• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting fermenting Wine and peppers?

Ok newbie here but i just tougth of something...

since i make wine from kits once in a while,
i was thinking of using a part of my fermenting wine to start up the pepper mash for lactobacilius generating step.

anyone tried that?

Maybe a could add more of fermenting wine to give a wine flavor to my sauce !
Any comment on this?

Thnaks guys! every one here is great!

While I've used it to ferment cabbage,I've never tried using wine for fermenting a pepper mash.
And using wine that is currently fermenting as a LAB starter...sounds very interesting indeed.

Here are a couple links to recipes for wine-kraut (one using salt...and one without)that might be helpful in coming up with a recipe for your pepper mash.

http://www.canningpantry.com/sauerkraut-crocks.html

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8162149_make-wine-fermented-sauerkraut.html

One thing I'd strongly recommend,(especially if you don't intend on heat processing the mash) is measuring the pH to ensure it is no higher than 4.0
Please keep us posted on the ingredients you use... the end product and how it tastes.
Good luck.
CM

Good Morning Hammerfall,
Wine in a hot sauce sounds pretty cool to me. I make a couple that are beer based, I'm also a homebrewer. I would be hesitant to add anything that is currently fermenting though. While they do the samy thing of eating the sugars, there is a difference between the lactobacillus and the yeast you use for wine and I'm not sure what would be the results between the two working together. If anything I would add some of the must before you pitch the yeast. That way you get the flavors but allow the bacteria to work it's magic on it but may produce a different flavor than you were thinking it would but it would be interesting to see how it comes out. If your just wanting to some wine flavor then I would suggest that you use a finished wine and add it to the sauce after the cooking and running the sauce through the blender. Perhaps like:

Ferment ingredients, cook, blender, add wine\water\juice to get consistence and taste desired, check and adjust ph, heat to 190 for 15 minutes and bottle.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
RM

Good Morning Hammerfall,
Wine in a hot sauce sounds pretty cool to me. I make a couple that are beer based, I'm also a homebrewer. I would be hesitant to add anything that is currently fermenting though. While they do the samy thing of eating the sugars, there is a difference between the lactobacillus and the yeast you use for wine and I'm not sure what would be the results between the two working together. If anything I would add some of the must before you pitch the yeast. That way you get the flavors but allow the bacteria to work it's magic on it but may produce a different flavor than you were thinking it would but it would be interesting to see how it comes out. If your just wanting to some wine flavor then I would suggest that you use a finished wine and add it to the sauce after the cooking and running the sauce through the blender. Perhaps like:

Ferment ingredients, cook, blender, add wine\water\juice to get consistence and taste desired, check and adjust ph, heat to 190 for 15 minutes and bottle.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
RM

After heating at 190 for 15 mins how long will it keep? Would it seal like when canning using mason jars? And how long does it stay good for?I finally got me a ph meter to start being safer and i do not think i like it. I think i am going to send it back for a few reasons. What it a good ph meter that is affordable

Ph meters are really a personal preference. I got mine from Lowes, gardening department, for about 12 bucks. It is for measuring the ph in soil however I used to bounce it off of the ph paper I was using and it always gave the same reading. It was cheap and works fine. There are a ton of them for sale on ebay at all price ranges. CM your have any preference here?

Assuming that your using woozies, for something like a mason jar use their canning procedures, of whatever size you'll get about 6 month's shelf life BUT, that is also assuming that you properly sanitized your bottles reducers and caps and that your sauce is below 4 ph.

When I bottle my sauces I first run my bottles through the dishwasher using the heated dry which will steam sanitize them just fine. However I also put them into a large pot, I use my brew pot, of water and boil them for 5 minutes to sterilize them. I keep my caps and reducers in a big Pyrex bowl and add some of the boiling water to it. It’s a little over kill but I like to know that no one is going to get sick from my sauces. After you fill the bottle and put the reducer on, if using them and the cap then invert the bottle so that the hot sauce is against the cap for 15 minutes. The hot sauce will sterilize the cap again. When they’re cool put a PVC shrink cover on them to keep the bottles closed.

Cheers,
RM

Slightly off topic but to some it may be a worthwhile tip...most of my sauces go into the red wine bottles that i and my friends and family have drunk...i leave a little bit of wine in the bottom of the empty ...recap and shake ...voila...as good as a sterilized bottle, waiting to be chili-ized.

Back