• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Finally some peppers are growing!

It took longer than expected, but I'm finally getting some significant growth on my plants.  I have until towards the end of October before I'd have to bring them indoors, but I think I'm in decent shape for them doing their thing and finishing up outside.  I'm not basing this timeline on personal experience since this is my first year growing, but from what I've read, interpreted, and otherwise surmised from the various posts on the forum.  Here's to having enough time!

This pic was from the morning on my way out the door to work.  Ghost peppers, three on this one node.  They're the furthest along on that plant, but other nodes are blowing up all around them.  Other plants are all spitting out pods now too.

PqFdPtj.jpg

M

I remember my first year growing ghost peppers as very disappointing,small, low productive plants.  Nothing nearly as nice as what you shared.  You should be proud of your efforts.  Ghost peppers and other super hots are essentially tropical creatures.  Yes, they did migrate but their dna still tends to want a very long season.  I am sure you will have plenty ready before frost, but if you bring them inside you will have even more.

Also, if you keep them alive over winter, even if trimmed back to almost nothing, you will have a tremendous start on the spring.  If you have not already, please give a search to the term 'winter over' or 'wintering over'.  With very little effort, you can start spring with a full root system.

Much congratulations. 

Thanks for the thumbs up fellas.  I got caught by the pepper growing bug, hook, line, and sinker and it definitely feels awesome to see those peppers growing.  This forum has been absolutely awesome for learning, having my noob questions answered, and everybody is positive and supportive.  So thanks for that, happy to be part of this community :)

M

Looks good! Here's hoping your weather says fairly normal.

Here in Hell Aridzona, the monsoon has peaked, temperatures have dropped, and my overwintered supers are JUST NOW starting to flower!
The Baccatum and Annuum varieties have been going fairly well for some while, but other than one Fatalii, the half-dozen Chinense plants have done nothing (other than grow a bit bigger, which is cool) this year.  First frost is usually around Thanksgiving, so there's plenty of time. Anyone care for Brainstrain Mashed Potatoes with your turkey?  ;)

Geonerd said:

2nd year.  Still don't have a clue what I'm doing.  ;)

Lol awesome.  Feel like I've learned an enormous amount during my first year and still only about 10% of what I need to know :)

We'll get there.  Hope your harvest comes in huge!

M

To be honest my ghost peppers were my most productive plant and i have a pretty short season here in central new york( conpared to a lot of californians on this forum lol) .They got the biggest and produced the most besides those little dragon cayennes of course. I Dont know if it makes a difference but the ghosts I have turn to a very deep orange. If you want any seeds just let me know.

Back