• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Filius Blue uses

Just wondering how folks use their filius blue peppers. I have 8 of these plants and they are in bloom with dozens of little blue/purplish peppers all over them. I have eaten a few of them already to get a feel for what they are like, but I am thinking that they may be better once they are ripen. I hadn't imagined how bright they are. My wife isn't a fan of peppers but likes the way these show off. 

I will take one tomorrow and post it. They aren't very big and I just put them in 2 gallon pails till I could get more 5 gallon pails for them. If I like them I just might overwinter a couple. 

I had 3 Filius Blue plants last year, and I still have the strongest of the three. They are small, tough plants that thrive even in small pots, but I find the heat and flavor of the peppers to be a bit lacking. Although the ripe red peppers will be spicier than the unripe purple ones, to me the Filius Blue is just an attractive ornamental plant that puts out small, seedy, and somewhat bland peppers. I have yet to find much practical use for the peppers. Maybe they could be used to add some color and visual interest to, for example salsas, pepper relish or in a jar of mixed pickled peppers. But you would probably want to use other peppers as well to add heat and flavor.

Back