• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Fertilizer question. Is tomato fertilizer any good?

Just make sure your soil is "living" if you use organics. Good compost adds life to the soil....

Ya Im still not sure what my potting soil recipe will be but im sure come compost will be part of the equation. Its funny how everyone thinks you just throw seeds into the ground and get vegetables. Yet there is so much more to it than that.

It is not a matter of getting vegetables, But more about yield per square foot and the nutritional value of the crop. . You can be a pro for your first grow if you follow the lead of another experienced one.

When you grow in containers using no soil (potting mix) it is hydroponics.

Keep it simple. Pay for good potting mix, get water solube in-organic fertilizer, gypsum, epsom salts. Then you would be covered. I just picked up some MaxiBloom from general hydroponics, it is really all you need.

It is not a matter of getting vegetables, But more about yield per square foot and the nutritional value of the crop. I have followed many pro growers advice simpley because I am not a know it all :cool: , after following advice about air porosity of a potting mix, and the use of the right fertilizers, I have become a pro. You can be a pro for your first grow if you follow the lead of another experienced one.

When you grow in containers using no soil (potting mix) it is hydroponics.

Keep it simple. Pay for good potting mix, get water solube in-organic fertilizer, gypsum, epsom salts. Then you would be covered. I just picked up some MaxiBloom from general hydroponics, it is really all you need.

Ya i agree it takes time to become a pro with something like this. And much of the learning is done through trail and error. I am thinking about using a compost/composted cedar bark/soil or peat type of mix for now. Here in Canada our selection of products is much smaller unfortunately when it comes to growing. All we have is a ton of miracle gro products and maybe 2-3 other brands scattered throughout a few other stores

Miracle gro is all you need to grow a great crop. I use both their potting mix and their water soluble fertilizer. I would really suggest using them. Those that say miracle is "bad" for your plant do not understand plant nutrition :cool:.

Get miracle gro potting mix and cut it with perlite and call it a day. It is what I do.

"Ya i agree it takes time to become a pro with something like this. And much of the learning is done through trail and error"

I have seen first year growers outgrow gardeners that have been growing for decades. :cool:

Miracle gro is all you need to grow a great crop. I use both their potting mix and their water soluble fertilizer. I would really suggest using them. Those that say miracle is "bad" for your plant do not understand plant nutrition :cool:.

Get miracle gro potting mix and cut it with perlite and call it a day. It is what I do.

"Ya i agree it takes time to become a pro with something like this. And much of the learning is done through trail and error"

I can not agree. Again, I have seen first year growers outgrow gardeners that have been growing for decades.

Then when you master potting mix you can step up to hydroponics. Like coco or 100% pine bark. :cool:

Im going to buy some pine bark for my garden so ill try some of it on my left over plants in containers. Ive read about the 5-1-1 mix and it seems interesting. Miracle gro is a good option since it has a lot of nutrients preloaded in the soil thought the downside is its high cost. I might have 30-40 potted pepper plants so I will try a couple different options to see what works well in this climate.

You have 30-40, try for promix? If you casn not find it, get a 3 cuft bale of peat, perlite, lime (5 bucks for a 40 lb bag at HD or lowes). Then mix up 10 gal of peat in a contractor bag with 2 tbsp of lime per gal and some water (3 gal should do it). Wait 2 weeks you will have really cheap and effective grow medium. From there I would add worm casting or some quality compost fit for containers. Do not add much compost, maybe 5% of the whole mix. You just want a good buffer from the castings thats all.

So after you mix that mix up just add a few handfulls of worm castings, it will be easier to grow in then just peat. The biggest tip is never feed above 30% recomended on fertilizer and water when your potts are so light you can pick them up like nothing. You are better off letting your plant wilt, and then water.

Well, hope this helped.

BTW: I use the 5-1-1 but no peatmoss, it is a great mix.

You have 30-40, try for promix? If you casn not find it, get a 3 cuft bale of peat, perlite, lime (5 bucks for a 40 lb bag at HD or lowes). Then mix up 10 gal of peat in a contractor bag with 2 tbsp of lime per gal and some water (3 gal should do it). Wait 2 weeks you will have really cheap and effective grow medium. From there I would add worm casting or some quality compost fit for containers. Do not add much compost, maybe 5% of the whole mix. You just want a good buffer from the castings thats all.

So after you mix that mix up just add a few handfulls of worm castings, it will be easier to grow in then just peat. The biggest tip is never feed above 30% recomended on fertilizer and water when your potts are so light you can pick them up like nothing. You are better off letting your plant wilt, and then water.

