. dont know the name.. its the size of a jalapeno, but its sweeter, hotter, and has a flat top and pointy triangular shape.. this made a nice chile oil.. i used 4 of them.. and 1/8th cup of veggie oil.. great flavor.. sweet, and a hot finish.. ill be making more of this.. incidentaly this is my go to pepper for jams too because its very fleshy, sweeter in flavor than most peppers, and has good heat..

4) Datil
i love the datil, and i have had a large crop of late, so i used 2 dozen of them and a half cup of veggie oil.. again kept the temp at 250 with a fine dice.. seeds and all with all of these recieps.. this oil was pure fire.. very very hot.. the flavor was pure datil.. extremely strong flavor. i ate some on a brat right off the grill on a potato roll with onion, and it was one of the primary flavors.. it was really good.. i took half of the oil and added some pressed fresh garlic and made another variation that was also really good..

in retrospect, i probably could have used more oil, and it would have absorbed just as much flavor, but i was afraid of diluting it.. o well ill make more later :)

so whats your favorite chile oil recipe?

IS the basic red chilli possibly a fresno? I just sowed some seeds from an unnamed storebought red chili that lookd identical to the one in the Chili's (restaurant) logo. It looks kinda like a red jalapeno too but I am pretty sure its a fresno because it is more triangular.. Also it was very sweet..

I don't have a favorite chili oil yet but yours sounds good. I was going to do a recipe out of "The Whole Chili Pepper" book (they do the magazine too) Book has great recipes.

I have tried the garlic srirracha and it's pretty good, Having an overload of garlic, peppers I may attempt something along that line too.

I did something similar last week for my xmas gifts.. I heated the oil on the stove for 5 min to med heat.. throw in the fresh diced habs. jar it up and set it in a warm place to infuse for at least 7-10 days.. after that I strain/filtered out the peppers so they don't dissolve and cloud the oil. Im going to put it on a fancy bottle with a ribbon for xmas. It should go great with they infused salt im also giving them.

Back