• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

FayahBen's 2012 season

Greetings :)

With the spring incoming, it's time to start the grow log for this season.
Well, for now it's not a really good start, i had problem with too low temperatures (and a little over-watering with the soil not drying well) with the first germinated plants that has stunted their growth, but they are recovering slowly. The temperature is better, but the plants could enjoy more heat, so they are still growing a little bit slow.
Some strains have been a little hard to germinate too with several retries.
The chinenses have been sown around mid-january, the annums and baccatums around mid-february. I've sown the rocotos in late autumn.

Here's the strain list for this season:
(the chinenses, rocotos and baccatum are goin to be grown in pots, the annums in soil)

Sweet:
Belize sweet
Buran
Corno di toro yellow
Cubanelle
Lipstick
Marconi red
Mini chocolate bell
Orange bell
Pimento
Purple beauty
Quadrato Asti Giallo
Trinidad perfume

Light:
Alma paprika
Ancho 101
Pasilla bajio

Medium:
Bishop's crown
Brazilian starfish
Jalapeno M

Hot:
Aji habanero
Fish pepper
Goat's weed
Lemon drop
Omnicolor
Orange Thaï
Serrano

Very hot:
Bahamian goat
Bonda Ma Jacques
Caribbean red
Cumari
Fatalii
Habanero orange
Habanero peach
Habanero peruvian white
Habanero yellow
Jamaican hot chocolate
Rocoto rouge
Scotch bonnet Jamaican
Scotch bonnet FDA
Scotch bonnet TFM
Scotch bonnet yellow

Super hot (well, some mild ones ^^):
Naga Morich
Yellow 7 pod

And some pics from last week-end...
semis1r.jpg

semis2r.jpg

It's not looking very good, but they are doin better everyday :D, i've given them a little fert too to help (even if i don't like to do it with little plants with less than 3-4 pairs of leaves, but hell some are now quite 2 months old :/).
In fact the chinenses that didn't germinate at first try are looking better than the others...
(There's some eggplant, tomatillo and physalis seedlings in there too)
Anyway it's going better, but i'll have to wait a little more for the first harvests (i still have plenty frozen anyway ^^).

Some quick news...
The weather is still unstable, we had a lot of days without sun (but without rain too) with fresh temperatures.
But the summer seems to settle down a little now, i hope so. ^^
There has been some flowers drops, so there's not a lot of (small) pods on them for now.
The annuums in soil haven't grown a lot, but the few peppers on have.

piments31r.jpg

piments32r.jpg

piments33r.jpg

piments34r.jpg

piments35r.jpg

Sorry, i've been a little busy, but with the peppers beginning to ripen, here comes some new pics.
The summer has been definately here for a month, with very few rain and some days pretty hot, and the plants love it. ^^
There has been a lot of flower drops, so there's not a lot of fruits on the plants (anyway i always have more than i need, so it's not really a problem, hehe). And there's still a lot of plants on which i don't have isolated pods yet.
There's a few sunburn on some bell peppers, and a few plants are suspected not to be what they should be.
But soon, there will be a lot of different strains to taste. :)

Omnicolor:
omnicolor01r.jpg

Trinidad perfume:
trinidadperfume01r.jpg

Annuums:
piments41r.jpg

piments42r.jpg

And a small harvest: ^^
(I've already picked some peruvian white habs, cumari, mini choco bell, and some unripe bell peppers)
rcoltepiments201201r.jpg

Bottom left, you can see the TFM scotch bonnet which looks supsect, all on the plant look like an annuum to me. Any guess ?

With the heat, the peppers are beginning to ripen faster. Here's a few new pics.

Cumari:
cumari01r.jpg

Bahamian goat:
bahamiangoat01r.jpg

The other bahamian goat which isn't one (surely a cross, maybe with a scorpion ?):
bahamiangoatnc01r.jpg

Scotch bonnet FDA, which doesn't really look like pics i've seen of it:
scotchbonnetfda02r.jpg

Trinidad perfume:
trinidadperfume02r.jpg

And a little harvest:
rcoltepiments201202r.jpg

More pics coming soon...

Some pics from last week-end...

piments51r.jpg

piments52r.jpg

piments53r.jpg

Yellow habanero:
habaneroyellow01r.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate:
jamaicanhotchocolate01r.jpg

Scotch bonnet yellow:
scotchbonnetyellow01r.jpg

Naga morich:
nagamorich01r.jpg

Yellow 7 pod:
yellow7pod01r.jpg

Some sweet peppers:
rcoltepiments201203r.jpg

And some hot ones:
rcoltepiments201204r.jpg

Very nice pics and harvest. Maybe someone with expertise can help you with the identification of some of your peppers.

Well, the unidentified peppers are mostly crosses i think, so it's not really important as i won't keep seeds from them.

A few more pics from the beginning of the week...

The rocotos with a few ripe fruits, more are forming now after a period without flowers (could it be related more to photoperiod than heat ? Because they have started flowering and fruiting again under high temperatures)
rocotos03r.jpg

Jamaican scotch bonnet:
scotchbonnetjamaican01r.jpg

Carribean red:
caribbeanred01r.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques:
bondamajacques01r.jpg

Omnicolor:
omnicolor02r.jpg

And another nice little harvest (still no ripe fruits from some strains, coming soon i think):
rcoltepiments201205r.jpg

In fact i'm mostly freezing them for preservation. Easy to use in meals and sauce, and faster to manage at harvest. ^^

A few more pods: :D

rcoltepiments201206r.jpg

There are few peppers left on some plants, and some only begin to ripen on others...

Peach Habanero:
habaneropeach01r.jpg

And a few more pods:
rcoltepiments201207r.jpg

Greg, i'm far from your full buckets, but it's still more than enough for me. :D
Yes, the end of season is coming soon, few ripe pods left on the chinenses, the new ones won't do it.
But the annuums are loaded with pods which will ripen soon.
The baccatums are still producing at their good rhythm.

Reacutecoltepiments201209r.jpg

The annuums, waking up a little late: ^^

piments6r.jpg

After a few little frosts and now a coller weather, the pepper plants are still alive... Well, the chinenses hadn't liked it and are quite defoliated, but the annuums and baccatums are still producing...

Little harvest from past week (sorry, mainly sweet pepper on it ^^):
Reacutecoltepiments201210r.jpg

Back