fire pit conversion

Aye, damper, now there's the rub, eh?

That's one thing these brick pits aren't equipped with, and the fires burn fast and hot. I suppose a sheet metal wrap on the outside set up to adjust airflow would be easy enough, but it'd look like henshit just about any way ya do it....

Thanks HP, you saved a lot of low, irritating wind from blowing across this thread.....but it is true, and I do know it....all you really need is a pair of crafty adolescent grandchildren....

So here is the update and I will make some pizza on it this afternoon. I picked up a Weber handle at ace hardware and some brackets
to fasten it to the fire pit I'm using for a dome lid. Also I'm using a heavy duty tomato cage I cut to 18 inches as my stand for the 22.5 inch Weber grill grate and on that will be my round cast iron pizza stone by Lodge for the pies. Wish me luck :)

Depending how long the pizzas take to bake I may have to adjust/ cut the height of the tomato cage stand. I'm guessing that would be my only mod besides an adjustable vent / chimney for the lid. I'll see how it goes first before making any changes.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 100
  • pit1.JPG
    pit1.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 100
stettoman said:
" get it under 5 minutes."

For why? If you're getting a perfect pizza in 7-8, are those 2-3 extra minutes detrimental to success?
I know its just those "real" pizza ovens do it in 2-3 minutes lol. 

I made 8 pizza's on my kamado grill on Saturday night and those were under 5 minutes but I cracked my pizza stone hence I used my CI pizza stone on my fire pit on Sunday. 

So instead of getting another pizza stone replacement I'm going to get some clay bricks to use on the kamado and those will not crack. 

Back