Well, hope this helped.

BTW: I use the 5-1-1 but no peatmoss, it is a great mix.

Ya Promix BX is one of my main options. It is quite cheap here. 27 bucks for a large bail of it. I emailed a few companies local to me about worm castings. Are these good enough to replace using cattle manure/chicken manure? I heard about mixing Promix BX with Perlite and other additives. Is this the best option or should I get something like this http://www.rona.ca/shop/~soil-potting-soil-pro-mix-63997_horticulture_shop

Ya Promix BX is one of my main options. It is quite cheap here. 27 bucks for a large bail of it. I emailed a few companies local to me about worm castings. Are these good enough to replace using cattle manure/chicken manure? I heard about mixing Promix BX with Perlite and other additives. Is this the best option or should I get something like this http://www.rona.ca/s...rticulture_shop

That isn't much different than the BX. It doesn't have the mycorrhizae or biofungicide, but other than that the composition is pretty much the same. Maybe not quite as much perlite, I just finished using some of it. It's a good potting mix but if you can get BX for about the same price I would just get the BX. How much does that cost there? It's almost exactly the same price as the BX here per cubic ft., the only reason I'm using it over the BX is because I have to drive 60 miles to get the BX.

For me the potting type is 18.00 for 2 cu ft and bx is 26 for 3.8 feet. I noticed BX contains vermiculite which has been linked to asbestos. I wonder if perhaps the PROMIX HP would be better suited.

You say you have little soil selection? 26 for 3.8 cuft!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it!!!! :cool:

"I wonder if perhaps the PROMIX HP would be better suited."

I would only get HP, the perlite you get in it is a deal itself.

You say you have little soil selection? 26 for 3.8 cuft!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it!!!! :cool:

"I wonder if perhaps the PROMIX HP would be better suited."

I would only get HP, the perlite you get in it is a deal itself.

Since it already has the perlite does it need anything else to make a complete growing medium outside of adding worm castings?

No not at all. Like I said you do not need the casings, even any compost that is fit for a container will work. It is only to make it more like a potting mix and give you that buffer. I do use a hydro-organic fertilzer so it is not like I am against organics. It is just too much to get every micro/macro nutrient. Your compost will be all the organics you should need.

No not at all. Like I said you do not need the casings, even any compost that is fit for a container will work. It is only to make it more like a potting mix and give you that buffer. I do use a hydro-organic fertilzer so it is not like I am against organics. It is just too much to get every micro/macro nutrient. Your compost will be all the organics you should need.

Sounds like a simple growing recipe. Ill give it a try this year and see how it goes. Promix HP + compost. Would composted cedar pine bark help at all with air flow?

I can not say. With that said you should stay with compst like, mushroom compost, poultry manure composted, ect... Because it is HP you do not need more air flow. The little compost you add will help with water retention, which is good for outdoors. What compost you get is very important, it has to be very high quality and very well composted. I would use composted forest product but not composted cedar

I can not say. With that said you should stay with compst like, mushroom compost, poultry manure composted, ect... Because it is HP you do not need more air flow. The little compost you add will help with water retention, which is good for outdoors. What compost you get is very important, it has to be very high quality and very well composted. I would use composted forest product but not composted cedar

Seems both mushroom and poultry compost are near impossible to find around here. Is there any other type that fits the bill?

Worm castings maybe.

You do not need compost, it will help. i have grown huge tomatoes in peat/perlite mix and thats it. It is all in the nutrients and watering habits. HP is good to use right out of the bag you do not need to add anything, just fertilize every other watering.

Can someone talk in plain english for lame axes like me that can't follow words like organics vs in-organics or any of that other stuff y'all mentioned. :) I mean I just figured out what the three sets of numbers ment (4-6-8). :crazy: I understand that not too many people are doing the exact same thing thus no one is going to say "Go to the store, pick up this, this, and this. Mix ratio 4,2,1 and add water and plant. Then once a week add this and this at this ratio." I guess though if it were easy to follow more people would do it, but a little english would be great. Anyways, I figured i'd ask anyways. :lol:
Aaron

So I noticed this item the other day and it occured to me it might be better than the 6-12-12 formula. Any ideas? http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/Garden-Care/Fertilizers/PRD~0592257P/CIL+Garden+Food+5-10-15.jsp?locale=en

I noticed BX contains vermiculite which has been linked to asbestos.

Don`t see that as a problem as long as your not in to snorting potting mix?

anim_coke.gif

Mezo.

Back