• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Finally fixed my computer

After a nasty virus and numerous hard drive crashes, I finally got my computer fixed the way I want it! Seems to be working perfectly now.:lol:

beercomp.jpg

When I was in high school, a friend of mine rerouted the line to the windshield washer through to the dashboard. He put vodka in the reservoir, and if you wanted to fresh your drink, he turned the washer and it squirted the vodka in your cup.

Besides, if you valve it off and use a "T" fitting, you can use the vodka in the winter to de-ice your windshield.

Pam said:
When I was in high school, a friend of mine rerouted the line to the windshield washer through to the dashboard. He put vodka in the reservoir, and if you wanted to fresh your drink, he turned the washer and it squirted the vodka in your cup.

They did that in Trailer Park Boys, only I think they used Julian's beverage of choice, dark rum.

It would be near impossible to convince me to drink something that at one time had chemicals in it though.

AKButch, If you designed that "computer" you should consider marketing. I always see cool things, like the tool box grill or the tool box that is really a mini dorm fridge.

dreamtheatervt said:
They did that in Trailer Park Boys, only I think they used Julian's beverage of choice, dark rum.

It would be near impossible to convince me to drink something that at one time had chemicals in it though.

I was sixteen...who cares at sixteen?

mudatvs said:
AKButch, If you designed that "computer" you should consider marketing. I always see cool things, like the tool box grill or the tool box that is really a mini dorm fridge.

I wish I did make that thing but I just found the pic. I might build one this spring tho since I have a junk tower in the shed taking up space!

You know just after I posted that comment up there my system finally got taken out by a HDD I was fixing.
24 odd hours + A new 500 GB SATA2 drive & a copy of M$ Vista Premium 32 bit & I'm back in business.
It's still not right though, going to take a few more days.

My advice, unless you seriously know what the hell you are doing - choose the beer tap over Vista anyday.

I just don't get what MS was trying to do with Vista. Nothing works with it, nothing is compatible with it (well, it's getting better) and old programs don't work either.

I was really hesitant to even put XP on my machine, but I did. I'm glad I didn't get Vista though...eeesh.

3 days later & its almost stable lol.

Anyone thinking of getting Vista (thats every Windows user in the next year or two) Heres a short run down...

It's hungry,

It idles at around 600 MB of RAM, if you use a few things it gets to 900 easy. So min requirement would be 2 GB RAM.

My 4 GHz chip has peaked out many times, I'd suggest 6 GHz CPU.

Go to web based email...M$ Office Outlook will never run on this.

Be prepared to reinstall a lot of times until you get passed the BSOD

If your HDD is larger than 100 GB, partition it, all kinds of things go wrong with a partition bigger than that.

Every program you download will cause a freeze at install & another at first run. No way around it but a hard re-boot.

My favorite part is anything you try to open, run or change will bring up a window asking you if you really want to do it.

Uninstalling a program or not installing a program does not necessarily mean you will stop getting error messages about it. eg. Vista may decide you have a 'borrowed' version of Frontpage installed even though you dont have it installed at all & stop you from opening the control panel or Vista may decide your Live Messenger is corrupt, uninstalling Live messenger does not stop the error message at every reboot.

BSOD - 7 times

Total format the drive & reinstalls - 8 times

freezes requiring hard reboot - >50

afraid of trying to install any new software - priceless

bentalphanerd said:
My 4 GHz chip has peaked out many times, I'd suggest 6 GHz CPU.
Try replacing your NetBurst with Core. the new sets of commands, multi-threading, smart caching and shared multiple core will do a huge difference. even a 1.8GHz chip will do nicely.
BTW I'm running Vista Ultimate right now on a T2400, and it's working perfectly.

I've been running Vista since Beta. Never EVER had a problem. In fact, it's saved my butt a couple times when I was screwing around with partitioning. Vista repair is awesome.

I have Vista on 3 computers (one 64 bit, two 32). One of the Vista PC's is home-grown, so I installed everything manually (on hardware that isn't "Vista Compatible" no less). The other 2 Vista machines are laptops that came with XP and I upgraded.

The one thing I will say is Vista WILL eat about 1GB of memory. So plan on running at LEAST 2GB. Other than that, I love Vista. I work in IT, so maybe I'm a little more savvy than the average user, but I can say with certainty that the OS is stable. If it's not running well for you, perhaps you should reinstall...

I moved to 2GB way back. I think the first rig was a Northwood. :lol:
Who buys a computer these days with less than a gig? 2GB is what you need to game on XP, so Vista? 4GB is my recommendation. the DDR2 prices are so low it's sad, so go crazy and buy as much as you can.

Back