• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting jar lids one way airlocks new!!!

oldsalty said:
They are a little pricey but I'm buying a few at a time till I have enough for couple dozen ferments. Or as many as my wife allows. (Gulp) :)

*sarcastic* Hey, but you'll save $2 if you spend $95!!

On a real note, I wonder if baby bottle nipples will work as well.

boostdemon said:

*sarcastic* Hey, but you'll save $2 if you spend $95!!

On a real note, I wonder if baby bottle nipples will work as well.
*continued sarcasm* Sure if you don't mind fermenting in baby bottles!!

Hey wait-a-minit.....that could work....lets think about this a little more :high:

suprchunk said:
I have some of these types for my barrels: http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/carboys-accessories/silicone-waterless-airlock/

Cheaper, better quality, and I think would last longer. Of course you would still have to drill a suitable hole.

I think the baby bottle thing is on track though. Those in the OP look like small nipples (of the baby bottle variety).
wasn't saying they were cheap just nice for the amount of space they save I use the same airlocks you use trying to share different information about a product I haven't seen on THP. As far as quality and duration do you have some of the other style to make a comparison or just blowing smoke. Those airlocks your using I've broke before or have knocked out just looking for new ideas.

oldsalty said:
wasn't saying they were cheap just nice for the amount of space they save I use the same airlocks you use trying to share different information about a product I haven't seen on THP. As far as quality and duration do you have some of the other style to make a comparison or just blowing smoke. Those airlocks your using I've broke before or have knocked out just looking for new ideas.
Sorry, wasn't knocking the ones you posted.

I'm also not blowing smoke, sorta. I have used the ones I posted, but only for beer. Not making sauce. I don't use any airlocks for sauce - yet. I've never broken them either. Didn't think they could be broken unless snipping off the rubber part that holds it all together. I've also not knocked them out as I push them all the way in until the top is flush with a barrel bung - that's how they are designed to be used. Pushed all the way in.

I like the ones you posted as it has given the idea to use baby bottle nipples instead if I go that route. Which yours looks like they are modeled after.

suprchunk said:
Sorry, wasn't knocking the ones you posted.

I'm also not blowing smoke, sorta. I have used the ones I posted, but only for beer. Not making sauce. I don't use any airlocks for sauce - yet. I've never broken them either. Didn't think they could be broken unless snipping off the rubber part that holds it all together. I've also not knocked them out as I push them all the way in until the top is flush with a barrel bung - that's how they are designed to be used. Pushed all the way in.

I like the ones you posted as it has given the idea to use baby bottle nipples instead if I go that route. Which yours looks like they are modeled after.
No worries. Rough day. :)

Back