• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ferocious leaf curl in Cap frutescens v. malagueta

Among six Cap. frutescens v. malageuta plants started April 14 from same seed lot, I have 1 plant that has developed ferocious leaf curl. Grow conditions identical for all 6 plants: water, feed, light, soil and temperature. Seed was started in ProMix under 6-lamp T5 panel, with three 54w lamps each at 2900K and 6400K. All starts developed vigorous healthy foliage - except for 1: as growth developed leaves started curling, ultimately arriving at condition in images below (curly vs non-curly).

With 6 plants on hand I'll probably just quarantine the pup and see how it develops. It's a vexing problem however - I have another mature plant with same condition (plant was nursery stock, I didn't raise it), and it's flowering and fruit production has always been anemic.

Anyone have any experience with this condition? Is var. malagueta prone to it? Individual plant-specific gene problem? Any insight appreciated.

5866767955_e04111bfb5.jpg

5866768081_afc6d7725d.jpg

5866768185_80046d1b3e.jpg

yes,
i have a malagueta with same or similar
type of slowing and curling
(and brownish purpled discoloration along the veins)
looked somewhat like yours pictured
at the moment the recent hotter weather and my spraying
with neem and ivory dish soap (and more)

i also have new growth from the lower nodes and because it looks
healthier, have removed all the bad looking leaves now

it may be a bacterial or viral involved here and i think it
vectored in with some aphids or thrip things (not sure)
:eek:
strategy also has been to spray with some silver colloid, foliar feeds with
botanicare and cal carb, tomato tone on the top dress

it seems now mine may be turning to reasonable health and growth
but the jury is still out. :lol:

i hope you get a complete recovery to a healthy grow

notice this stuff seems pretty contagious and have similar spread to pubes,
eggplant and maybe a tomato. if you can isolate the "infected" ones it may be wise

I always wrote them off as just a bad seed. I start enough of a type expecting to lose a few along the way. A lot of the times in my gardens only the strong survive.

Back