• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizer

I think it is about time to start fertilizing. First a little background info though. Pretty much everything I started from seed in March I believe using peat pots and jiffy mix. In May or June I transplanted everything into 5 gallon buckets. I drilled 8-10 1/2" holes around the bottom of the buckets and filled the first few inches with rocks. I filled the rest with Miracle Grow potting soil. Most of them got the moisture control miracle grow but some got the plain 6 month fertilizer miracle grow. Come to find out I should have probably not used that but it is a little too late now.

I have a hard time believing that it was really 6 months worth of fertilizer, especially in buckets, and think that it is probably about time to start adding stuff.

What should I be adding and how and when?

Thanks.

Oh and here is my first ever harvest. Meager but this is my first time ever growing anything so I am happy and hope to have tons more soon.

2011-08-16160234.jpg

not a bad looking spread man.

And a question. Why do you say you should not have used the miracle grow? Both of them or just the 6 month fert stuff?
i ask because i just bought some of that 6 month stuff and was planning on repotting a couple plants into it.

Sorry i could not be of more help but there are some good people on here that i am sure will help

The reason it's not good to use is you have zero control on how much fertilizer and the amount your plant is getting at any given time. Yes you can use it and it will work, but you will read about horror stories where a guy lost 100+ plants because of MG soil.

If I were you I would get some good soil (if you don't want to make it yourself get promix bx or fox farms ocean forest) and replant them in that and then go with a 2-4-4 liquid fert every other week.

If it wasn't damn near the end of our season I would probably do that but if it really worth the effort at this point? I now know better for next year though.

If it wasn't damn near the end of our season I would probably do that but if it really worth the effort at this point? I now know better for next year though.

No, it's not worth the effort IMO. The MG soil comes with timed release fertilizer and I doubt you need anything more for the rest of this year. Just don't water them too much and you can get decent results. Let the pots get light and the plants wilt a little before you add water. MG does a good job of holding water so it's easy to over water which hurts your yield. Next year, use better soil and quality fertilizer (Tomato Tone works great and is easy) for better results. Nice 1st crop.

I use Lambert 3M potting mix and ProGro fertilizer. My superhots are smoking especially after I installed a new irrigation system.

When you get a chance checkout my profile and click the about me tab, more pics to follow!!

I will start researching the liquid fertilizers for next season to use with my irrigation system…taking a page from SS. I wish ProGro made a liquid fertilizer, has produced a lot of pods for me.

Hey, Dataz, congrats on the first harvest! If you had an onion, you could make salsa... :cool:

While you're in the mood to learn stuff, next time skip putting those few inches of rocks in the bottom of the pot. It really doesn't help the drainage.

Yea, I'd stay with the hand you were dealt...err...the one you dealt yourself. Don't beat yourself up over it, but good you paying attention to some of the big guns around here. A lot of people do fine with MG, including my wife unit who rocks with with indoor houseplants. Now that I know a little more, I see a few plants with some nute burn at the leaf tips on some of her plants...

You might consider a product like "Liquid Karma." It is basically a kelp/seaweed extract. With a name like that, how could you go wrong? Doesn't have a high NPK, just micro nutes, I guess. A lot of folks use kelp, might be a good way to ride out the season.

One other idea borrowed from Omri on another post. He top dresses with worm castings. (That sounds a bit kinky, eh?) Water it in and you'll get a nice organic boost. At least I think that's what he said, I can't find the post. A bag of that stuff is expensive, though. Worms must have a good union.

Anyway good luck...

No, it's not worth the effort IMO. The MG soil comes with timed release fertilizer and I doubt you need anything more for the rest of this year. Just don't water them too much and you can get decent results. Let the pots get light and the plants wilt a little before you add water. MG does a good job of holding water so it's easy to over water which hurts your yield. Next year, use better soil and quality fertilizer (Tomato Tone works great and is easy) for better results. Nice 1st crop.

I have heard before that it uses up or more accurately rinses away the fert quicker in buckets though. Is that true?

I know that I was over watering at first and have since corrected that. The almost 6" of rain we got in 24 hours a couple days ago and another 2-3 inches since hasn't really helped at all though. :eek:

I use Lambert 3M potting mix and ProGro fertilizer. My superhots are smoking especially after I installed a new irrigation system.

When you get a chance checkout my profile and click the about me tab, more pics to follow!!

