• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Ferment has crazy bubbles/foam

Hi everyone, I am new here and this is my 1st post. 

I have an old honey jar that has been fermenting for a little over a month now ( just Jalapenos, Serranos, a little bit of sugar and salt and of course water). I forgot about it for about 2 weeks and when I went to burp it...I got a bunch of bubbles that rose from the bottom and created a type of foam on the top for a few minutes. And it does this everytime I burp it now.
I also noticed that it smells a bit like alcohol now too.
Is this normal?

The pic I posted is just a small amount of what I usually see in the morning...and not sure why it's sideways..again 1st post ..LOL 

IMG_8113.jpeg

scottywags said:
Hi everyone, I am new here and this is my 1st post. 

I have an old honey jar that has been fermenting for a little over a month now ( just Jalapenos, Serranos, a little bit of sugar and salt and of course water). I forgot about it for about 2 weeks and when I went to burp it...I got a bunch of bubbles that rose from the bottom and created a type of foam on the top for a few minutes. And it does this everytime I burp it now.
I also noticed that it smells a bit like alcohol now too.
Is this normal?

The pic I posted is just a small amount of what I usually see in the morning...and not sure why it's sideways..again 1st post ..LOL 

attachicon.gif
IMG_8113.jpeg
Sounds typical for me especially depending on the pepper some are more active than others Ive found, perhaps due to sugars or enzyme activity? Carbon dioxide being released and water/pressure equalizing.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Back