• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermented vs non fermented sauce

Pretty late on this post. However I find that i never liked making a sauce without fermenting. I just jumped into fermenting in a way i picked up from an old time masher, no frills involved, no fanfare. The flavor is second to none and have never had a problem with the pH of the sauce... I have just begun to analyze sauce mashed for months compared to years with a friend of mine.. we will see... but ive loved a year to three year fermented mash for sauce... i will make a 2011 Fatali/Mustard Hab sauce this week.. stay tuned

Fermented sauces can be absolutely delicious and have a flavor like none other. They also don't have to have a "bite" like salsalady says they have. One can simply select certain peppers and add certain ingredients that will not make a bitter sauce. I am so happy with the flavors of my fermented sauces I won't be buying much if any sauces in the future. Plus many would argue they are healthier.

Okay, so how do you get the excess saltiness out of the sauce?  My first ferment, just processed yesterday, tasted too salty.  I used 3.6% pickling salt by weight, unless I somehow botched the measurement.  I'm thinking I can use a portion of wine for the liquid to help prevent infection, and reduce the % of salt.  Does this make sense?

I tried the potato trick to draw out the salt, but it wasn't satisfactory. 

Roguejim said:
Okay, so how do you get the excess saltiness out of the sauce?  My first ferment, just processed yesterday, tasted too salty.  I used 3.6% pickling salt by weight, unless I somehow botched the measurement.  I'm thinking I can use a portion of wine for the liquid to help prevent infection, and reduce the % of salt.  Does this make sense?

I tried the potato trick to draw out the salt, but it wasn't satisfactory. 

Most of the recipes I have use 4% salt by weight.  I use that percentage because I don't use starters (most of the time, nothing against starters by the way) and I like the lil extra salt for insurance.  After fermentation the mash is indeed salty.  It's also sour and complex, with a great umami quality and a nice lingering burn.  For processing I will balance some of that salt with other flavors (sweet/sour) to desired end as needed.  

I'd suggest maybe a starter so you could cut the salt % further, Rocketman would be a great resource for that path.  I've never used wine in ferments so I can't speak to that method.  Best of luck RJ!

SmokenFire said:
Most of the recipes I have use 4% salt by weight.  I use that percentage because I don't use starters (most of the time, nothing against starters by the way) and I like the lil extra salt for insurance.  After fermentation the mash is indeed salty.  It's also sour and complex, with a great umami quality and a nice lingering burn.  For processing I will balance some of that salt with other flavors (sweet/sour) to desired end as needed.  

I'd suggest maybe a starter so you could cut the salt % further, Rocketman would be a great resource for that path.  I've never used wine in ferments so I can't speak to that method.  Best of luck RJ!
Thanks again. You always have good advice. I use 1 capsule of Culturelle probiotic to get the ferment going.

Time ago make mash. Most started to ferment. Another remaining part was cook and bottle it.
Then to compare two sauces. This case was better cooked sauce because it include fruits. Particularly not be pleasant for me the fermented fruit.

Ferments without fruit is very good. Ferments with fruit is very ugly.  At least for me.

Back