• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Finally Gettin' around to Jay T's Sybil!

Well, this isn't happening until tomorrow but I thought I'd get the thread going. Back at Peppers at The Beach, Jay T brought me a bottle of his sauce "Sybil." I was honored to get one of these and I promised him I'd do something with it. So, I picked up a rack of St. Louis Ribs, and tomorrow they are going to get the slow smoke treatment in a recipe using the Sybil. I'm siiting here right now and I cracked ope the jar to refresh my taste buds. It's got a warm and deep berry note, very reminiscent of a pie filling. I take a big spoonful, and I can taste that berry/fruit blend (I can't remember what is in it) What I love about this flavor is it is NOT overly sweet, like a fruit based, beryy sauce. But rather it has a country jam type of flavor, floral, earthy, subtly sweet. It reminds me of the the style of recipes I truly enjoy playing around with. The heat comes about 3-5 seconds after the initial flavor, and lingers around the center of the tongue.
THE PLAN: I have a bag of Porcini Powder that I think will translate into a perfect rub to pair up with this sauce, that'll be the foundation for the ribs, they'll smoke for about 4 hours and then the final two hours in foil. I usually baste the sauce of choice, add a drip of honey, and a bit of a liquid, for this it will be a raspberry soda.
I'll keep you all posted on this thread with some pics come tomorrow, just thought I'd throw this teaser out there!

The fruits are blueberry and honeydew melon. There's also sage. Here's the original thread:

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21844-introducing-sybil/page__p__454874__hl__sybil__fromsearch__1#entry454874

Looking forward to your pics Johnny. Sounds delicious.

2mmc006.jpg

bjiko4.jpg

Well here they are, and it came out Killer!! I forgot about the sage in there. I actually used some Fresh Pineapple Sage in the water pan. I'm certain that played off of the flavors in the sauce.
For the rub I used Porcini Powder, Mesquite Salt, Brown Sugar, Thyme, Anise...I smoked the ribs over applewood for 4 hours. I foiled them with a generous helping of Sybil, and a little Raspberry Soda, to help get the vapors going. Another 2 hours. Rested for 30 minutes and BAM. These came out killer, The berries and mushroom came together at the first bite, and then a nice steady heat rolls through. This sauce is a win! As I said before there is something about that rustic "country jam" flavors of the sauce that set it apart. When it comes together with the St. Louis Rib, the heavy smoke, the earthy mushroom. A full spectrum of flavor and heat!

Very nice! :clap: Believe it or not, I thought of you when I came up with the idea for this sauce. It just reminded me of some of the combinations you use. Now to see you use my sauce for a recipe is an honor. Thanks.

Next up is a Fatalii, Peach, and Vidalia onion sauce.

Back