• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First batch of sauce for this season.

pBpBEus.jpg

MC4fFa7.jpg

Decided to make a couple of sauces before the football games today.  Experimented with some fruit in both sauces, which is a new wrinkle for me.  The red sauce is mostly Cayenne peppers with mango and 2 reapers for some extra heat.  The yellow is a mix of Lemon Drop, Yellow Bhuts and pineapple.  We will see how they taste after they rest for a few weeks.  

This is the ferment a few days in.

IMG_6037.jpg

This Kraut Source contraption is pretty cool.  The spring loaded plate has compressed everything well under the brine.

IMG_6038.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

The mash has been bubbling and is staying immersed in the brine, so I am pretty happy.  

Couple of questions for the more experienced fermenters

1.  Is she going to blow because I did not leave enough/any headspace?
2. Should I remove any of the brine at this time?

a little sugestion :) do not put onions in too big ratio with peppers,,taste weird,,it is thich, hot ,, but weird :) 

Question : im in doubt should i mash my pappers in food mill before fermentation or chop it on smaller piesec and then put something for weight ??

GImme your pros and cons , + and - sides,,judgeing to your experience,so  i can easily deacide ??? Im doing third fermentation and every time i mash it in food mill till now :)

thanks guys :)

Nice sauces man! I have a good amount of lemon drops im about to pick and I thought about doing a no lemon added lemon hot sauce with them. Also, have you ever used anything other then olive oil to sautee the peppers? I ask because olive oil can actually cause food to become more bitter when cooked.

Bpoole55 said:
Nice sauces man! I have a good amount of lemon drops im about to pick and I thought about doing a no lemon added lemon hot sauce with them. Also, have you ever used anything other then olive oil to sautee the peppers? I ask because olive oil can actually cause food to become more bitter when cooked.
Thank you. I have been having some fun making them.

Vegetable oil would be fine. I have been skipping the sautéed step and just going straight to the boiling step. In my opinion it wasn't really adding anything to the sauces.

Back