• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Fermenting Peppers 101

Regarding brine. I have a recipe as follows.
480 gm fruit
300 gm onion
250 gm Peppers
100 gm vinegar
60 gm water

If I want a brine Solution at 3%, that would be 35.7 gms of salt. (1190x3%) Is that right? Do I include all the ingredients including water and vinegar? It seems really salty.

Don't add vinegar.  Vinegar is a preservative and will inhibit the fermentation process.  Remove vinegar from your measurements, then recalculate the salt using weight like you posted.  

If you want to go lighter on the salt, you can add some fresh/active kraut juice, whey, hooch, or other starter.  I like to add a chunk of fresh cabbage (can be removed later when processing) to help kick start the fermentation. 

Good luck and Have Fun!
SL

Conwayhotpeppers said:
Regarding brine. I have a recipe as follows.
480 gm fruit
300 gm onion
250 gm Peppers
100 gm vinegar
60 gm water

If I want a brine Solution at 3%, that would be 35.7 gms of salt. (1190x3%) Is that right? Do I include all the ingredients including water and vinegar? It seems really salty.

like the lady said, don't put vinegar in your ferment. leave the acidity production up to the bacteria.
when fermentation's done, you can further process it if you like (e.g. adding vinegar to taste).

i struggled with salt as well, and i'm not sure that everyone's on the same page.

read this and the following few posts:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/?p=1566458

basically, there are potentially three ways to express salt concentration in recipes, and sometimes people aren't clear about which way they mean when they give general guidelines.

the first way is expressing it as a % of the brine e.g. 3% salt brine could mean 3g salt added to 97g total liquids used in the fermentation (yielding 100g brine).
this is problematic because if you're trying to compare with someone else's recipe, it only really works if you both have the same ratio of 'dry' ingredients to brine.
note that this figure is probably the most important one for food safety. i don't know exactly what it should be, but to inhibit unwanted organisms, the brine probably shouldn't be below about 3%.

another way is expressing it as a % of the veggies ('dry' mash ingredients) e.g. 3% salt could mean 3g salt added to a fermentation containing 100g pepper.

the third (and imo best) way is expressing it as % of net weight e.g. 3% salt could mean 3g salt added to 50g pepper + 47g water (yielding 100g total).
i think this is overall the most useful figure because it gives you the best idea of how salty the ferment will taste in the end. but you still have to make sure your (initial) brine is salty enough to inhibit unwanted organisms, so calculate that too.
note that in this example, the initial brine concentration is 3g salt / (47g water + 3g salt) = 6%, but it would decrease over time as it approaches equilibrium and salt diffuses into the veggies.

That's good point re: salt weight and one I as well have pondered over as well.  I decided to standardize with 3-4% of the veg weight after smoking as my smoking process evaporates a bit of water from the veg.  The water I add varies in proportion to the amount of veg in a 4:1 ratio of veg to water.  

Looking back at one recipe, I had 3682gms of smoked veg. 110gms of salt = 3%.  That salt was added directly to 4 cups of water which = 944gms and that water is then added to the mash.    

sinensis said:

like the lady said, don't put vinegar in your ferment. leave the acidity production up to the bacteria.
when fermentation's done, you can further process it if you like (e.g. adding vinegar to taste).

i struggled with salt as well, and i'm not sure that everyone's on the same page.

read this and the following few posts:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/?p=1566458

basically, there are potentially three ways to express salt concentration in recipes, and sometimes people aren't clear about which way they mean when they give general guidelines.

the first way is expressing it as a % of the brine e.g. 3% salt brine could mean 3g salt added to 97g total liquids used in the fermentation (yielding 100g brine).
this is problematic because if you're trying to compare with someone else's recipe, it only really works if you both have the same ratio of 'dry' ingredients to brine.
note that this figure is probably the most important one for food safety. i don't know exactly what it should be, but to inhibit unwanted organisms, the brine probably shouldn't be below about 3%.

another way is expressing it as a % of the 'dry' mash ingredients e.g. 3% salt could mean 3g salt added to a fermentation containing 100g pepper.

the third (and imo best) way is expressing it as % of net weight e.g. 3% salt could mean 3g salt added to 50g pepper + 47g water (yielding 100g total).
i think this is overall the most useful figure because it gives you the best idea of how salty the ferment will taste in the end. but you still have to make sure your (initial) brine is salty enough to inhibit unwanted organisms, so calculate that too.
note that in this example, the initial brine concentration is 3g salt / 47g water = 6.4%, but it would decrease over time as it approaches equilibrium and salt diffuses into the veggies.

What is the general consensus on how to chop peppers/adjuncts for primary fermentation? The first batch(es) I made I roughly chopped each pepper in half before brining. These turned out pretty well.

