Filling many pots cheaply?

Cayennemist said:
 It appears you are right on that one! http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2011/04/your-organic-compost-really-sewage-sludge-rosario-dawson-kellogg-amend

Just replace that one with some other compost that is cheap and not made of manciple humanure...

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of recycling human waste, just on in edible plants. Now if we were talking about urine i may change my stance.

Because who doesn't like a little Prozac in their peppers?

Boom! $50

This is 1.25 yard garden soil blend and .75 yards potting mix. Around 400 gallons worth of soil for $50. This stuff rules too!

200187d1400428561-great-hbt-stogie-thread-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1400428559.766313.jpg

I went the cheap route and mixed my own this year for pot up.

The base material I bought @ Wallmart ruined the whole batch, and I lost a month or 2 of growth.

Re-potted the whole crop in the much hated Miracle grow out of desperation to save the season.

All root bound in 30 days.

Of course, after they all got bushy and close to root bound, I feed them every other watering with a hydro mix of PH perfect Micro, Grow, and Bloom.

Best thing I ever did for my indoor grows was switching to hydro. No more lugging soil or soil pests in the house. Can't help on cheapest soil solution. sounds like some pretty good advice given already. I have to comment on size as well.. I originally was growing all organic n soil with LED's. Switched to hydro. The overall size, growth rate and "fruit" size has doubled easily. 

for my raised beds I looked around on home adviser. Found a guy that delivered 5 yards of garden mix (soil, sand, mushroom compost) for $198

For the blended soil aka "garden soil", I add some organic fertilizer and compost in the areas I plant. It's a great medium: 50% sandy loam, 25% Mushroom Compost, and 25% Garden Mulch.

The potting mix is solid by itself but I will probably feed them organic ferts as well:  55% fine dark fir, 30% Garden Mulch, and 5% each of pumice, sand and Mushroom Compost.

Whether it's in the garden or in containers I'm going to plant using this http://www.xtreme-gardening.com/products/mykos  and tea!

Sometimes it's just about knowing the right people or places to get the stuff for **free**

Free truckload of composted "Presidential" horse manure from Montpelier, home of James Madison

Free truckload of fresh (unfortunately) turkey poop I'm picking up on Saturday also from a farm next to Montpelier...going to have to let it cook over the summer of course and use it next year *shrug*

1000 acre family owned field next to us with 75 head of cattle....free cowpies

I live on 42 acres of mostly deciduous forest -- free free free leaf litter compost and forest humus

I'm also going to be working on building some bat houses in a couple of weeks so I can collect the guano---free

Proud Marine Dad said:
I would not recommend Kellogg Amend as it has biosolids in it but if the grower doesn't mind human waste in their soil have at it. :shocked:
I frequently trade seeds and other items with a local commune that uses composting toilets...they don't seem to have much of an issue with humanure...in fact last summer my friend showed me a big spot full of "volunteer" tomatoes that had sprung up from a place they had dumped the biosolids.

you need to get over this concern about the opinion of others concerning the materials you use in your own garden. I live in a town that is a geographic odditie(two weeks from everywhere). I use non organic potting mixes because that is all that is available to me. I refuse to pay to have bags of dirt shipped to me. I make and use my own compost so perhaps my sins are not too black. More natural products are being mainstreamed every day. Tell the retailers where you live you want natural products.

winston61 said:
you need to get over this concern about the opinion of others concerning the materials you use in your own garden. I live in a town that is a geographic odditie(two weeks from everywhere). I use non organic potting mixes because that is all that is available to me. I refuse to pay to have bags of dirt shipped to me. I make and use my own compost so perhaps my sins are not too black. More natural products are being mainstreamed every day. Tell the retailers where you live you want natural products.

I don't want Fop, goddammit!

Back