• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Favorite salsa tomato?

hottoddy said:

That looks interesting - might give it a try. They call it an "F1" (like a lot of stuff on their website), but it appears to have been around a while. Are they cloning from the original cross? Are subsequent generations showing deviations? Maybe it means something else, but I couldn't find any description on their site.
no. hybrid seeds are produced by crossing two stable parents and collecting the seeds.
the plants are not allowed to self pollinate what so ever. 

they do not degrade because the stable parents do not degrade.

hybrids tend to be more productive in general. the breeding also alows the breeder to select for ideal traits like disease resistance etc.

because the seeds are f1, you cannot reasonably collect the seeds for reuse.

pozanno is very very productive. its NOT a determinate though. you should be aware that this thing will grow very tall.
i had 4 pozanno plants over 11 feet tall. 
the stems break easily, so you have to lower them every few days... not in huge 1 foot increments.

they will BER readily! buy some calcium nitrate if you are going to grow these.

for me the best tomato hands down is costoluto--either costoluto genovese or costoluto fiorentino. They are heavily ribbed and subject to BER, but the flavor is incredible.

I like to just use some big boys to blend into the sauce. But then I always chop up some Romas to add the chunky texture.

Last year I made my salsa with green zebra the first time the second time with green zebra and green tomatillo.
This year I am growing golden San Marino hybrid ,green zebra ,purple tomatillo&pineapple tomatillo for salsa
I recommend any of these for salsa.
As for tomatoes my buddy liked the green zebra so much so he requested some form me for this year as I am growing them form seed.

I haven't tried Opalka, but I'd figure any of the good pastes would work? I should see if I have some Heidi seeds around here somewhere ("The fruits are elongated, red, thin-skinned, thick-walled, meaty, weighing about three ounces.  Unlike typical bland tasting paste tomatoes, 'Heidi' has an excellent, full, rich flavor.").

I'm growing a heart for my salsa this year, that and a bunch of early slicers because I know I can get them to fruit before the heat sets in.

Plantguy76 said:
Last year I made my salsa with green zebra the first time the second time with green zebra and green tomatillo.
This year I am growing golden San Marino hybrid ,green zebra ,purple tomatillo&pineapple tomatillo for salsa
I recommend any of these for salsa.
As for tomatoes my buddy liked the green zebra so much so he requested some form me for this year as I am growing them form seed.

I think you'll be really happy with the Green Zebra from seed. It's a small plant and very hardy.

Another vote for Green Zebra, grow it every year as it always produces and has a great flavor. Made a salsa last year out of them with some tomatillos that was delicious.

meatfreak said:

I actually don't agree. For fresh salsa the San Marzano is way to dry and don't have much flavor like when it's cooked into sauce or salsa. I've quite a few tomatoes now and for fresh use I found the Sacharnaja Sliwa Krasnaja the best for both raw and cooked salsa. Also the Black & Red Boar is excellent. I can send them to you if you wanna try.

Can't speak to those varieties, but I agree that San Marzanos can be dry for a pico de gallo. But I like a little soup in my salsa. If you are limited on space like me I just stick with globe and beefsteak and squeeze the excess water out.

Yes, Romas are a good all around Tomato. I use Romas in all my Italian sauces, but for Salsa I never cared much for the taste, or texture.  

From the garden I use Celebrities and form the store I use Vine Ripe. Not sure what variety the Vine Ripe are, but they are sure good in the salsa. I also add a few cherry tomatoes for sweetness. 

The only salsa I make with tomatoes is pico. And I like the nice square dice in pico with low water content (Roma).

All my other salsas are peppers only. 

The Hot Pepper said:
The only salsa I make with tomatoes is pico. And I like the nice square dice in pico with low water content (Roma).

All my other salsas are peppers only. 
Especially when they are fresh from your garden as well as almost all the other ingredients! 

10491078_835767583123636_3582685161855833270_n.jpg

Pico!!!!!!! So good when it's fresh! Don't let it sit and "marinate" in its own juices yuck... awesome so fresh....BOOM!

hogleg said:
I tried striped green sausage last year hoping for a green paste type for salsa, very bland don't bother.
Hogleg thanks for the heads up I was wondering about them now I know not to get them.
Ever grown that green grape tomato and if so any good?

No I haven't but it sounds pretty good. As far as cherry/grape, I've been growing Sun Sugar for 5 or 6 years with no plans of turning back.

For a few years now I've being using red cherry tomatoes exclusively for my fresh salsa. I also add tomatillos. For the heat - bhut jolokia or carolina reaper. Happy with the results.

Back