• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests First aphids, now ants - what to do

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Why not just get the ladybugs and leave the ants alone? Why all this ant bashing?  :P

Because. Ants must live somewhere else or die, dammit. They are like cockroaches. Please tell me you wouldn't let the cockroaches hang out if you had em?  :lol:

backyardpepper said:
If the ants are farming the aphids they will attack the ladybugs once they get close to the aphids which will result in either having all your lady bugs die or fly away.

I've never seen that happen. The ants on my plants always just seem to go elsewhere when the aphids are gone.

hogleg said:

Because. Ants must live somewhere else or die, dammit. They are like cockroaches. Please tell me you wouldn't let the cockroaches hang out if you had em?  :lol:

Ants are welcome in my garden. Cockroaches can suck my dick, however. Those dirty bastards spread disease. 

OK, so maybe I don't want them to suck my dick...

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I've never seen that happen. The ants on my plants always just seem to go elsewhere when the aphids are gone.

Ants are welcome in my garden. Cockroaches can suck my dick, however. Those dirty bastards spread disease. 

You haven't? Huh weird.. Maybe I have some territorial ants or something.

And about the cockroaches... Here in Fl we have cockroaches everywhere. When I say everywhere I mean EVERYWHERE!! In the oven, in the sink, in the fridge, in the couches, under the carpet, in the garage, in ever single room. They are now immune to the stuff we use to get rid of them.. we started using bugbombs and that doesn't kill them. Once we find something that kills them, a year later they are immune to it. During that 1 year they aren't inside, they are in every single plant, tree, and hole in the ground. You have no idea how much I hate these little bastards.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

My neighbor has a pool and all it does is attract roaches... I spray my entire house parameter with TaletarPro and those roaches are dead. I get 4 weeks of protection per spraying. I killed off the colony that had built up before we moved in. They took roughly a year with rigorous spraying. Fuck those roaches man... They are harder to get rid of than aids..

CelticFarmer said:
My neighbor has a pool and all it does is attract roaches... I spray my entire house parameter with TaletarPro and those roaches are dead. I get 4 weeks of protection per spraying. I killed off the colony that had built up before we moved in. They took roughly a year with rigorous spraying. f**k those roaches man... They are harder to get rid of than aids..
What surprises me is the fact that they want to get inside so bad... Even if the house is sparkling and there isn't even a spec of food anywhere inside, they still want to get inside.

backyardpepper said:
What surprises me is the fact that they want to get inside so bad... Even if the house is sparkling and there isn't even a spec of food anywhere inside, they still want to get inside.
I think it's the heat index here. It's quite warm and those damn roaches will cook out here. Sadly, they have them inside. I offered to spray indoors but their "organic" lifestyle people and talstar a too toxic for them. In fact, a year ago they complained about dead roaches on their property.

CelticFarmer said:
I think it's the heat index here. It's quite warm and those damn roaches will cook out here. Sadly, they have them inside. I offered to spray indoors but their "organic" lifestyle people and talstar a too toxic for them. In fact, a year ago they complained about dead roaches on their property.

They complained about dead roaches? I'd be leaping with joy!

My garden ate all the ants I had sneaking around. And the ladybugs, and whatever else goes near there. It can be a problem with aphids because of that.

cruzzfish said:
My garden ate all the ants I had sneaking around. And the ladybugs, and whatever else goes near there. It can be a problem with aphids because of that.

Your garden doesn't eat aphids?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

What does? Your garden? You're not making any sense.
Aphids don't go for flowers, which is how carnivorous plants lure things in. The aphids bypass the whole fake flower/trap mechanism and just punch a hole in the outside of the leaf. This makes it very unlikely for a carnivorous plant to eat them.

....earlier I had a problem with the nefarious "Fire Ants"  we have down here going to town with the Aphids that were on my plants. Showed them to one of my fishing buddies that lives down the street. He used to work at Moody Gardens in Galveston and they had a similar problem with the ants eating on the eggs that had been laid by the butterflies they have in there.
   They got some petroleum jelly and applied it to the stalks of the plants that the butterlies were laying eggs on and found out that the fire ants couldn't get past the jelly. I tried the same thing here with my plants and problem solved. The lady bugs have taken care of the Aphids.

Problem solved!!

So I got some plant bug spray at home depot a couple days ago. It is a Neem Oil based spray that says it gets aphids among other things. It says to spray in the mornings or evenings but doesn't say how often. I gave my plants a good spraying yesterday but skipped today since I have a few pods that are almost ripe. It says you can spray up to 2 days before harvest. My question is, how often should you/can you spray without hurting the plant?

Back