• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Fermenting Peppers - 10% Salt, too much?

I've done a number of batches of fermented peppers and I've read you can use as much as 10% salt by weight.  Each time I have tried this my peppers have turned into a salt lick by the time I used them. Is this typical of what you guys experience?

If any of  you ferment peppers with 10% salt, what type of recipe are you using to dilute all that salt when making a sauce?

Here's the one I have going.  There is some bubbling on the surface.My almost 20 year old Mr. Beer container.  I knew it was a good idea to keep it around even though it has not been used in decades.

fermented_hotsauce_zpsda1dbeff.jpeg

whould you guys consider a spoonful of whey added to the mash a solid starter?

That's what I used last weekend. I also used approx. 4% salt by weight and still got some kahm yeast growth so I'd bump the salt content if you can. Granted my jar was only half full.

Hey all, new here as I was looking for info on fermenting pepper mash and this seems to be the hot topic.  I've feremented lots of things but am looking for some salt ratios for hot peppers.  I found two receipes I was going to persure as my first two test batches:

One guy from TN, ferments in a 2% brine but uses white wine instead of water.  That sounded interesting.

Another receipe I found from Leeners states: "The minimum salting is 12% by weight for peppers of high SHU and maximum salting of 15% for peppers with low SHU." 

Now granted, Leeners recomends dry bringing and maybe they expect it to be cut with some vinegar? 

Good to know though that at 10% it tastes like a salt lick.  That is what I would expect as well.  When fermenting kraut and pickles, I find 3.3-3.5% is a sweet spot. 

Jobu said:
Here's the one I have going.  There is some bubbling on the surface.My almost 20 year old Mr. Beer container.  I knew it was a good idea to keep it around even though it has not been used in decades.

fermented_hotsauce_zpsda1dbeff.jpeg

WOW, that's a lot of head room for the LAB to try to fill with CO2! I'd really rather see it the other way around with the mash filling up most of the container.

ColdSmoke said:
whould you guys consider a spoonful of whey added to the mash a solid starter?

Depends on how much mash your adding it to and what kind of spoon, teaspoon, tablespoon, serving spoon, your using. It could be enough to start a pint or maybe a quart of mash but not much more than that.

patrad said:
Hey all, new here as I was looking for info on fermenting pepper mash and this seems to be the hot topic.  I've feremented lots of things but am looking for some salt ratios for hot peppers.  I found two receipes I was going to persure as my first two test batches:

One guy from TN, ferments in a 2% brine but uses white wine instead of water.  That sounded interesting.

Another receipe I found from Leeners states: "The minimum salting is 12% by weight for peppers of high SHU and maximum salting of 15% for peppers with low SHU." 

Now granted, Leeners recomends dry bringing and maybe they expect it to be cut with some vinegar? 

Good to know though that at 10% it tastes like a salt lick.  That is what I would expect as well.  When fermenting kraut and pickles, I find 3.3-3.5% is a sweet spot. 

First welcome to THP! I think you'll find that "sweet spot" about right for your pepper mash.

RocketMan said:

WOW, that's a lot of head room for the LAB to try to fill with CO2! I'd really rather see it the other way around with the mash filling up most of the container.

Lol...I'm working on filling it. I forgot that those jugs have a capacity of 6 quarts/5.7 liters.  There is a full pound of superhots (all the stuff from my glog) in there along with garlic, carrots, agave, etc...I may have to go into the freezer and find the bags of habs I have frozen and add them to the mix.

You know I thought about this again, and while a 10% brine may be too much, would it be different if you were adding 10% salt by pepper weight without brine?  I'm going to try.

