• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting green peppers?

aI'm gathering all my info to make a fermented sauce (using Tobascos and maybe some Fresnos). My question is - do I need to use only red (ripe) peppers before I start? Is it just a flavor thing, or are the sugars in the ripe peppers that importantant? It's starting to get cold out and I still have a s-load of green Tobascos. I'm planning on using Sourdough Bread hooch as a starter, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

First welcome to the THP!

Green Peppers versus Red Peppers, yeah there's going to be some more sugars in the riper peppers but if you add some other ingredients to the mash, onion, carrots, etc... you'll have plenty of sugars there for a good ferment. so whether to use green peppers or just ripe peppers goes to a matter of taste or as you said above, it's getting cold and you need to get the peppers off the plants.

Thanks! I kind of figured that, but wanted an expert opinion. I've been picking the red ones and freezing them. I'm going to give the rest a couple/few more weeks to ripen and then I'M READY!

aI'm gathering all my info to make a fermented sauce (using Tobascos and maybe some Fresnos). My question is - do I need to use only red (ripe) peppers before I start? Is it just a flavor thing, or are the sugars in the ripe peppers that importantant? It's starting to get cold out and I still have a s-load of green Tobascos. I'm planning on using Sourdough Bread hooch as a starter, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
You can always take the green chili's especially at the end of the season , slice them, put them in a large container and fill with vinegar and a bit of salt. The vinegar can be used at a later date when making hot sauce......gives the sauce some extra zing!

Thanks, PIC 1. The main reason I have been growing the Tobascos the past few years is to make a vinegar 'sauce' using the green peppers. I jar them up, adding a Tsp of sea salt per pint, filling the jars with hot vinegar (5%) and let them sit in the 'dungeon' (unfinished, unheated basement) for a couple of years. I'm a southern guy, and this stuff is awesome on greens (Collards, Murstard, Turnip, etc)!

you could make both red and green sauces, I use about 4 different lacto bacterias from Greek style yogurt to frement my sauces I like green tomatilloes,pineapple, green mangos and run it through my juicer every thing comes out like thick cream. then i pack it in quart jars with airlock lids. then its off to my closet. Sorry abou the long winded post.

Back