My second batch I roughly blended before fermentation. I added a light brine to pH 3.5 but it mostly homogenized and didn't really leave a liquid layer at the top after fermentation. I didn't weight either batch.

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180707183732391_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180707183732391_COVER.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1896.jpg
    IMG_1896.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 88
shortsonfire79 said:
What is the general consensus on how to chop peppers/adjuncts for primary fermentation?
I don't think it really matters too much. I've seen people do everything from simply cutting the pods in half to practically puréeing them. Personally, I pulse them in a food processor and aim for a 1/4" chop. That way, they're nice and loose in the brine, and the CO2 bubbles rise to the top easily when I ratchet the jar back and forth. It boils down to personal preference, I'd say

MikeUSMC said:
I don't think it really matters too much. I've seen people do everything from simply cutting the pods in half to practically puréeing them. Personally, I pulse them in a food processor and aim for a 1/4" chop. That way, they're nice and loose in the brine, and the CO2 bubbles rise to the top easily when I ratchet the jar back and forth. It boils down to personal preference, I'd say

Solid info.  I will cut all my pods in half to check for nasties before I process the ingredients all the way down to a puree en route to fermenting.  It saves me from having to process them much further once the ferment is finished, but its purely personal preference. 

My first step in making sauce is smoking, so everything is poked or cut in half or smashed to allow more smoke inside as intact pods garlic cloves etc don't get as smokey.  I'm usually using thai chilies which are smallish so 1/2 is ok.  When the rare jalapeños come in, those can be cut in thirds or lengthwise.  

Then I blend everything in the blender as there is garlic and shallots in there and I want a homogenous mix as well as start to break down everything.  

This is is all thrown in a big steel bowl and the salt water is added, mixed and then put in fermenting jars.
30 days later I run it all through the blender again as everything is softer now, THEN the food mill.  

The 2nd blending is imperative to getting a thick sauce at least in my experience and kitchen.  It also breaks some of the seeds down too which one can remove with a sieve after the food mill...or not.  You can see them in the bottle.  Jury is out on whether folks like this or not but it did seem to raise the heat level.

IMG8126web.jpg

Whether you use a sieve or not after the food mill, the sauce consistency is like this.  Yep, those are anchovies on my veggie pizza.  :party:

IMG3281pizzaweb.jpg

Good to know.  My Sugar Rush Peach are ripe.

I've been harvesting all my other peppers and freezing them, but I haven't harvested any Sugar Rush because I wasn't sure what to do with them.

My mash isn't fermenting (I used a yeast starter, and I know it was activated). It still smells fine, but it's been four days with minimal bubbling compared to my previous Wild Fermentation that was aggressively bubbling by day 2. Should I just add some more dry-yeast to the jars (I need a couple), or remove all the mash into sterilzed pot and add some more that way?

Pharthan said:
.....it's been four days....... Should I just add some more dry-yeast...... 
Patience, grasshopper ;)

4 days is next to nothing. I've had ferments literally "sit there" for 3-4 WEEKS without any signs that anything was happening, then take off like a bat outta Hell, out of nowhere. Let it do its thing. Every time you open that jar, you risk introducing bad bacteria

Okay,

I've read, and read, and believe I'm ready to try my first ferment!  There are a couple of questions I can't find the answer to:

1. If I'm using whey as a starter, whats the ratio to use?
  2. Will a sauce made from a ferment retain any more color than one made by cooking down raw ingredients?

Thanks!  And, I apologize in advance if I missed the answers..... :confused:

The whey starter depends on how strong yours is, I do Kefir and use that, its nice and srong and I know its live.
I found fermenting enhances the color, if it goes off a bit as in oxygenated then it can take on a brown color I found.

dragonsfire said:
The whey starter depends on how strong yours is, I do Kefir and use that, its nice and srong and I know its live.
I found fermenting enhances the color, if it goes off a bit as in oxygenated then it can take on a brown color I found.

Thank you for your input!  Whey from strained yogurt (LIVE cultures without any thickeners or modifiers) is what I'll be using.  By "enhanced,"  I assume you mean it helps retain, as opposed to intensify, the fresh color?

Actually intensify.
I do about 1/2 culture when I do a ferment, I also add a couple tablespoon natural Apple Cider Vinegar, a double dose of cultures.

....Actually here is one that I will be doing again soon, Sriracha, was great. Pics are not up anymore so have to search for them here to replace them.

9 cups filtered water
1/2 cup Kifir whey
1/2 cup ACV
2 tbsp Pink Salt
2 tbsp Org Sugar
1 tbsp Seasoning
130 gr dried Thai Peppers
1/2 bulb Garlic

Back