• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ferbys Glog 2014 - 30/3

Again this year I'll try to GLOG from my overcrowded dorm room. This year i will try to continue after april too ;)

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37141-overcrowded-danish-glog-more-pics-less-talk/?hl=%2Bovercrowded+%2Bdanish

I am growing a lot of blushing and brown chinenses, a full list is still to come. (With blushing i mean e.g. CGN21500, peach color with a purple blush)

Also i will grow my possibly crossed mini rocoto again, but since i did not isolate any flowers last year i will grow the F2 again this year. I also have a wild every year and i would like to thank John Fiedler (johnf here on thp) for the C. galapagoense seeds.

I have been looking for C. flexuosum the whole last year but without succes. Maybe i'll find it this year.

Again this year i will try to have a lot af pictures with each update since the pictures are the most fun.

I'll probably also throw in some off topic pictures too.

I am about to zip-lock my seeds with moist paper towel and put them on my radiator. This worked out fine last year when i found out how to monitor the temp.

I'll return with my grow list

Pics of my BOC and a C. pubescens from last year:

peace

Status
The seeds from round 1 are slowing down, none germinated yesterday. Right now the germination rate is 72 %, and it might stop there. I'll leave the bags on the radiator just in case some extras decide to germ.

Here you can see my germinations:
kurve_zpsc4338779.jpg

Miscucho Colorado was the first to pop already after 2 days, but all of these had germinated within the first 3 days:
Miscucho Colorado
PI 159236
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Long
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Aji Ahuachapau
Takanotsume
Georgia Black
Tobago Seasoning
Aji White Fantasy
Pimient d'Espelette
Manabi Sweet

I'm actually surprised how many chinenses germinated already after 3 days.

Extras
Some haven't germinated so i sowed a round 2 of these guys:
Mini Rocoto
BOC
C. chacoense
C. galapagoense PI 639682
Bhut jolokia India Carbon
Dorset Naga
Bih Jolokia

Extra Extra
I also got 3
Pimenta pink tiger seeds.
They are already bagged and I really hope those beauties will germinate.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DO4mNXlBn9U/Uh3V3XH-3zI/AAAAAAAABvk/vB2E1XTM7Ok/s1600/IMG_4052_tn.jpg

My setup
Seeds are put in a zip-lock bag on a piece of moist TP. The bags are lying on a radiator with a constant temp. between 26 and 31 degrees celsius.
As soon as I see the root coming out i put them in soil in a mini greenhouse. Here the temp is between 21 and 27 degrees.
As soon they are above soil (and without seedcap) i take them out of the mini greenhouse so they quickly get used to the dryer air in my living room.
I use no artificial light.

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/FerbyABCP/media/setup_zps6c08b993.jpg.html]
setup_zps6c08b993.jpg

BTW. Looking forward to
I am really looking forward to seeing how these grow out. Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Brown:
http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/107991695
http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/66502287
I wrote to the grower in USA, just to hear if he had spare seeds. He had and was very helpfull. These and the tigers are the ones I am most excited about this year. Oh and also the C. galapagoense that he also sent me.

Things are growing pretty good.

I have too many seedlings though.

I'm lucky to have somebody right next to the plants willing to take care of spare seedlings :D

BTW they can feel spring is coming and have a very funny way of courting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57X-skvdMc8

SB7J F3

C. galapagoense PI 639682. I have sown a lot of those because i thought they were hard to germinate. Turns out I was wrong ;)

Jamaican SB Brown with weak cotyledons but growing som stronger true leaves.

My plants with a lot of anthocyanins/blushing.
Pimenta Elisa, CGN 21566 and Pimenta Pink Tiger
Puerto rican Yellow, CGN 21500 and Pimenta Tiger

CGN 21566 and Pimenta Pink Tiger

Left: my OW C. baccatum "Blondie" which is very brittle ATM. Right: My newly repotted c.reaper.

First flowers starting to show on my blondie!!

I accidently broke of a branch of my blondie :banghead: , so i'm trying to root it for fun (no hormones).

Have a nice weekend everybody :cheers:

I waited a bit too long to pot up my plants, so they had a break with only little growth. A few days ago i repotted and already i can see them grow from day to day.

My blondie cutting is still alive but i had to cut off a leaf to prevent it from losing too much water. Its currently happy in a clear plastic bag on my livingroom floor :D

I have cut off a few flowerbuds my C.Reaper already. I still think it's too early for it to flower. Maybe i'll even pot it up again before i let it grow pods.

Aji White Fantasy

Pimenta Pink Tiger

CGN21500

Sorry if the pics are a bit blurry. They are from my cell phone

Spring is really here in DK. We just had 15 degrees celsius today. We still have night frost though........

Peace!

Btw I haven't updated you on my setup. I repotted to square 10*10 cm pots. I will upload a pic.

inspired by bricklayer I will put out some plants now for fun.
I have some mixed spare plants I will plant out this Friday, just for fun to see if they survive. I don't even hope they will bear fruit, but you never know. This Friday the night frosts seem to hold and I will put a glass jar over the plants. The plants are annuum, baccatum and pubescens.

Nulle do you want to swap seeds, I think I have some of those on your wanted list.
Nulle said:
Sikke nogle kønne fugle :P. And nice looking peppers.

Hi It's been a long time since my last update. Now it's time for some to move out. It's pretty crowded here.

My OW C. baccatum "Blondie" and my gift "Carolina Reaper" both have pods now. This is my bedroom window.

