• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fertz After First True Leaves?

Do you fertilize after the first true leaves pop out? Why or why not?

If you have, what was your experience or results?! Quater, Half, or full strength?!

Thanks

i did half strength at week 4ish when most had true leaves. Plant will only uptake what it needs and i'm for sure not overloading it so there is nothing really to risk, only gain.

are they currently in a sterile soilless mix? if so I probably would wait until you see 2 true leaves... Not exactly the day they pop out but when they come in a bit like after a week or so... The first two true leaves will still feed on the cotyledon but after they develop a bit I like the give a 1/4 strength to ferts to give them some help...

I'm growing in coco so it's a bit different. I've been giving my seedlings a diluted solution of around 250ppm since they've been transplanted to coco.

Neil

I usually wait for the first set of true leaves to develop to the point where the second set of true leaves is beginning to form. My reasoning is b/c once the true leaves form, the plant is undergoing photosynthesis, and it needs something from the soil soon. If the plants are in sterile soil starting mix, they need something to keep them going. I used 1/2 strength fish emulsion last year because it is very gentle on the plants and unlikely to burn. But I can't remember how often I fed. Some brands of fish emulsion may have directions for seedlings on the back. I got mine from home depot. 

What is the ppm of your initial water?
If you have been giving them 250ppm of ferts then you already have been feeding them...
What fert are you using?

Back