I will start researching the liquid fertilizers for next season to use with my irrigation system…taking a page from SS. I wish ProGro made a liquid fertilizer, has produced a lot of pods for me.

Thanks, I will take a look. I am considering getting an irrigation system next year because we will be moving and I will have practically unlimited room to grow stuff. Watering all that myself would really get old quick. If I have the funds I was going to add a fertilizing system to it.

Hey, Dataz, congrats on the first harvest! If you had an onion, you could make salsa... :cool:

While you're in the mood to learn stuff, next time skip putting those few inches of rocks in the bottom of the pot. It really doesn't help the drainage.

Yea, I'd stay with the hand you were dealt...err...the one you dealt yourself. Don't beat yourself up over it, but good you paying attention to some of the big guns around here. A lot of people do fine with MG, including my wife unit who rocks with with indoor houseplants. Now that I know a little more, I see a few plants with some nute burn at the leaf tips on some of her plants...

You might consider a product like "Liquid Karma." It is basically a kelp/seaweed extract. With a name like that, how could you go wrong? Doesn't have a high NPK, just micro nutes, I guess. A lot of folks use kelp, might be a good way to ride out the season.

One other idea borrowed from Omri on another post. He top dresses with worm castings. (That sounds a bit kinky, eh?) Water it in and you'll get a nice organic boost. At least I think that's what he said, I can't find the post. A bag of that stuff is expensive, though. Worms must have a good union.

Anyway good luck...

Thank for the tip on the rocks. I really didn't know what they did but everything I read anywhere said to use them so I did. It made it so I needed less soil anyway. The buckets are heavy as hell though which does suck. Now what am I going to do with 400lbs of river rocks?

I wish I had found this site sooner. I had been reading a bunch of other gardening sites and forums and it was almost impossible to find anything specific to peppers in containers. I have found my new home. :onfire:

I will try and find the liquid karma, thanks. Do you know if it is something that Lowes or Home Depot would carry?

The only reason I am thinking I need something is that some of the plants are hardly producing anything at all and the ones that are, are small. The jalapenos are tiny and I just didn't know if lack of fertilizer was the cause.

Thanks for all the tips

*Thank for the tip on the rocks. I really didn't know what they did but everything I read anywhere said to use them so I did. It made it so I needed less soil anyway. The buckets are heavy as hell though which does suck. Now what am I going to do with 400lbs of river rocks?

**II will try and find the liquid karma, thanks. Do you know if it is something that Lowes or Home Depot would carry?

***The only reason I am thinking I need something is that some of the plants are hardly producing anything at all and the ones that are, are small. The jalapenos are tiny and I just didn't know if lack of fertilizer was the cause.

*400-lbs of rocks! Man, you must have a lot of containers. Post up some pix of the plants you might get more suggestions of how to procede.

**Naw, Liquid Karma (made by Botanicare) probably in hydroponics shops or better garden suppliers or online of course. Same with worm castings, probbly. But you should be able to find a kelp or seaweed product at the big box stores.

***Hope you find your solution. I also use Botanicare "Pro Bloom" and "Cal Mag" but depends on what the plant is doing. Sometimes its best to take a week-long vacation and come back surprised at the growth.... :cool:

I have I think 30 buckets. I am guessing at the 400 lbs but that is close if not actually low. They were 50 pound bags and I made 3 or 4 trips and bought 3 or 4 bags each time.

I will try and get some pictures up but it is very unimpressive but if it would help with suggestions then why not.

I had a feeling it was going to be an online thing but I could always hope, right?

If ya gots a lowes look for jungle growth, they have a nice course mix, but if ya really let it dry out, it's hell to get it re-hydrated...

I had a feeling it was going to be an online thing but I could always hope, right?
Google's your friend! Looks like a hydroponics store in Kennett Square, has a retail outlet. Buds to Blooms Garden Supply They've got a lot of groovy nutes.

Take one of your under-performering container plants for them to look at. (DON'T bring it in the store, though.) These garden shops usually totally kick butt on the big box stores. You can get access to higher quality growing stuff across the board--advice is free and sometimes pretty good.... :cool:

Wow, I never even thought to look for a hydro place around here. Kind of makes sense though in that area. I had just gone on Amazon and looked for the stuff on there. Thanks.

Although I don't think I will be able to take one in there with me without damaging it. There is no way it would fit in my car.

Back