• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting first attempt fermenting

ok so after wanting to make a fermented hot sauce for the longest time and reading tons of recipes ive decided to give it a go- i weighed the stemmed ghosts (120g), added a few cloves of garlic, some carrot, onion, and peppercorns.. i added 3g celtic sea salt and bottled water- stuffed a couple lettuce leaves on top to keep them submerged- so far it seems to be going well, the level has risen telling me that its somewhat started (today is day 4)- im using an airlock and a small stainless cup thats against the lid to keep things down. id like to give it a good stir since i can see where the bottom is trying to float, but dont want to introduce oxygen- i could pull the airlock,plug the hole and kind of swish it around but im afraid that the lettuce will become dislodged letting the mash get to the surface. (sorry if im rambling but i know details help) -now assuming things work as planned, im not sure what to cut the brine with- ive read white vinegar or apple cider vinegar- ive also seen recipes calling for white wine- so im planning to split it into thirds and try each. any thoughts or suggestions? again this is my first batch so im really not sure

Welcome FITH!!

You're off to a great start.  My advice:  

1. Might be low on salt - 3 grams in 200+ grams of mash isn't much at all.
2. Love the cup holding things down - I will use a small jelly jar to do the exact same thing when batches are lower volume than expected.
3. Don't worry about stirring - if you've got the good thing going it will take care of itself.

THP would dig seeing some pics of your progress, and I'm especially interested in seeing how things go if/when you split into thirds for the final processing.  Please update when you get things finished!

thanks! i was wondering about the salt level, the recipe called for 2-3% of the peppers but didnt mention including any other veggies- i forgot to mention i used a whey starter as well- im trying to figure out how to post pictures from my phone (thats where they all are) but im not sure how :/ thinking i might have to get on the computer to do that- one more thing, is fermenting basically the same as pickling? they seem aweful close, i dont know if theres a difference
first batch ever

Matt,

I am about to embark on the same journey for the first time like you, as my peppers fully ripen in a day or two.  This week I am getting the materials assembled, S-Airlock, bungs, jars, recipe, etc.  

Thanks for posting and good going so far!!  I say -- Let it ride!  

Jim

question.. once fermentation has fully kicked off will it bubble a lot? i dont know how much activity to expect in there..i know that with my salt level being a little on the low side it might take a while longer, i just want to visually know things are going properly- thanks again. oh and thats a quart and a half size jar- i ordered the perfect pickler kit for the information and salt, came with the airlock and lid but i have the materials to make 4 more lids w/airlocks
paint stripper has many uses too nova!

The paint stripper is a powder ferment. I don't even know if it will work lol

I started another one tonight. But with fresh red habs.
I would not expect a lot of bubbling, maybe a burp every half hour or so on your rig. But that is from beer brewing experience.

Do not go into vegetable fermentation expecting anything near the amount of activity that you normally see in brewing - esp brewing beer.  Pepper mash might burp once or twice a day - or week - and still be fine.  Some batches I've had weren't 'active' until a couple weeks after being put up.  So long as you don't see any mold or growth it should be good.

today (i started it saturday evening) the water level is up a little more and the lettuce is fully submerged, i can see pockets of gas along the sides and when i picked it up, some bubbles made their way to the top! thinking its working as planned
JPMQVrm.jpg

thanks- im still a little nervous because this is my first batch ever (fermented or not)- im wondering..have seen people keep them at room temp for months, but also people transfer them into the fridge after initial ferment- what are the pros and cons? i was planning to let this one go at room temp for approx 2 1/2 months- then blend and strain and add (splitting into 3 batches) white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and white wine to compare. im also going to start another batch with carolina reapers and some dried cayan and habaneros- havent worked with dried peppers before though so im not sure what to do

Greetings fire in the hole....Laissez les bons temps rouler !

From what I've seen in your pics and read about your set up, ingredients and technique....I believe you are well on the way to a nice result.

As for the length of time ferment at room temp....thats pretty much a personal preference decision....and largely dependant upon what,how and when you ultimately use the completed ferment.
I normally put mine in the fridge after a couple weeks, where it continues to ferment very slowly and the flavors mature. But then I don't normally cook my ferments, but choose to store in the fridge and use as an additive to other sauces and/or in cooked dishes. I have refrigerated ferments that are several years old.
Where as if I plan to cook a fermented mash into a sauce right away, then I like to leave it at room temp for longer than two weeks...in such instances I've left them at room temp for several weeks to several months.
Also, if you pH test the completed ferment,(which is highly recommended in ALL cases) I believe you will realize that the lactic acid will have reached a pH level that will make the addition of vinegar unnecessary for anything other that flavoring.
Enjoy !!
CM

SmokenFire said:
Do not go into vegetable fermentation expecting anything near the amount of activity that you normally see in brewing - esp brewing beer.  Pepper mash might burp once or twice a day - or week - and still be fine.  Some batches I've had weren't 'active' until a couple weeks after being put up.  So long as you don't see any mold or growth it should be good.
Well said!! SF

FITH, everything is looking good from what im seeing.

thanks! hopefully its not just beginners luck- i do tend to research a ton before making something, ive noticed a very very wid range of approaches to hot sauce. is it true that you use a little brine from a completed ferment as a starter in another batch?

fire in the hole! said:
 is it true that you use a little brine from a completed ferment as a starter in another batch?

I do that all the time - especially since I normally use only salt (no hooch or whey as a starter) when fermenting peppers.  A couple tablespoons of a prior mash helps the LAB get a foothold, and I love that the previous batches 'live on' in the new batches.   

fire in the hole! said:
its fermenting in a 24oz mason jar- definitely think its going to be crazy hot- if it is liquid insanity how should i dilute it without screwing the whole thing up? this was my first attempt at fermenting so i didnt know haha

Yes its going to be crazy hot.  Rather than dilute this batch I'd advise you to make more batches that are 'tame' and then use this to add heat when/as necessary.  Remember you can fridge this ferment and it will slow down (almost stop), which will give you plenty of time to use it up.  Also can be used this way to liven up other sauces/salsas/dishes.  You'll find ways ;)

Back