smokers Finally, a Smoker I Can Call My Own

The Hot Pepper said:
It looks to be worth around $550-700, but resale would be around $400, $250-300 lightly used, $250 used (a couple years), but if I commissioned somebody who was not a friend, I'd expect to pay $800-1100.

Rajun Gardener said:
I say $400-$500 due to the custom work and real steel that will last longer than the thin stamped stuff.

Here's a cheap model similar for $258. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-36-in-Vertical-Off-Set-Charcoal-Smoker-with-Cover-DGO1176BDC-DC/304909263

The Hot Pepper said:
Since you gave measurements and materials if you paid $250-500 that seems reasonable to get exactly what you want! You may have paid more since the person is billed as an artist and not a laborer. That's all I got!

Walchit said:
Would you take 50? Thats what I would ask if it was on Craigslist lol.

You would probably say "no" so I would say "55?" Just to be a butthead. If your looking for insurance value, I would just slap the 800-1000 on there that boss said!
If your looking to make more and sell them...I have no idea.

Here's why I asked: Before Mike left for Colorado we had a discussion about the modifications (repairs?) that you boys suggested. He claimed it to be worth over $400 as is, meaning no added grates, no coal tray, just exactly as he brought it. To make any profit he'd have had to add a percentage on top of that.

I told him it would be worth that IF he had the coal tray, a real exhaust stack, more grates, thermometer, etc....I pointed out a $400 OK Joe smoker of the same design including all the bells and whistles...though the guage of steel was undoubtedly NOT 1/8".

From your responses it looks like I'll have to call and admit he was right...

400$ is under valued probably as a custom one off. Commercial stuff benefits from the economy of scale for process and best supply prices. Looking at what he normally does his margins would be way better on the custom artistic stuff. With little planning and layout though, he could probably hire and train a summer student to build them if he has excess shop space.

I do believe as a custom job at $400, he was being honest about additional costs for mods, even if they were expected. It could have been brought up earlier if this was just something you took for granted. Very nice smoker, enjoy!

Oklahoma Joe's are cool.

Just imagine you asked someone to build you a compact car from scratch. But then you said, "But the Hyundai Elantra costs...." :P

The Hot Pepper said:
You want to sell it already??? :rofl:

Do you mean, what is it worth to sell? Or is it worth what you paid for, since it was custom?

It's two answers. You pay to restore a 57 Chevy and spend 100 grand, you may be only able to sell it for 50, but it's your dream car and worth it to you.

The Hot Pepper said:
Oklahoma Joe's are cool.

Just imagine you asked someone to build you a compact car from scratch. But then you said, "But the Hyundai Elantra costs...." :P

Hmm...Boss, your repeated comparisons to the auto industry has me a little concerned...You building or restoring, then....? :think:  :think:  :think:

:dance:

OK, I know the database is filthy with opinions on this one, and I've done "some" searching and re-searching, but just to keep this topic fresh, what do you guys recommend fot grates, cast iron, chrome plate wire or stainless?

If I had the do-re-mi I'd get a set of both cast iron and one of the other two, but I don't and I'm kind of a cast iron purist. Still....

This smoker's gonna cook just about anything I can get to fit, and peppers this fall as well....

Stainless will last longer. CI tends to crack and the cheaper chrome plated grates will eventually rust. You can have them custom made using 1/4" round stock and treat them like cast iron, they will season the same or close to it.

Go cheap and use expanded metal, make sure to get the smooth EP. 

Maybe you should've bought a welder first!!! :lol:

Rajun Gardener said:
Stainless will last longer. CI tends to crack and the cheaper chrome plated grates will eventually rust. You can have them custom made using 1/4" round stock and treat them like cast iron, they will season the same or close to it.

Go cheap and use expanded metal, make sure to get the smooth EP. 

Maybe you should've bought a welder first!!! :lol:

Heh heh, I know so many guys with welders of every kind and size, I doan' nee' no steenkeen welder!!

Most will help me out for a spool and a double IPA....

I do like that expanded metal idea, there are just so many options out there.

I also found an excellent method of attaching wheels...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-Carts-400-lb-Steel-Utility-Cart-GOR400/206998666

stettoman said:
OK, I know the database is filthy with opinions on this one, and I've done "some" searching and re-searching, but just to keep this topic fresh, what do you guys recommend fot grates, cast iron, chrome plate wire or stainless?

If I had the do-re-mi I'd get a set of both cast iron and one of the other two, but I don't and I'm kind of a cast iron purist. Still....

This smoker's gonna cook just about anything I can get to fit, and peppers this fall as well....

For a smoker not a grill, stainless! No rust, does all you need it to do, hold stuff. If you cared about fat grill marks and steaks and things, I'd say cast iron, but USA made only, so it does not fall apart.

Mobility managed.

20190715_155814.jpg

OK, ya spends the money when ya gots the money to spend....Just ordered the two chimney items Rajun recommended and a thermometer from CharGriller, and a couple pairs of 7mm SS 17 & 1/2" X 10 & 1/2" grates from amzon (will do expanded metal later on), along with some lengths of angle iron & stainless fasteners to facilitate slide rails. I'll fabricate my own coal tray, +/- $50 for store bought is ridiculous to me.... 

I've ordered a couple pork bellies for the next cook. My butcher loves me...

Methinks I may need a grease tray for the floor, yes? One cookie sheet comin' up!!

Uh, hey Rajun, you sure this is what you had in mind for a smokestack? It seems mighty overpowering, especially compared to the smaller one.

20190725_152519.jpg

The small one will fit perfectly on the 3 inch hole on top, but only opens to half the diameter. The Chargrill site stated NO dimensions, I sure hope this is what I need...

So when you say 4 inches down the side, is that to top of circumference or dead center?

With the shape of your smoker the current chimney is well placed. Horizontal smokers need to worry more, because you want the smoke to be pulled across the meat. You have a vertical smoker with multiple grates and the stack is on top, on the opposite side of the firebox. The smoke will be pulled diagonally through. Perfect path. The smoke will fill the entire chamber, not "Hit the top" and flow out, like what can happen with horizontal. 

THP, we were trying to find a smoke stack he could bolt on and increase flow without cutting it all up. The top stack is too small and it wouldn't draw enough to maintain 250°. With the tall stack it will increase airflow(draw) and if placed below the top the smoker will maintain about 15° more heat than at the top letting it all escape. He'll have to play with it a few times to see what works best but it should work fine.

Eric, I don't think it really matters what side of the smoker you install that on, especially if you use a cookie sheet as a deflector on the bottom shelf.

You don't need a stack for that, a damper would work better. You have the stack on top. You need more output. Damper on the side. Can fully open, close down etc. Secondary precise control.

Lovin' the passion, gents!

Hey, I also ordered a poorly described grill thermometer thinking it would be a door mounted probe-type. I don't think so. It has a hex cap on the back protruding 1/8th", nothing to mount it with, but it has a spring-type clip around the circumference...I assume it's a drop-on-the-grate thermometer...

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/parts/products/charcoal-thermometer#

The reviews have me wondering if there's a mounting kit I don't know about...Or if it's a replacement unit meant to install in an existing bezel....?

Back