The Blondie is really pretty with a hint of purple on the sun side.

This plant has several nodes with 2 pods. Kind of cool on a C. baccatum.

I took an unintended cutting a long time ago and nothing happened... Until now! Suddenly it had roots.

Another thing i succeeded in rooting along with the Blondie was this bad boy:

I tried with 2 but only one survived.

My C.Reaper has only funky looking pods. Their look remind me of the naga types. It's not how they are supposed to look, but I guess it's still unstable. I'm sure they are plenty hot no matter how they appear ;)

This is one of my best looking chinenses this year (Apart from the C.Reaper). Its my own cross [Numex Suave Orange x Bhut Orange Copenhagen] F1. I think the BOC is very hot, so i wanted to make a less hot BOC... A suave BOC.... A SBOC! Maybe it's because it's a F1 hybrid that it is so vigorious.

This is my PI 159236. I don't know how well it shows on camera, but it has a blue tone over it's leaves. Very pretty. It also has scented leaves. I really like this one.

My SB7J (Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot Jonah) stood still for a month. Now it suddenly put out two leaves. I think their pods look so mean, so I was really pleased when it suddenly showed progress.

You've got some good looking peppers and some exiting crosses. :P What did you do to get that pineapple to grow? Mine has always failed. :confused:

Ferby said:

The Blondie is really pretty with a hint of purple on the sun side.

My C.Reaper has only funky looking pods. Their look remind me of the naga types. It's not how they are supposed to look, but I guess it's still unstable. I'm sure they are plenty hot no matter how they appear ;)

This is one of my best looking chinenses this year (Apart from the C.Reaper). Its my own cross [Numex Suave Orange x Bhut Orange Copenhagen] F1. I think the BOC is very hot, so i wanted to make a less hot BOC... A suave BOC.... A SBOC! Maybe it's because it's a F1 hybrid that it is so vigorious.

My SB7J (Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot Jonah) stood still for a month. Now it suddenly put out two leaves. I think their pods look so mean, so I was really pleased when it suddenly showed progress.

Looks very good. 

Annoying thing with the Blondie is that it is rather hard to say when it is really ripe.

Your C. Reaper does not look right...

Very good looking SBOC. Looking very much forward to your F2s. I've tried to cross hot and mild chinenses in order to get medium hot, but no success this far. After reading more on the subject, I get the feeling that it is kind of a binary thing: Either it is hot, or it is not. No in between stages. So right now I'm looking for a medium hot chinense that I can cross with a hot one, in order to get the good taste of the hot one with less heat.

Did you also get your SB7J from DonDix ? Mine is a bit further then yours. Flowering but no pods yet. 

Nulle said:
You've got some good looking peppers and some exiting crosses. :P What did you do to get that pineapple to grow? Mine has always failed. :confused:

Thanks :D I cut off all soft fruit tissue, let it dry for a week. Watered it with a water spray for several weeks (for fun i guess) and potted it in a seedmix with perlite.
HAJ said:
Looks very good. 

Annoying thing with the Blondie is that it is rather hard to say when it is really ripe.

Your C. Reaper does not look right...

Very good looking SBOC. Looking very much forward to your F2s. I've tried to cross hot and mild chinenses in order to get medium hot, but no success this far. After reading more on the subject, I get the feeling that it is kind of a binary thing: Either it is hot, or it is not. No in between stages. So right now I'm looking for a medium hot chinense that I can cross with a hot one, in order to get the good taste of the hot one with less heat.

Did you also get your SB7J from DonDix ? Mine is a bit further then yours. Flowering but no pods yet. 
Thanks a lot.
Yes. My guess is that is also the reason that a lot of people are having trouble germinating Blondie.

Interesting with the hot or not thing. It's learning stuff like that that make it fun to cross peppers. I guess i'll see in F2.

Yep DonDix as well. :)

II had some extra pictures. I might as well post them...

My Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate has some funky leaves, I'm not sure why, maybe just bad luck?

The C. galapagoense is happy enough, but doesn't seem even close to first bud.

Pimenta Pink Tiger has a bit of leaf damage but is happy all in all. Could be bigger though.

Peace

Hi again everybody.
I believe it is time to follow up on my long forgotten glog. It's never to late :D
I was really busy last spring writing my bachelor thesis. It took all my time and i neglected most of my plants. Luckily some survived! I tried to fit as many as possible into my windowsill with a lot of leaves/growth and no flowers as the result. I tossed out 3 out of 5 plants and now i have pods on the 2 remaining plants. In front of them i have some small plants. Two are handling the small pots well. The Mischuco Colorado is really pretty and hairy and the Medusa (an ornamental) hasn't grown since May, but has been spraying out pods (with no heat and boring taste). 

I have had a [mini rocoto x ?] the last couple of years. Last year i got a lot of flowers and (almost) no fruit. This year i cut off all flowers when i planted it out. It worked really well. It is a F2 so genetic variation is also part of the reason for last years scarce harvest. This year i only had this one plant so the seeds are isolated for next years F3 plants.

After pulling off the Reapers and Blondies I threw out the plants and potted up a Vincent's Sweet Habanero and a SB7J. They are both podding up now as well, though the SB7J seems to be dropping A LOT of flowers. Vincent's is much more prolific and compact -  a better plant to grow in the window ;)

Pictures will come as soon as i can find the USB cable for my phone :D

Peace
- Ferby

Back