• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermentation - What's all the hype?

Fermentation – Why?

It seems to me that the whole hype about "Fermenting" peppers has really exploded here. I see all these questions of how to, this way, that way, salt %, ph, etc. However, I have not read anywhere as to "Why". Why is this fermentation process so popular? What is the ultimate reason that this process is used opposed to any other? Taste? Consistency? Break down the pepper flesh? Shelf Life without boiling/canning? Novelty? Avoid Vinegar for those that do not like the taste? Ritual? Piss the wife off? Just something fun to do? Hobby? All of the above?

The reason I bring this up is that I am starting to collect all my ripe peppers to make my traditional "Mash" process that just uses vinager and salt. But, I am so intrigued by the reading on this topic, it is starting to make me question my yearly process. My mash process is basically just shred the peppers(seed and all) in the food processor, add a half tablespoon of sea salt per large canning jar and then put mash in large canning jars. I then fill jars to the top level of the mash with apple cider vinegar. I then put it in the pantry at room temp for a month. After a month I pull it out, boil the whole batch and then can it with a water bath for 15 minutes. 3 months or so after canning, it is a wonderful broken down sauce that is good alone or the base for something else.

Being so caught up in the “hype” I have actually started my own non vinager mash per the pinned topic at the top of this page about fermenting. I followed all the extra steps of getting yogurt whey, cleanliness, etc, etc and it worked just as outlined. With this test batch it has gone through the bubbling phase and now basically looks/tastes like my vinegar process, minus the vinegar. My other thought is that maybe my vinegar method basically is the same thing as the “fermenting” process?

To answer my own questions regarding why I have use my vinegar process, it is 2 fold:

1) Break down the pepper flesh. Results in a smooth slurry with the only real particulates left being shredded skins and seeds. Could put it through cheesecloth and just extract juice, pulling out few seeds/skins.
2) The pepper flavor mellows out and matures better via with the 1 month sit in pantry, as opposed to skipping that step and just going straight to boiling/canning.

Ultimately, I will probably do a couple of batches via both processes to see the difference. It just strikes my interest to hear from any of you that do the non vinegar Fermentation process as to the ultimate objective of your sauce to make you want to go through all this additional work and cleanliness?

personnaly i prefer something naturally made (when made right).

the fermentation also add some good batéria in the food thus giving good batéria for your body :)

wine, sauerkraut, beer etc... all made from that "fermentation" and has been the way to go until fridge or science got in.

so you chose.... in the end you eat your stuff so test it if you dont like... add vinegar or boil. Just be carefull! no one wants food poisoning!

if i had an old barrel of oak i would try to make a big fermmented barrel of peppers (like tabasco sauce) just for the fun and learn from that..
but maybe i will just add oak cube (like in wine making) to give a new dimension to my fermented sauce :)

problem for now is the lack of peppers here! garden (or raised bed too small this year so i cook with what i have...

Back