• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First fermented hot sauce - tried the charred chiles thing

Back in late June I got a couple of SFRB of assorted peppers from Wicked Mike. I got a bunch of MOA Scotch bonnets, some chocolate ghosts, douglahs, red brainstrains, and a few others and threw them into my grill pan to char on the grill (charcoal only in my house)

Still warm and into the blender with an onion and a head of roasted garlic and some salt

When I opened I tear gassed my house  :cool:

Put it into the French press with some whey strained from some yogurt and let it ride for about a month.

I saw the French press thing in an issue of America's Test Kitchen. It keeps the mash below the liquid level and worked pretty well.

After that, I put it back into the blender to smooth it out and added a little white vinegar. I didn't test pH so I keep it in the fridge (the bottle isn't cool looking). It's hot! But that was the point :) The charred peppers and roasted garlic are very pronounced. Hopefully I'll have enough of my own homegrowns in a few months to make another batch.

Back