• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Posted this questions in another section of the forum, but essentially, do jars with fermenting pepper mash need to be in the dark, or is basic room lighting (not direct sunlight) OK?

I've always heard complete darkness is optimal. If it comes down to you not having enough space in a cabinet or something, leave it on the counter and throw a dish towel or T-shirt over it, maybe?

Does the mash need to be started all together or can it be added to as more pods become available?

If i did a mash that was able to be added to, would i also add the other ingredients (garlic, onion, carrot, tomato and basil etc) in increments or would i start off with the full quantity required and only add extra peppers?

Every time you open a fermenting mash is another chance of infection. I don't open mine at all anymore until its time to process it. After that it goes in the fridge for more aging.

Thanks. Neighbour gifted me some bhuts so i now have enough peppers to get the mash going without needing to continually open.

Will run with 8 bhuts, 4 habs, 2 fitali, 3 large bells, 4 large tomatoes, 4 garlic cloves and a bunch of carrots. Should i add some peppercorns?

ColdSmoke said:
I need a quick reminder: A 3% salt solution is 3% of the weight of the peppers or the weight of water for the solution?
If you want to know the final salt %, you need to take into account the weight of the peppers/veggies/any other solids AND all the liquid. You cannot just use one or the other. 

Weather temps have got quite high the last 2 days so i now have kahm. Do i remove it now (7 days in to ferment) or wait for ferment to stop then remove it before processing and cooking?

If i leave it in there should i put the ferment in the fridge or leave it out. Temp is staying high for another week at least.

Swamptrout said:
Weather temps have got quite high the last 2 days so i now have kahm. Do i remove it now (7 days in to ferment) or wait for ferment to stop then remove it before processing and cooking?

If i leave it in there should i put the ferment in the fridge or leave it out. Temp is staying high for another week at least.
I would remove now...make sure you get all of it and then let it finish fermenting.

Hi everyone Im new to the forum

Few questions before I start my first mash
-I have a good amount of peppers in my freezer that I grew this summer(1/2 moruga scorpions and 1/2 habs) some didnt fully ripen by fall and weather was getting cold so I picked them green. Should I do 4 small batches (red scorp, green scorp, red hab, green hab), 2 batches(scorps and habs) or mix them all up?
-can I halve the peppers and leave the other ingredients (carrots, onion, garlic) in large chunks and use my glass puck weights to weigh them down? Is this a bad idea? I have read much of this thread and noticed most people grind it up. I just think it would be easier to weigh down in larger pieces. How would this affect the fermentation time?
-I think whey would be easiest for me but have not read much on here about how to extract it from yogurt, do I just skim some of the watery stuff off every day or is there a process I dont know about?

I have read about 20 pages of this thread so far and have learned so much and for that Id like to thank everyone who contributed

as far as how you mix them up, that's kind of really up to you. Depends on what kind of flavor you're going for.

As far as  grinding up or leaving them in halves, they will probably ferment quicker being ground up but as long as you have some patience I don't see any problem leaving them halved.

MikeUSMC said:
I've always heard complete darkness is optimal. If it comes down to you not having enough space in a cabinet or something, leave it on the counter and throw a dish towel or T-shirt over it, maybe?
I know a single anecdote might not be really useful, but just in case, I will point out I've been doing my ferment on top of the fridge in a good amount of light 18ish hours out of the day and as far as I can tell, it's fermenting fine. 

YMMV, IMHO, etc....

​Question .

​I have done a few ferments an they have all worked well with just wild cultures , nothing added.
At the moment I have a very good ferment going and I want to know.
​How do I save the juice of this ferment to kickstart my next ferment?
​For a week, a month , a year?

karoo said:
​Question .

​I have done a few ferments an they have all worked well with just wild cultures , nothing added.
At the moment I have a very good ferment going and I want to know.
​How do I save the juice of this ferment to kickstart my next ferment?
​For a week, a month , a year?

When you pull this current ferment save back a small amount (like maybe 4oz or 120g) and put it in a sealed container in the refrigerator.  Then when you go to start the next ferment, pull the small bit that you saved from the cooler, let it come to room temp and then add it into the new batch.

Thank you, I was just unsure of the fridge , but that does make sense.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Well, I finally finished all 49 pages of terrific information. I had started my first fermentation about 2 weeks before finding this site. I used about 2 lbs. of red jalapenos, 10 Serrano's, and about 5 Habanero, along with 5 cloves of garlic, a little sugar, a little rice wine vinegar (I know better now).  I pureed it all, placed it in a stainless steel bowl, covered it with plastic wrap, and stuck in in a dark drawer in the garage. I was getting some activity, but could only wait 7 days to try it. I forced it all through a strainer to get all the pulp I could, cooked it and tasted it. I felt it needed tweaking, so I added a chunk of yellow rock sugar, some cider vinegar, some fish sauce (for some depth), and rounded it out with some smoked paprika. It was still a little hot, so I cut it with tomato sauce.

It worked out really well, balanced, and full of flavor. It's my wife's new favorite hot sauce, so I need to try and duplicate it, and document all of the quantities this time. 

I have since picked up 1 gallon glass jars, with air locks, and have a 1-1/2 gallons of just red jalapenos and 1-1/2 gallons of just red Thai peppers fermenting. I'm going to leave a gallon of each go for 45 days, as recommended here, and the 1/2 gallons will only go 2 weeks, as I will be needing more sauce.

Awesome. Sounds like a tasty sauce. Can't wait to see what other recipes you come up with!

GRUMPA said:
It's my wife's new favorite hot sauce, so I need to try and duplicate it, and document all of the quantities this time.
.....and don't forget the...
:pics:

We love pics around here ;)

"GRUMPA" :rofl: My wife says that's what our future grandchildren are gonna call me, hahaha

I don’t have much experience fermenting hot sauce, but in all my sauces the heat really mellowed out after fermenting for about a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I am new to fermenting pepper sauce, but have fermented other veggies. I have a sauce going noe with habaneros,ginger ,garlic,onion ,carrots,and lime juice. It is on its 10th day and making lots of bubbles. This is really just to try to approximate a sauce I once bought that had a hint of lime in it that was wonderful. Should I wait much longer to try it before adding lime zest a little at a time to get measurements right?

Back