• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fertility Issues

I started a couple trinidad scorpion plants back at the beginning of November. Their growth has been great and they're currently in 3 gallon bags. The yellow TS has been flowering up a storm, but the T8 bulbs aren't strong enough to set fruit. I'm not worried about it, I just want the plant to keep branching out so I can get a nice yield when May gets here. The red scorpion is a different story. I put it into my grow box and didn't get a fan on it for awhile. It started getting some yellow leaves with brown spots and started dropping leaves after the first few flowers opened up. None of those flowers set fruit and the leaf drop got worse. I started putting a fan on the grow box for an hour or two in the morning and at night and the new growth looked healthy. I recently moved the plant out of the grow box and into a bay windowsill to make room for more seedlings (its grown from hobby to compulsion). After the first few flowers dropped the plant hasn't produced another bud. I was curious as to whether anyone knows why this is. It was getting plenty of light in the grow box (2 105 W CFL's and 1 100W incandescent for added heat) so I don't think that was the issue. If the stagnant air resulted in some sort of virus, would that completely inhibit bud/flower formation? I've seen lots of issues with blossom drop, but none with complete absence of bud formation. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

How often were you feeding it? It could have been something in your soil prob a lack of something the plant needed such as depleted nutes? I would do a ph test and test the soil as well. If it can be potted up you might want to try that, and make sure it is getting very good light. Other then that I dont know what to tell you. it just sounds like a lack of nutes in the soil to me

The soil should have been in the right pH zone. It is a mix of mushroom compost and potting mix. The mushroom compost is a little 'hot' but overall it should have been about 6.5. The tapwater I use has a pH of 6.0 (I don't drink it as it's probably lethal), but that mixed with the soil is in the pH range that peppers like. I was feeding the plant with a fertilizer that claims to have all trace elements with 100% of the nitrogen available (not urea based) once every other week. It was right under a pair of 105 W CFL's that put out about 7200 lumens each, so it had plenty of light. The only thing I could think of was that the lack of air for the first few weeks caused major internal damage, be it bacterial, viral, or fungal.

The soil should have been in the right pH zone. It is a mix of mushroom compost and potting mix. The mushroom compost is a little 'hot' but overall it should have been about 6.5. The tapwater I use has a pH of 6.0 (I don't drink it as it's probably lethal), but that mixed with the soil is in the pH range that peppers like. I was feeding the plant with a fertilizer that claims to have all trace elements with 100% of the nitrogen available (not urea based) once every other week. It was right under a pair of 105 W CFL's that put out about 7200 lumens each, so it had plenty of light. The only thing I could think of was that the lack of air for the first few weeks caused major internal damage, be it bacterial, viral, or fungal.

Ya, it could be fungal, the plants always need good air on them other wise it can lead to fungal growth, you may need to get rid of as much of the soil as possible and pot up. or you can just put it back under the lights instead of a window and hit it the fan. I run both of my fans for 13 hrs a day when the light is on

the brown spot might be too much fert, crank up some heat use the right bulb and stay them under light 2 complete day on and one night off to give them a boost.
and keep the soil not too wet and not to dry you should reverse the bad curse ;)

Back