Update:  I added 1 pound of frozen habs I had in the freezer and approx. 2 pounds of yellow bell peppers that were on the quick-sale rack.  I have it filled to the 4 qt line. You can see the separation of liquid. I couldn't get a good picture of the top with it's nice rocky texture. I used my CO2 beer gear to flush the headspace with 5 psi of CO2 after the last pepper addition.  Looking and smelling good.  

pepper_mash_zpsff9f5ea9.jpeg

Valleyman said:
Excellent link Valleyman....thanks!
CM

Wicked Mike said:

.... I think, for the purposes of a person new to fermenting, it's most important to understand the interplay of the different factors. Properly sanitizing everything, having the right amount of headspace, fermenting in a vessel with a lid that actually seals, and working out how to vent CO2 without letting air in are all highly important. I see salt and starter as sort of a seesaw scenario (points to me for alliteration): one slows growth of undesirable microbes, and the other speeds growth of desirable microbes. When you get to the point that you have a handle on the other factors, you can play around with decreasing the salt and even the starter because it simply isn't as necessary. The next step for me will be playing with temperature. ......... cooler temperatures and cooler temperaments win the day. If patience and a fridge make for the best bread, I can't help wondering if a really long, slow ferment at maybe 70-74 degrees would be good. I welcome any thoughts from you or the community on this one.

+++ 1,1,1
Wicked Mike...IMO,you have hit all the key points in this post.
Anyone wanting to begin fermenting should begin by first reading those remarks and your analysis ....then putting it to memory.
Its all there in that single paragraph.

And as for my personal thoughts on the long term ferments at lower temps.....I have discovered a superior depth and richness of flavor in my pepper mashes that have been moved the fridge after the secondary ferment is complete(approx 2 weeks). When they slowly ferment and mature at that temp, they are unequaled by those I have fermented at room temps. That's why my fridge is pretty much packed to the hilt with ferments.
The lower temp question was  possibly answered for us, when you consider the temps in the caves,root cellars, holes in the ground, that our ancestors used for storing their fermented foods, 
But it does require patience....and of course, low temp storage space is an issue.(makes me wish I had a root cellar some times)
CM

I had some extra chopped peppers that did not fit in my last crock and I just filled a quart jar and placed in the fridge.  Is this bad because I did not let the ferment get going before placing in the fridge? Thank you Chili Monsta for all the guidance and shining light on this fermenting craze going on at THP! I was reading some old PM and saw that you have my BrAiN sTrAiN sticker on your guitar case! Of course I have my big crock bubbling all the time but lot of quart size jars going of all types.  Today I must have picked several thousand Cumari and the look like kernels of corn filled to the rim, this one will sit out before going in the fridge.  Everybody helping out makes this place so great.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I had some extra chopped peppers that did not fit in my last crock and I just filled a quart jar and placed in the fridge.  Is this bad because I did not let the ferment get going before placing in the fridge? Thank you Chili Monsta for all the guidance and shining light on this fermenting craze going on at THP! I was reading some old PM and saw that you have my BrAiN sTrAiN sticker on your guitar case! Of course I have my big crock bubbling all the time but lot of quart size jars going of all types.  Today I must have picked several thousand Cumari and the look like kernels of corn filled to the rim, this one will sit out before going in the fridge.  Everybody helping out makes this place so great.
 The jar you put into the fridge will still ferment....but very...very slowly....probably several months rather than weeks....., and you may never actually see any activity(bubbling), but I would still suggest you vent the jar from time to time. I'd probably also monitor the pH from time to time, just to confirm things progress in the right direction. 
It probably would have had a stronger beginning if you had left it at room temp for 24-26 hours, then moved to the fridge, but it'll be fine.

It truly warms my heart (pun definitely intended) to see so many folks trying their hand at fermenting. All I'm doing (as does Rocket Man and others) is passing on some knowledge and experiences passed on to me by my ancestors.....so the circle continues....and is rewarding indeed.

And Yes...one of your stickers still has a home on one of my guitar cases...and most of the folks that hear me play, already know of my addiction to hot peppers(and fermenting)     I've referred to that sticker in the past when I was performing...commenting that my BS style sauce, traced back from the seeds I got from you, "strains the brain" but not nearly as much as my playing probably strains their ears.
Keep me posted on how the ferment(s) progress
Enjoy.
CM

Back