• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First "Batch" of Hot Sauce - Taco Hot Sauce

I've made plenty of single bottles of hot sauce, but this is the first time I've made a "large" batch and bottled into glass bottles.  Here's my contenders:
Untitled by physics202, on Flickr
also some salt and carrots, not shown.

And can't forget the peppers:
A few Jalapenos and Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpions, nice and roasted.

Did the usual cooking and blending and my final product!

Plenty of heat, but also lots of flavor.  Both heat and flavor come more at the back end.  Pretty happy with it.  Next time will take more pics!

fire in the hole! said:
is the pepper pic above the total number you used in the whole batch? curious because i stuffed 35 ghosts in mine (thinking its going to be waaaay hotter than expected)

How big was your batch????? 1 ghost per bottle will bake a rather hot sauce.

Physics202, great looking sauce. I assume it is your intent to use it how you would use Ortega taco sauce or similar?

its fermenting in a 24oz mason jar- definitely think its going to be crazy hot- if it is liquid insanity how should i dilute it without screwing the whole thing up? this was my first attempt at fermenting so i didnt know haha

fire in the hole! said:
is the pepper pic above the total number you used in the whole batch? curious because i stuffed 35 ghosts in mine (thinking its going to be waaaay hotter than expected)
I was going for 1 ghost scorpion per 5oz woozy.  The sauce has heat, but def not melt your face heat.  You can still really taste the flavor of the other ingredients.

Jeff H said:

How big was your batch????? 1 ghost per bottle will bake a rather hot sauce.

Physics202, great looking sauce. I assume it is your intent to use it how you would use Ortega taco sauce or similar?
Ingredients were very similar to other taco sauces that looked up, but I plan to use it on a lot of things.  Put it on some pizza today, pretty delicious.  I was also quite heavy on the garlic which changes it a bit from a taco sauce.

fire in the hole! said:
its fermenting in a 24oz mason jar- definitely think its going to be crazy hot- if it is liquid insanity how should i dilute it without screwing the whole thing up? this was my first attempt at fermenting so i didnt know haha
I'd recommend just adding more of your non pepper ingredients.  Doesn't have to be fermented, could just be added in and use vinegar to balance.

true but being a noob at it - literally my first attempt- i dont know what the total yield will be yet, i think itll be better to bottle it up like normal and use it as an ingredient on future batches

Back