• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting dried chillies?

Googled to find out if its possible to do a chilli ferment using dried chillies but couldent find a answer. Does anyone know if its possible to do?

Did you rehydrate all of the dried ingredients before starting the fermentation process or just put it all into the jar and kick it off? If you didn't rehydrate them first I could see it taking a bit longer to get going.

I dry my peppers at 135F.  I think 120F kills lacto.
So it would seem reasonable that after you rehydrate the peppers you would add some sort of starter and be good to go.

But I have so many peppers in my freezer I have no need to do this experiment right now.  :)

I've not done it, but my understanding is that dried peppers will ferment sufficiently well.  I'd recommend searching for threads on fermenting smoked peppers and get some of the analogous advice in there.  Using a booster culture to start the ferment quickly and adding other ingredients to the ferment are things I would be considering to hasten and strengthen the ferment.

Other options, if desired and if fresh pods are available too, would be a mixed ferment of dried and fresh pods or fermenting fresh pods then rehydrating and adding the dried pods to the ferment when making the sauce. 

I just stumbled across this today. I'll give it a shot, I love experiments and need something to get excited about besides the boxing events tomorrow.

I'll pick up approx 4 or 5 pounds of store bought jalapenos tonight on the way home. I'll dehydrate them at 110 til crispy, give em a blitz in the coffee grinder and see if I can get it to kick off and ferment from a powder form.

A helper for fermenting would be to add some cabbage leaves as a top layer in the jar. Cabbage is a great...and cheap...starter. At the end, the leaves can be eaten on their own, blended in or discarded.

salsalady said:
A helper for fermenting would be to add some cabbage leaves as a top layer in the jar. Cabbage is a great...and cheap...starter. At the end, the leaves can be eaten on their own, blended in or discarded.
I've had good luck without using starters so far. I'm still a noob though. I've only done 6 ferments. (i wanna make it clear i've only done short ferments so far. I havent gone past 14 day yet, i get to excited cuz it starts to smell so good).

I go with a 2.5% salt brine by the pepper and water weight and let the natural Lacto do it's business. Usually 24 to 48 hours it's bubbling without a starter. Although my current habanero ferment took 4 days before it kicked off. I'm probably gonna scoop some of the liquid of my habanero ferment and dump it in this batch to give it a kick start

Im gonna start a new thread and not hijack this thread. I got the jalapenos on my way home, and they're in the dehydrator now. I want to try and see if i can make this work. 3 of my 6 ferments have been a different method than what most people do on THP. I use an old world style ferment that takes more tending to, but it hasn't failed me yet. I don't want my method to fail me but i kinda do so i can learn more. Failure equals learning.

Back