• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Questions, I think I have my answer but want to confirm it.  I've got everything ready to start a few ferments, jars, airlocks, lactobacillus, and stuff to go inside the jars.  I went to pick up some of the wide mouth reusable plastic lids since I have the tools to drill a hole for the 1/2 grommets but dont currently have a 1/2 hollow punch to cleanly punch a metal lid. 

I noticed that the plastic lids dont have a gasket in them, is it a concern?  I ask because I've read both yes and no on various forums and I've also seen assembled lids sold on various sites that include a gasket.  Since I have the ability to drill glass would a better option be the glass clamp style jars/lids? 

Last thing I promise.  I had to run to the local homebrew store to get airlocks.  The guy that helped me ferments and when I mentioned that I needed to get some ultimate flora for lactobacillus he directed me to a White Labs product, which I assume will work?  Another member also pointed their 672 out to me so this seems like another option.   http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp677-lactobacillus-delbrueckii-bacteria?s=homebrew 

Thanks,

Followed a link from another thread on this site and saw a cool fermenting vessel.
Thought I'd share.
Fermented-Salsa-3-199x300.jpg

sirhc76 said:
Questions, I think I have my answer but want to confirm it.  I've got everything ready to start a few ferments, jars, airlocks, lactobacillus, and stuff to go inside the jars.  I went to pick up some of the wide mouth reusable plastic lids since I have the tools to drill a hole for the 1/2 grommets but dont currently have a 1/2 hollow punch to cleanly punch a metal lid. 

I noticed that the plastic lids dont have a gasket in them, is it a concern?  I ask because I've read both yes and no on various forums and I've also seen assembled lids sold on various sites that include a gasket.  Since I have the ability to drill glass would a better option be the glass clamp style jars/lids? 

Last thing I promise.  I had to run to the local homebrew store to get airlocks.  The guy that helped me ferments and when I mentioned that I needed to get some ultimate flora for lactobacillus he directed me to a White Labs product, which I assume will work?  Another member also pointed their 672 out to me so this seems like another option.   http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp677-lactobacillus-delbrueckii-bacteria?s=homebrew 

Thanks,

Plastic lids without a gasket are indeed a concern - there will be air passage into the vessel.  See if you can't track down grommets to fit if at all possible.  If you have a grommet that will fit a hole drilled into a glass clamp style lid that's fine too - but again the grommet is key :)  Should be able to get them at the place you got the airlocks.

I've read that the white labs will work but never personally used it - some here swear by it.  I'm usually an all natural just salt kinda guy but I've used whey in the past (all likely will again) with good results.  You're well informed and have your stuff together, you'll be fine.      

SmokenFire said:

Plastic lids without a gasket are indeed a concern - there will be air passage into the vessel.  See if you can't track down grommets to fit if at all possible.  If you have a grommet that will fit a hole drilled into a glass clamp style lid that's fine too - but again the grommet is key :)  Should be able to get them at the place you got the airlocks.

I've read that the white labs will work but never personally used it - some here swear by it.  I'm usually an all natural just salt kinda guy but I've used whey in the past (all likely will again) with good results.  You're well informed and have your stuff together, you'll be fine.      
Thanks for the reply I went ahead and ordered these which should be here tomorrow.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PKGU28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have plenty of grommets, I own a Jeep :)  I also picked up a cheap set of hollow hole punches from the ole standby, harbor freight so I'll have both options.  I also found some candle holders at Wally world to use as weights.  They will fit right into the jar, after I sand a little of the edges :)

If I have a jar of fermented peppers and need to top it off for long term storage do I just use a salt water solution? Then is it ok to pressure can like I would pickled veggies?

Halbrust said:
Followed a link from another thread on this site and saw a cool fermenting vessel.
Thought I'd share.
Fermented-Salsa-3-199x300.jpg

That's what I'm using!

Annnd on that note, is it common for white mold to form even when using an airlock? My first ferment was started over the weekend--today was day three--and I noticed some white stuff forming on top when I checked it this evening. I'm used 3-4% salt by weight with some lacto harvested from a tub of plain yogurt.

:cool:

1 Question after you make Sourdough Bread using some of the Sourdough Starter, Do you add anything to the Sourdough Starter you have left?

Chili Monsta said:
If you choose to open and remove the yeast...add enough brine to cover and keep the mash submerged (at least 1-TBS salt per quart water), rinse the lid and reseal.You might get some more yeast growth, but the mash that remains below the surface of the brine will be fine.

I might have to do this. I didn't use brine in mine, but just added salt directly. Do you use something to keep the peppers from floating up?

filmost said:

I might have to do this. I didn't use brine in mine, but just added salt directly. Do you use something to keep the peppers from floating up?
You would need a flat surface to cover. And a weight.

filmost said:

CM has mentioned that he uses cabbage leaves to help hold the mash under the brine.

One thing I've noticed these last couple months is that home fermenting is REALLY taking off.  Lots of new posters sharing their efforts, and thanks to people like RocketMan and ChiliMonsta (and others) they're enjoying great success.  Really wonderful resource of knowledge around here!

filmost said:

If you decide to remove the yeast growth, just pour in enough brine to cover the solids with about an inch of liquid. depending on how much salt you used initially, just mix up enough to replace what you have removed.
Here's some info on brine from an earlier post.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/?p=481755

and as for keeping the solids submerged, As RM stated, I use fresh cabbage leaves. fit them inside tightly, and press down force the ingredients below the surface of the brine. Any yeast of mold growth is easily removed and discarded along with the cabbage leaves....and since the solids have remained submerged they are unaffected.
The cabbage is cheap, plus it contains substantial LAB and natural juices that contribute to a healthy and successful ferment.
Just my 2 cents of advice.
Enjoy...
CM

Once I have my ferment done, its time to cook according to the original post's instructions. I see so many recipes out there calling for vinegar. Is this only for flavor and preservative value, or is there a greater purpose invovled? New guy question, but I saw nothing of the sort in the recipe here, and don't always like vinegars and acidic sauces.

Basically, I have a nice mash ready to process, but am not sure if I should add vinegar after I boil/simmer/strain/simmer.

Greetings blackgumbo,
Fermentation in itself is probably one of the oldest preservation methods....and the end result offers significant beneficial heath qualities if not heated(as in a cooking process). I differ from some of others in THP fermenting group, as I very seldom cook my fermented pepper sauces or mashes.....except when  I am pressure canning a blended sauce or mash for shelf safe storage at room temp.. The lactic acid created through my fermentation process normally results is a pH low enough so that I just use the uncooked mash as an additive. If the completed ferment is moved to the refrigerator for storage, it will continue to ferment VERY slowly allowing a meld/blending as it ages into a unique complex flavor. I have mashes that have been "aging" in the fridge for several years and IMO is exceptional.
However, there is the required  space in the fridge for ongoing-long term storage.
CM 

Hi, as gumbo asked can/is vinegar used for flavor? Someone once said every hot sauce in the supermarket has vinegar. Also, how much whey looked like a quart of whole milk yogurt in the original post? Also, once bands are on how long will it last on shelf if all procedures used in orig post up to turning whoozy upside down? Can I cut the 3.6% pickling salt if using whey? How much? Thanks RM and CM and others.

The fermentation increases the shelf life significantly but by how much who knows.  I have many friends that still have bottles my hot sauce I made in their fridge for several years.  I ask them to swap for a new bottle if it has been longer than 2 years to be safe but the sauce looks and taste just fine.  I add some vinegar but it is such a small amount it is near the bottom of the ingredients list.  Add fresh squeezed citrus like limes, clementine, and lemon instead of vinegar for better flavors in your sauce.

Back